The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Normandy114
I'm not aware of the rs syllabus, but if it involves as much ethics as it did at GCSE, that could come in handy for medical school interviews as well. From speaking to some F1s, medical ethics seems to be a love of some medical interviewers.

I'm doing a whole section on medical ethics.
I picked euthanasia as my topic to write on..50% of the whole AS being medical ethics I think it would be a nice touch to talk about at MY KCL INTERVIEW :biggrin: (hopefully!!!!!!!!!)
I also do the extended project- will almost definately do it on a medically-related topic..OH YEAHH :tongue:
if there's other people on here wanting to go to the KCL open days,tell me which date you book (if i see you I shall say hi :tongue: ).
lol @ liviaaa's post :smile: poor postman!
Reply 162
what work experience have people done?
and have you started as revision yet?
I need to start revising :redface:
Original post by AwesomeAkhilesh
I'm doing a whole section on medical ethics.
I picked euthanasia as my topic to write on..50% of the whole AS being medical ethics I think it would be a nice touch to talk about at MY KCL INTERVIEW :biggrin: (hopefully!!!!!!!!!)
I also do the extended project- will almost definately do it on a medically-related topic..OH YEAHH :tongue:
if there's other people on here wanting to go to the KCL open days,tell me which date you book (if i see you I shall say hi :tongue: ).

Haha, that's good that you'll be so informed about medical ethics, I know several medical schools give you an example of an ethical dilemma and look for you to evaluate it, so that would come in handy. Any idea what you'll be doing your EP on yet? Mine is on treatment of motor neuron disease and is very interesting at the moment, still have a year to do it!

Original post by DoaaK
what work experience have people done?
and have you started as revision yet?

I've done 1 week shadowing consultants/registrars/F1s; 1 week as a teaching assistant (not sure if I'll use it - communication skills maybe) and I'm starting volunteering at a charity shop this weekend.
Reply 165
My school doesn't do the extended project :/
Reply 166
This thread is scaring me, I got 59/100 D for physics :frown: Chem 85/100 A :smile: Bio 86/100 A S1 maths 91/100 A :smile:, is this good enough, im resitting physics where i hope i dnt forget 2 whole pages in the exam again :frown:, however I got crap gcses though at 4A*s 3As and 3Bs (I didnt know I wanted to do medicine then), I want to apply for keele, liverpool, leceister and barts, and I believe I can get a decent ukcat at around 700 (ps can anyone give me any tips on ukcat and if there are any courses), how hard is it for everybody to get some work experience ive already got a pathology and maxioffacal surgery wrk experience lined up and i go to my local primary school every week, ps when or have you started revision for may yet
Reply 167
It's horrifying that everyone is thinking about next years applications already. Last year I was chilling out, there's still months until UCAS opens for 2012.
That being said, early organisation is very good and I hope you all do fantastically.
Original post by rohitbd
This thread is scaring me, I got 59/100 D for physics :frown: Chem 85/100 A :smile: Bio 86/100 A S1 maths 91/100 A :smile:, is this good enough, im resitting physics where i hope i dnt forget 2 whole pages in the exam again :frown:, however I got crap gcses though at 4A*s 3As and 3Bs (I didnt know I wanted to do medicine then), I want to apply for keele, liverpool, leceister and barts, and I believe I can get a decent ukcat at around 700 (ps can anyone give me any tips on ukcat and if there are any courses), how hard is it for everybody to get some work experience ive already got a pathology and maxioffacal surgery wrk experience lined up and i go to my local primary school every week, ps when or have you started revision for may yet

Your GCSEs are better than mine! I didn't know what I wanted to do at GCSE so I didn't revise and came out with 1A* 5As 4Bs and 1C. For UKCAT there are no courses available (that I know of).
Haha, that's good that you'll be so informed about medical ethics, I know several medical schools give you an example of an ethical dilemma and look for you to evaluate it, so that would come in handy. Any idea what you'll be doing your EP on yet? Mine is on treatment of motor neuron disease and is very interesting at the moment, still have a year to do it!

:smile: yay :wink:

anything to make the admission's process slightly easier is a good thing. :rolleyes:

my EP is probably going to be a study of the difference between South Asian and Caucasian diet and lifestyle (I live in Leicester-go figure :colone: ) and how it affects health and as a result stress on the NHS.
should be interesting particularly as its self-inspired.
I have the worst diet ever yet i do loads of sport.. :tongue:
two words: chilli paneer.
google it. :cool:
Reply 170
rohitbd - wow that's annoying missing out 2 pages!! :/

Also are you aware Liverpool is PBL, if you didn't you may want to check it out - though it may suit you.
Reply 171
Your GCSEs are better than mine! I didn't know what I wanted to do at GCSE so I didn't revise and came out with 1A* 5As 4Bs and 1C. For UKCAT there are no courses available (that I know of).

Same but heyhoe we could always ace our alevels and do our best in our ukcat, and we would be quite competitive
@ liviaaa- don't worry! it doesnt give us any major advantage,just something to talk about in the interview.
Reply 173
Original post by liviaaa
rohitbd - wow that's annoying missing out 2 pages!! :/

Also are you aware Liverpool is PBL, if you didn't you may want to check it out - though it may suit you.

I know right!:angry:
I dont get what other methods of learning there are in medicine apart from pbl (im new lol):confused: and why it is a disadvantage
@ rohitbd- yeah,medicine is based on so much more than gcses..yet..having good grades does help.. *shrugs*
Reply 175
Original post by AwesomeAkhilesh
:smile: yay :wink:

anything to make the admission's process slightly easier is a good thing. :rolleyes:

my EP is probably going to be a study of the difference between South Asian and Caucasian diet and lifestyle (I live in Leicester-go figure :colone: ) and how it affects health and as a result stress on the NHS.
should be interesting particularly as its self-inspired.
I have the worst diet ever yet i do loads of sport.. :tongue:
two words: chilli paneer.
google it. :cool:

You gotta love paneer, with some gharam roti lol
am doing biology, chemistry, maths, latin and critical thinking, but dropping the maths and critical thinking after AS

and im probably going to apply to UCL, kings and imperial... not sure where else yet, seriously need to start booking some open days D:

bearing in mind i only got 2 A*s at gcse though, due to my situation at the time (im expected to perform much better at AS and A2), what are the chances of the above mentioned universities actually taking a second look at my application? should i be setting my standards lower? any help appreciated, thanks :smile:
Original post by rohitbd
You gotta love paneer, with some gharam roti lol

So true bro :biggrin:

i'm going to get my mum to mail it over :wink: haha :rolleyes:
Reply 178
Original post by rohitbd
I know right!:angry:
I dont get what other methods of learning there are in medicine apart from pbl (im new lol):confused: and why it is a disadvantage

There are 3 types. None are better than the other - it's just about how you work best.

Problem Based Learning (PBL) is where they split you into groups and you pretty much have to find all the information out yourself. However because you're in groups, you're only as good as the worst person in your group.

Integrated is where it's a mixture of learning styles.

Traditional is where for the first 3 years you purely to lectures etc, and the next 3 years you do all clinical based. Mostly used in oxbridge.
Original post by seasons of wither
am doing biology, chemistry, maths, latin and critical thinking, but dropping the maths and critical thinking after AS

and im probably going to apply to UCL, kings and imperial... not sure where else yet, seriously need to start booking some open days D:

bearing in mind i only got 2 A*s at gcse though, due to my situation at the time (im expected to perform much better at AS and A2), what are the chances of the above mentioned universities actually taking a second look at my application? should i be setting my standards lower? any help appreciated, thanks :smile:

i'm guessing ur gonna need a high ukcat for kings and a high bmat for UCL and imperial :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending