The Student Room Group

Edexcel's GCE O-levels

Anyone know how many UCAS points one of Edexcel's GCE O-levels are worth? I'm thinking of taking one in Turkish.
Reply 1
Original post by Quentin
Anyone know how many UCAS points one of Edexcel's GCE O-levels are worth? I'm thinking of taking one in Turkish.
Nothing at all.
Reply 2
They're most likely seen as GCSE equivalents
Reply 3
Original post by Minerva
Nothing at all.

Really? Do you know why that is? And if this is the case is it a waste of time me studying one at all? I haven't got a language A-level and the course I want to study at university asks that I prove I am capable of learning a language. These O-levels seemed perfect as I'd only need to sit one exam and don't have to worry about arranging a speaking exam.
Original post by Quentin
Really? Do you know why that is? And if this is the case is it a waste of time me studying one at all? I haven't got a language A-level and the course I want to study at university asks that I prove I am capable of learning a language. These O-levels seemed perfect as I'd only need to sit one exam and don't have to worry about arranging a speaking exam.

From Edexcel site: 'GCE O levels were replaced by a new suite of IGCSEs in 2009'. I don't think all of them were, but basically what it means as they are seen as GCSE equivalents and therefore don't get you any UCAS points.
Reply 5
Original post by Quentin

GCSEs don't have any UCAS points...

Original post by rofflewaffle
From Edexcel site: 'GCE O levels were replaced by a new suite of IGCSEs in 2009'. I don't think all of them were, but basically what it means as they are seen as GCSE equivalents and therefore don't get you any UCAS points.

Pretty sure they were seen as GCSE equivalents before 2009 as well! I did my O Levels in 2008/2009 doesn't mean I'd get any extra UCAS points. Plus CIE is still offering O Levels.
Reply 6
Original post by Quentin
Then by all means do it - if you need to provide evidence of ability in languages, this would seem as good a way as any. Just because it will add value to your application doesn't mean it must have a UCAS tariff - most unis require GCSE Maths and English at grade C, but neither adds anything to your UCAS score either.
Original post by aura1947
GCSEs don't have any UCAS points...

Pretty sure they were seen as GCSE equivalents before 2009 as well! I did my O Levels in 2008/2009 doesn't mean I'd get any extra UCAS points. Plus CIE is still offering O Levels.

Yeah that's what I was trying to imply, did you do all yours as O levels? They look pretty hard.
Reply 8
Original post by rofflewaffle
Yeah that's what I was trying to imply, did you do all yours as O levels? They look pretty hard.

Yup! Had no option back then; there still isn't any actually. Pretty much all the schools here only offer CIE O/A Levels.

O Levels weren't too hard really. AS/A Levels were a tad more tough because unlike you people, we don't follow a modular approach...Which kind of sucks. But meh.
Original post by aura1947
Yup! Had no option back then; there still isn't any actually. Pretty much all the schools here only offer CIE O/A Levels.

O Levels weren't too hard really. AS/A Levels were a tad more tough because unlike you people, we don't follow a modular approach...Which kind of sucks. But meh.

I do one CIE IGCSE, which I suppose is comparable (sort of) and it's hard. Not envious of you having to do it the way you did :p:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending