The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medicine Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2080
Original post by Andrew Mooney
Hey mate, have you decided if you're going to re-apply next year?

going to uni this yr for medical engineering, if it's worth it i'll do post grad :smile:
Original post by dmz
going to uni this yr for medical engineering, if it's worth it i'll do post grad :smile:

Alright mate best of luck :smile:
Reply 2082
Original post by Andrew Mooney
Alright mate best of luck :smile:

Thanks, Good luck with Glasgow also :biggrin:
Reply 2083
anyone know what the tuition fees are for glasgow med? im fillin out student finance lol.
Reply 2084
Original post by cuhlowey
anyone know what the tuition fees are for glasgow med? im fillin out student finance lol.

2895 me thinks. I researched into Glasgow way too much :bawling:
Original post by dmz
2895 me thinks. I researched into Glasgow way too much :bawling:

Way too orgainised! Lol...I need to think about this although I'm sure I'll be paying the fees myself. Just hoping will get the full loan to help out.
Reply 2086
Original post by sweetchilli
Way too orgainised! Lol...I need to think about this although I'm sure I'll be paying the fees myself. Just hoping will get the full loan to help out.

I spent a lot of my gap year so far unemployed, shame i only had time to do proper research long after my interview :lol:
Does anyone know if there are still more offers to be given out? Still havn't heard anything after interview!
Original post by Jarlath123
Anyone now anything about the Cairncross house accommodation? noisy area, or dead, kinda want something in the middle? Any idea how many people share the showers and tiolets? please tell me its not like 25 or something ridiculous lol.. and yeah just any information about it that isnt already on the glasgow website? Thanks :smile:

Don't know about toilet sharing, but it will likely by 5 or 6 at most. I stayed quite near Cairncross for a while, and its a pretty decent area, about 15 minutes walk from uni and as its just off Old Dumbarton road it's not too quiet. Got a couple of pubs a few mins away and a Tesco Express about 5 mins away that's open til 11pm.
Original post by Sammi22
Don't know about toilet sharing, but it will likely by 5 or 6 at most. I stayed quite near Cairncross for a while, and its a pretty decent area, about 15 minutes walk from uni and as its just off Old Dumbarton road it's not too quiet. Got a couple of pubs a few mins away and a Tesco Express about 5 mins away that's open til 11pm.

Thanks, just didn't like the thought of sharing a tiolet with loads of people that had been out that night before lol. But that sounds like a good number. I like the sound of it out of all the ones best i think, hope i get it :smile:.. Thanks again :smile:
Just got a rejection there now ... on the other hand .. just firmed Edinburgh...so happy times people ...best of luck!!!!
Reply 2091
Original post by stewpot20
Just got a rejection there now ... on the other hand .. just firmed Edinburgh...so happy times people ...best of luck!!!!

You just made me yit myself there, I still haven't heard back. Got my formal tomorrow and can't get this off my mind
Reply 2092
Got a letter in the post from glasgow today with Criminal records forms and other information :biggrin: exciting stuff
Just firmed Glasgow there :biggrin: need advice on accomadation though. Which are the best halls. I'm 18 and want to really enjoy college life; but I wanna get my work dome too. Any advice is greatly appreciated cause I can't make it to applicants day...
Original post by louth4sam
Just firmed Glasgow there :biggrin: need advice on accomadation though. Which are the best halls. I'm 18 and want to really enjoy college life; but I wanna get my work dome too. Any advice is greatly appreciated cause I can't make it to applicants day...

I think you should base this on the actual style/location/facilities of the accommodation rather than it's social life. You will have an amazing social life and attend lots of parties, regardless of where you stay! You have the library on campus to study when you need to so don't stress about having time to get your work done.

Queen Margaret - 20 mins from uni - en-suite
Murano - 25 mins from uni - 10/12 people sharing 2 bathrooms
Student Apartments - 2 mins from uni - variable no. sharing bathrooms
Kelvinhaugh - 15 mins from uni - 5 sharing bathroom
Cairncross - 15 mins from uni - variable no. sharing bathroom

Have a look on the website http://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/accommodation/residenceprofiles/

Would not recommend the catered halls at Wolfson, as these are a bus ride away from uni, and as they are close to the vet school, are mainly occupied by vet students.

Would also not recommend Victoria Hall, as this is a longer bus ride, and is mainly full of students attending Caledonian university. However it is close to the city centre, if you would rather be there.

There's a comparison of facilities here:
http://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/accommodation/facilitiescomparison/

Any questions, PM me :smile:
Reply 2095
My daughter got her info pack from Glasgow today, for any 2012 appplicants it states they are redeveloping the course. ''PBL will continue to have a central role but will be reinforced by additional lectures,clinical teaching and teaching in clinical specialities''.
I am unsure about Glasgow (for medicine) as I have read alot of negatives, but my daughter wants to go, even though she had a choice. Hopefully I will feel reassured on applicants day next week.
Original post by athole
My daughter got her info pack from Glasgow today, for any 2012 appplicants it states they are redeveloping the course. ''PBL will continue to have a central role but will be reinforced by additional lectures,clinical teaching and teaching in clinical specialities''.
I am unsure about Glasgow (for medicine) as I have read alot of negatives, but my daughter wants to go, even though she had a choice. Hopefully I will feel reassured on applicants day next week.

What are those negatives??
Reply 2097
Most from this site! A DIY course, not enough input/advice from staff. Do not have enough knowledge myself, so will chat to the current students during the tour.
Original post by athole
Most from this site! A DIY course, not enough input/advice from staff. Do not have enough knowledge myself, so will chat to the current students during the tour.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Glasgow have a new Dean in place, and lots of the changes are aimed at helping students feel more supported (which is one of the risks with PBL unfortunately). Also, there will be more physiology/anatomy included in the first year, combating the idea that Glasgow Doctors make poorly trained surgeons.

Glasgow also encourage feedback from students every week by filling out a questionnaire about how they found their PBL/tutorial sessions. Changes are based on these feedback questionnaires and are implemented fairly quickly.

All the students I know that go to Glasgow like it, though I know a good few failed the course altogether. If your daughter is the self-driven and self-motivated type, she will fair well in Glasgow. :biggrin:

I just wish I'd gotten in :frown: :'(
Reply 2099
Original post by Harbour Seal
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Glasgow have a new Dean in place, and lots of the changes are aimed at helping students feel more supported (which is one of the risks with PBL unfortunately). Also, there will be more physiology/anatomy included in the first year, combating the idea that Glasgow Doctors make poorly trained surgeons.

Glasgow also encourage feedback from students every week by filling out a questionnaire about how they found their PBL/tutorial sessions. Changes are based on these feedback questionnaires and are implemented fairly quickly.

All the students I know that go to Glasgow like it, though I know a good few failed the course altogether. If your daughter is the self-driven and self-motivated type, she will fair well in Glasgow. :biggrin:

I just wish I'd gotten in :frown: :'(

Is it weird we know a little too much about glasgow and the *******'s rejected us?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending