The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by Angury
Good luck everyone! I've been looking through the threads around here and it's been quite a suprise to see some amazing people being turned down from universities. It's making me really nervous. I'm currently studying Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Maths (going to drop Maths) and I've just ordered the 600 questions UKCAT book.
I've also been checking out some of the university websites and I really like Edinburgh. I'm planning to visit the city in the summer as well as some other universities.
One thing I am worried about though is volunteering and work experience. I thought I'd be alright as I've done a bit of both (and learnt from it) but after reading about various applicants on TSR, I've realised that I haven't really done enough.. :P

Whooop same A Levels :biggrin: Though if I'm honest uni's would much prefer you to drop psychology, as it's seen as a soft subject! They would prioritise a very similar applicant to you with maths rather than pyschology.
Reply 241
Original post by Angury
Good luck everyone! I've been looking through the threads around here and it's been quite a suprise to see some amazing people being turned down from universities. It's making me really nervous. I'm currently studying Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Maths (going to drop Maths) and I've just ordered the 600 questions UKCAT book.
I've also been checking out some of the university websites and I really like Edinburgh. I'm planning to visit the city in the summer as well as some other universities.
One thing I am worried about though is volunteering and work experience. I thought I'd be alright as I've done a bit of both (and learnt from it) but after reading about various medical applicants on TSR, I've realised that I haven't really done enough.. :tongue:

That's exactly how I feel! Btw are you from NI too? I tried all the NHS Trusts here to get work exp but seems like unless you know someone there's no hope of getting any
Reply 242
Hey guys,

Good luck getting into medicine..I'm glad I never have to go through this process again :smile:. If you need ANY help with anything related to medicine, just PM and I'll help you as much as possible :smile:
Original post by liviaaa

Original post by liviaaa
He got 10 A* at GCSE and 6 A's also at A level. Hmm maybe he had more extra curriclaur / work experience?

Haha who knows? It will always remain as a mystery :tongue:
Original post by Gowrav
Hey guys,

Good luck getting into medicine..I'm glad I never have to go through this process again :smile:. If you need ANY help with anything related to medicine, just PM and I'll help you as much as possible :smile:

Which medical school did you go to? What kind of work experience did you have prior to applying?
Reply 245
What things have you all done that are going to make you stand out? (Assuming everyone has good grades, work experience, can play an instrument and plays sport.)
Original post by atomos
SCRUBS IS AWESOME.

Lol, sometimes when I'm learning a song, because I'm really slow at doing it from the actual sheet music because it's been so long since I properly did piano, I give up and look at tutorials on youtube.......but the uni's dont need to know that :wink:

Hmm im sensing that you are a scrubs fan :wink: what they dont know can't hurt them lol and anyways... its using your initiative - you don't know how to do something so you go and look for another way to do it :smile:

i really want to try and come up with something original that many people won't have to try and stand out, but i fear everyone has done everything - and i can't think of anytihng lol
Original post by liviaaa
What things have you all done that are going to make you stand out? (Assuming everyone has good grades, work experience, can play an instrument and plays sport.)

Although loads of people do this, I tried to use my extended project to make me stand out. Because you research and do the project on whatever the hell you like, by chosing a medical related one it might help to stand out. I was lucky because the rough area i did my project on came up in an article i had to read and answer question about in interview :smile: although on the down side, they may have expected better answers from me than they got :tongue:
Original post by liviaaa

I've done quite a lot of work exp in a primary school, and got asked about that a fair bit at my St Andrews interview, so I think that made them slightly more interested in me...maybe. Other than that I'm pretty much a generic Medicine Applicant.

Oh, and I put in mine how I got the highest mark for german in my school :colone: I thought it might help my case somehow because its something different than biology or chemistry etc....although getting the highest mark in either of those two subjects would probably be a better thing to bam about but ach well
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 249
Original post by atomos
Just as long as you're able to speak about what you gained from your work experience and what you learned, rather than making it a list, you'll be fine :smile:

Thanks for replying! I was thinking the same as well - to be honest it was only after my work experience that I realised that I wanted to study medicine. I have learnt quite a bit both through volunteering and my work experience, but it is a little daunting when you read through other people's long list of things they have done, and compare it with your own shorter list.

Original post by liviaaa
Whooop same A Levels :biggrin: Though if I'm honest uni's would much prefer you to drop psychology, as it's seen as a soft subject! They would prioritise a very similar applicant to you with maths rather than pyschology.

Noo! I was really worried that Psychology would be seen as a soft subject but I was looking through the universities websites and it doesn't seem like they mind too much (or do they really..? :frown:) I love Psychology, it's my favourite subject - it's so interesting. To be honest, I hate AS Maths with a passion and if I don't drop it then I will probably end up getting a C at A Level which certainly won't help with my application. :tongue:

Original post by cz100
That's exactly how I feel! Btw are you from NI too? I tried all the NHS Trusts here to get work exp but seems like unless you know someone there's no hope of getting any

Hey! Yeah, I'm from NI. I've been looking around for work experience as well but it seems that they will only really accept you through Charter:

http://charter-ni.com/

Luckily my school offered us placements at various hospitals for a week through Charter so I managed to get some work experience (which is better than nothing). By the way, are you thinking about applying to Queens?
Original post by Angury
One thing I am worried about though is volunteering and work experience. I thought I'd be alright as I've done a bit of both (and learnt from it) but after reading about various medical applicants on TSR, I've realised that I haven't really done enough.. :tongue:

Definitely know that feeling.

Don't forget that Quality>Quantity when it comes to work experience. Enough work experience to honestly know what a medical career is like, and enough volunteering to show empathy and commitment and you're basically done quantity wise. Personal statements, and thus the interpretation of the work experience is so important that it is more than likely the cause of a lot of these seemingly perfect applicants with several rejections.
Reply 251
Original post by Angury

Noo! I was really worried that Psychology would be seen as a soft subject but I was looking through the universities websites and it doesn't seem like they mind too much (or do they really..? :frown:) I love Psychology, it's my favourite subject - it's so interesting. To be honest, I hate AS Maths with a passion and if I don't drop it then I will probably end up getting a C at A Level which certainly won't help with my application. :tongue:

If you love it that much why not do a psychology degree?

Also the uni's aren't very honest for example Birmingham seems the most honest saying yoiu need at least 7A*s from GCSE with A*S in maths, english and science at GCSE too. The rest such as Cambridge say all they want is at least 5 GCSE's C and above for medicine. Purrrleaseee! I wish they'd all just be totally honest like Birmingham! Just a warning, they will favour those who do none-soft subjects etccc :smile:
Hello! Reapplicant this year :smile:

Aiming for Glasgow, anywhere else would be a bonus (but also a little pointless). Single parent, 24, predicted AAAAA at higher (History, English, Human Biology, Chemistry, Maths (external candidate)) have done two previous years of an English Literature degree before falling preggers... Oops... Decided on medicine again as I've wanted to be a doctor since school, but just didn't get good enough grades :smile: Third time's a charm, right? RIGHT?

*sigh*

Currently deciding between an Access course or full-time hospital work... Which would look better? Perhaps part-time work, full-time access course? Hmmmmm...

Anyway, hello applicants! See you on the other side eh? :wink:
Reply 253
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope

Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Here we go again :colone:

Best of luck everyone :smile:

Why has this person's post been negged multiple times? A lot of people are thinking 'here we go again' because they're reapplicants, seems fair enough and TooSexyForMyStethoscope was wishign everyone luck

And hi everyone, be ye first time applicants, second time or mature/graduate (like me), good luck! I'm sure I'll be visiting this thread a lot to keep track.

What's everyone been doing to prepare and where are you thinking of applying?
Reply 254
Hiya,

Starting voluntary work at charity shop, hopefully get volunteer application for hospital submitted this week
(teacher's being mean =(...) and have 1 week's care home arranged for easter

im thinkin bout barts and keele for now.
Original post by cashy
Hiya,

Starting voluntary work at charity shop, hopefully get volunteer application for hospital submitted this week
(teacher's being mean =(...) and have 1 week's care home arranged for easter

im thinkin bout barts and keele for now.

I start charity shop work this weekend, is it as boring as I'm expecting?
Reply 256
Original post by Harbour Seal

Original post by Harbour Seal
Hello! Reapplicant this year :smile:

Aiming for Glasgow, anywhere else would be a bonus (but also a little pointless). Single parent, 24, predicted AAAAA at higher (History, English, Human Biology, Chemistry, Maths (external candidate)) have done two previous years of an English Literature degree before falling preggers... Oops... Decided on medicine again as I've wanted to be a doctor since school, but just didn't get good enough grades :smile: Third time's a charm, right? RIGHT?

*sigh*

Currently deciding between an Access course or full-time hospital work... Which would look better? Perhaps part-time work, full-time access course? Hmmmmm...

Anyway, hello applicants! See you on the other side eh? :wink:

Hey there, Access courses are great (I'm doing the COWA one in September), but going by your background I'd say you'd do fine with work experience in a hospital, as you already have 2 science A-levels (or were those GCSE's? Either way, good predicted grades there well done). Plus you have already been to Uni, many applicants haven't.

Whichever option you choose basically would benefit you, but was just giving my personal opinion that hospital full-time work seems to suit most =)
Reply 257
Original post by Andrew Mooney
Which medical school did you go to? What kind of work experience did you have prior to applying?

I applied this year, currently have 2 offers, waiting on one more. I did a lot, observation course at my local hospital, 5 years voluntary work with people who have mental illness, carer for an autistic child, 1 week pharmacy placement, 2 weeks day care centre for the elderly and working as a care assistant.
Reply 258
Original post by liviaaa

If we assume everyone has these, then I'm screwed. :/
Really want to get in Southampton :biggrin: taking IB Higher-Chem, Bio, French Standard-English, Maths, Psychology

Latest

Trending

Trending