The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
media studies should be banned, what a waste of time and resources
Reply 21
Original post by MrStick
=P It won't. Trust me. I've heard a lot about it, what happens, what sort of scenes it has. And all I can relate to it is 'Lame, waste of time'. It won't 'convert me'. xD

:noway: Fine, Mr think you know it all about horror movies!

:u:
Reply 22
Original post by cybergrad
Vampires that sparkle like fairies, that was pretty horrific.

Made my day! I still can't stop laughing :'D
Some horror films are awful, with over emphasis on a blonde cheerleader screaming while she's "sexily" murdered.

BUT some horrors are works of cinematic genius - The Shining for example. That movie is fantastic.
Reply 24
It's usually very clear whether a movie is a horror movie from it's name and trailer. And there's a lot of information about movies on the internet. Therefore if someone doesn't want to watch horror movies, it's pretty easy not to. So I don't really see a need for them to be banned.

If you don't like the genre then just choose not to watch them.
Horror movies are alright. I like psychological ones.
I hate ones that are all about the gore, I can't bear them (SAW, etc.)
Bad ones and ones that seem to exist for just pure shock value and not to be creative, a genuinely good or well made film or even to be scary but just to exhibition torture or some zany science experiment... those *horror* films should be banned imo
Censored, yes. Banned, no.
Reply 28
Original post by loling909
:noway: Fine, Mr think you know it all about horror movies!

:u:

:eek: Just... not the slightest bit interested in horror movies. A move like Taken is 1000x better than all horror movies. :cool:
Reply 29
No way, they are really good and give you such a rush if they actually manage to scare you. If people don't like them, then don't watch them!

Nothing should ever be banned, people should always have a choice in everything...
They shouldn't be banned, the same way as Opera shouldn't be banned, or sport. I think for your essay, you need to separate a very broad field (Horror) and pick out select examples which you feel should have been banned, and give reasons for this. I would suggest using:

A Serbian film

August underground trilogy

Salo

these three films will give you a good base, if your are arguing why horror films should be banned. However you should consider films like Let the right one in, which are still "horror" films but portray emotion and character relationships in a way alot of "hollywood" films struggle to aspire to.
Reply 31
hell, no. they are so funny sometimes. I love them.
Definitely not. I love horror films. I think its cool how a film has the power to bring out emotions should as dread and fear even though you know you're safe.

What would your reasons be for banning them?
Reply 33
Original post by MrStick
Horror movies are pointless and absolutely boring. Waste of time and money.
That's my opinion. NEVER been interested in horror movies. Don't know what the 'hype' is about them. >_>

Agreed, I just don't get them... They're not scary, because they're not real, and they usually just consist of a man in a mask following someone for two hours, exciting, really gets me on the edge of my seat (ready to leave the room to find some grass to watch grow). They should be banned for being completely pointless and absolutely boring tbh.
Horror movies are amazing, and for the most part, funny. It's always amusing seeing someone make the fatal mistake of going towards the source of the noise, rather than away.

Banning them would be a mistake, as they often generate substantial revenue i.e. Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween, Saw etc.
Reply 35
Original post by jklmn
Agreed, I just don't get them... They're not scary, because they're not real, and they usually just consist of a man in a mask following someone for two hours, exciting, really gets me on the edge of my seat (ready to leave the room to find some grass to watch grow). They should be banned for being completely pointless and absolutely boring tbh.

Woot! Glad to see I'm not in my own world. Seems like our thoughts about horror movies are EXACTLY the same. Like, why would I want to waste 2 hours of my life watching how 2 people are stuck in some room and end up dying in a retarded way. (i.e. SAW =P) Or how people look in the mirror and their reflect picks up a piece of broken glass, cuts their neck and the real person dies or something. And like you said, the main theme of a man in a mask. Horror movies can't come close when compared to Taken. :cool:

Even Pirates of the Caribbean is much better than horror movies. It's a trilogy (for now) that you can watch a lot of times. I find it sad that people watch certain horror movies several times in a row.
Reply 36
Madness. What makes them different to any other film, films are entertainment with their own style. I understand banning films like Cannibal Hollocaust etc etc. But incredible pieces of film making alike Psycho, Jaws or The Saw films demonstrate fantastic artistry and appeal to most people. Not everyone, people have got their own tastes which make the film industry so lucrative. Therefore, the film industry wouldn't survive without Horror films; like the film industry wouldn't survive without Thrillers or Action features.
Reply 37
Original post by MrStick
:eek: Just... not the slightest bit interested in horror movies. A move like Taken is 1000x better than all horror movies. :cool:

Oh yes action movies are cool too. :tongue:
Original post by MrStick
Horror movies are pointless and absolutely boring. Waste of time and money.
That's my opinion. NEVER been interested in horror movies. Don't know what the 'hype' is about them. >_>

u get to watch people die in funny ways :ahee:
Reply 39
nooooo

what will i watch for fun :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending