The Student Room Group

is india a superpower?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by nonotrly
1) India don't have skyscrapers, 2) a space program, 3) no-one mentions them, 4) they don't have shiny robotic technology things, 5) don't have a worldwide company in technology or even cars, 6) a degree from there isn't impressive, and a mansion there costs about £100,000...

...so I do not consider them a superpower.

1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_India
Oh wait, they do have skyscrapers. In fact, they have quite a lot. And many more are planned, including this baby: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_Tower

2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India%27s_space_program
Oh wait, they do have a space programme

3) With a population of 1.2 billion and a GDP of $4 trillion that is growing extremely fast, everyone even mildly intellectual in global current affairs is raving about the progress of India's economy. Only an ignoramus such as yourself would be insular to news articles referring to India's increasing power. I need not post any articles published today about India, they are too numerous to count.

4) This is the most babyish and childish thing that I have come across on TSR. Are you two years old or something? I can't even post any evidence to counter this purile claim because it is so vague and nonsensical. But I'll assume it relates to your next completely wrong point...

5) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tata_Group Oh wait, India does have a multinational corporation that deals in technology and cars. In fact, Tata comprises of 114 companies and operates in over 80 countries. From wikipedia on India's automobile industry: The Automotive industry in India is one of the largest in the world and one of the fastest growing globally. India manufactures over 11 million vehicles(including 2 wheeled and 4 wheeled) and exports about 1.5 million every year. It is the world's second largest manufacturer of motorcycles, with annual sales exceeding 8.5 million in 2009.

6) From wikipedia: Three Indian universities were listed in the Times Higher Education list of the world’s top 200 universities Indian Institutes of Technology, Indian Institutes of Management, and Jawaharlal Nehru University in 2005 and 2006. Six Indian Institutes of Technology and the Birla Institute of Technology and Science - Pilani were listed among the top 20 science and technology schools in Asia by Asiaweek. The Indian School of Business situated in Hyderabad was ranked number 12 in global MBA rankings by the Financial Times of London in 2010 while the All India Institute of Medical Sciences has been recognized as a global leader in medical research and treatment.
I doubt you'll ever get into a university that has even a fragment of the respect and reputation that these have

7) Firstly, your definition of a mansion is entirely subjective. From my glance over India house prices, a mansion in your books (costing £100,000) is a 6 bedroom house with a large garden....hardly a mansion by anyone's standards. You also fail to recognise the extremely important factor of exchange rates. I doubt you've even heard of that term. The Indian Rupee is weak in comparison to the pound, that means that Indian goods will seem cheaper to an English buyer. The truth is though, in Rupees, these mansions will cost a fortune to domestic buyers (just like a mansion in England will cost a fortune to an Englishman) - it's all comparative.

Open your eyes kid and educate yourself. You embody all that is ignorant and immature. If had argued your point with clear, factual and mature evidence then I would take you seriously........but you are sooo beneath me it's comical
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 41
Not unless China and Brazil are. At the moment only the USA, but I guess China, (then possibly EU) and then India soon.
Reply 42
Original post by The Rock
wait and see? there's not much to see apart from Indians living below the poverty line and living a life surrounded by cow **** everywhere.

Even your army is ****, couldn't even properly take down a few jabronis hijacking a hotel.

Your extreme prejudice mixed with extreme stupidity is rather alarming. I'll admit there is great economic inequality within India, but that is the same nearly all countries, including the US and UK (I'm guessing your naive patriotism lies within one of those localities). India has a middle class of 500 million people though, that is greater than the entire population of the US or EU. And what basis is your opinion of the Indian army built on? Nothing. Seriously, get your head outside of your ignorant arse and educate yourself on worldy current affairs.
Original post by therealOG
Oh wait, they do have skyscrapers. In fact, they have quite a lot. And many more are planned, including this baby: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_Tower
The vast majority of these skyscrapers are concrete boners, and they are built because it's much cheaper to build a tall tower than buying lots of land.

3) With a population of 1.2 billion and a GDP of $4 trillion that is growing extremely fast, everyone even mildly intellectual in global current affairs is raving about the progress of India's economy. Only an ignoramus such as yourself would be insular to news articles referring to India's increasing power. I need not post any articles published today about India, they are too numerous to count.
Where did you get the 4 trillion figure from? In nominal terms its just over 1 trillion. Whilst I understand its unfair to use nominal rates because some goods cost cheaper over there, most items such as cars/properties/electronic items cost the same if not more than the West
4) This is the most babyish and childish thing that I have come across on TSR. Are you two years old or something? I can't even post any evidence to counter this purile claim because it is so vague and nonsensical. But I'll assume it relates to your next completely wrong point...

5) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tata_Group Oh wait, India does have a multinational corporation that deals in technology and cars. In fact, Tata comprises of 114 companies and operates in over 80 countries. From wikipedia on India's automobile industry: The Automotive industry in India is one of the largest in the world and one of the fastest growing globally. India manufactures over 11 million vehicles(including 2 wheeled and 4 wheeled) and exports about 1.5 million every year. It is the world's second largest manufacturer of motorcycles, with annual sales exceeding 8.5 million in 2009.
TATA do own JLR, but their own cars like the Indica are pathetic to say the least.

6) From wikipedia: Three Indian universities were listed in the Times Higher Education list of the world’s top 200 universities Indian Institutes of Technology, Indian Institutes of Management, and Jawaharlal Nehru University in 2005 and 2006. Six Indian Institutes of Technology and the Birla Institute of Technology and Science - Pilani were listed among the top 20 science and technology schools in Asia by Asiaweek. The Indian School of Business situated in Hyderabad was ranked number 12 in global MBA rankings by the Financial Times of London in 2010 while the All India Institute of Medical Sciences has been recognized as a global leader in medical research and treatment.
I doubt you'll ever get into a university that has even a fragment of the respect and reputation that these have
IIM/ISB have a global reputation amongst employers, and IIT/AIIMS is on par with Imperial College. The rest don't have a worldwide reputation at ALL.
7) Firstly, your definition of a mansion is entirely subjective. From my glance over India house prices, a mansion in your books (costing £100,000) is a 6 bedroom house with a large garden....hardly a mansion by anyone's standards. You also fail to recognise the extremely important factor of exchange rates. I doubt you've even heard of that term. The Indian Rupee is weak in comparison to the pound, that means that Indian goods will seem cheaper to an English buyer. The truth is though, in Rupees, these mansions will cost a fortune to domestic buyers (just like a mansion in England will cost a fortune to an Englishman) - it's all comparative.
Properties in the metro's cost the same as London.
Open your eyes kid and educate yourself. You embody all that is ignorant and immature. If had argued your point with clear, factual and mature evidence then I would take you seriously........but you are sooo beneath me it's comical

Few corrections.
Reply 44

Not that I read it once I realised it was essay size, but WTF was that??

'Serious Business' has rarely been more apt here.
Reply 45
Original post by ssalomov
Come on,
How would you describe a superpower ?
Yeah, I agree that the USA can be said as a Superpower country, but even the USSR was never a superpower except military might.
I guess, the world has enough place for just one superpower.
Do you really think that China, Russia or even the UK can compete or have an influence as the USA ?
And by the way,
I am not Indian, Not Pakistani. Not Russian and Not American either. Not British or Not Chinese.

So what are you then, because you've covered all the possibilities LOL
Reply 46
Your extreme prejudice mixed with extreme stupidity is rather alarming. I'll admit there is great economic inequality within India, but that is the same nearly all countries, including the US and UK (I'm guessing your naive patriotism lies within one of those localities). India has a middle class of 500 million people though, that is greater than the entire population of the US or EU. And what basis is your opinion of the Indian army built on? Nothing. Seriously, get your head outside of your ignorant arse and educate yourself on worldy current affairs.

Yeah yeah...an Indian singing praises of his own country. Surprise surprise.

Why don't you get your head outside of your mamma's delusional patriotic ass and talk about India objectively.

I'd very much like to see those douchebags who talk about India as it's paradise on earth to put their money where their mouth is....if it's so great why don't you shut the **** up and piss off back to that place then? You'd fit into the surroundings pretty well, you're nothing more than the cow **** splattered all over the roads anyway.

Oh and your four fathers were our bitches for many generations, we owned your "almighty" asses.
Reply 47
Yeah yeah...an Indian singing praises of his own country. Surprise surprise.

Why don't you get your head outside of your mamma's delusional patriotic ass and talk about India objectively.

I'd very much like to see those douchebags who talk about India as it's paradise on earth to put their money where their mouth is....if it's so great why don't you shut the **** up and piss off back to that place then? You'd fit into the surroundings pretty well, you're nothing more than the cow **** splattered all over the roads anyway.

Oh and your four fathers were our bitches for many generations, we owned your "almighty" asses.

I'm not singing India's praises, I acknowledge that a lot of development and reform has to be undertaken before India can be truly classified as a superpower. You don't really seem capable or intelligent enough for a civilised and engaging argument so I'll leave it there. Enjoy the future mate, hope it treats you well. I'll be doing awesome no matter what you think of India and it's people; this Indian's gonna graduate from a world class university and rake in the rewards.
Reply 48
I'm not singing India's praises, I acknowledge that a lot of development and reform has to be undertaken before India can be truly classified as a superpower. You don't really seem capable or intelligent enough for a civilised and engaging argument so I'll leave it there. Enjoy the future mate, hope it treats you well. I'll be doing awesome no matter what you think of India and it's people; this Indian's gonna graduate from a world class university and rake in the rewards.

Pahahahaha, little boy thinking he's something because he goes to a good university :rolleyes: because obviously everybody gets top class degrees. There's no possibility that you finish with a 3rd is there? Or that you spend your life reading books that you lack the skills to do a job in the real world.

lol rake in the rewards.........the only reward you will get is an ass whoopin' by The Rock AND THE MILLIONSSSSSSSS

But to cut that bull ****, yeah I do think it will become a superpower in a few decades though I don't think it will have the political influence on the world like the US. I think it will take over a century for it to be a prosperous nation.
Reply 49
Original post by prospectivEEconomist
Few corrections.

The vast majority of these skyscrapers are concrete boners, and they are built because it's much cheaper to build a tall tower than buying lots of land.

I was just refuting the other user's view that India has no skyscrapers. I myself thought that the user's view that a country's development is represented by the number of skyscrapers was ludicrous - look at the European cities...

Where did you get the 4 trillion figure from? In nominal terms its just over 1 trillion. Whilst I understand its unfair to use nominal rates because some goods cost cheaper over there, most items such as cars/properties/electronic items cost the same if not more than the West

I was using the purchasing power parity figures as it allows for comparison between countries with different currencies. Therefore this is the more relevant figure.

TATA do own JLR, but their own cars like the Indica are pathetic to say the least.

They are pathetic in your own view, but to the millions of people just entering the middle class in India these cars fit the job description perfectly. In fact, the Nano (and Tata Motors) has won countless international car awards for its innovation.

IIM/ISB have a global reputation amongst employers, and IIT/AIIMS is on par with Imperial College. The rest don't have a worldwide reputation at ALL.

You do realise there are 15 IIT's and 10 IIM's? That's 25 universities that are extremely competitive and internationally reknown. Not to mention the others that were mentioned in the wikipedia article that are highly respected (but not by your almighty judgement).
Neither India nor China will be superpowers, just very large great powers. They have proven themselves unwilling to get involved in affairs around the world in a diplomatic or military capacity beyond negotiating deals for extracting resources with poor nations.

I think we're about to enter a stage where there's a lot of great powers competing on the world stage rather than a single or a handful of superpowers. Russia, China, India, the EU, Brazil, Canada, Australia & New Zealand, Mexico, Indonesia, South Korea, Singapore, Turkey, South Africa and Egypt are all meant to see a very profitable century of rapid development, and whilst the US and Japan will lose some of their influence and economic might I think both will remain great powers much as we have done in the wake of WWII. I think such potent competition on a truly global scale between these many diverse cultures will drive a new renaissance in technology, engineering and philosophy.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by Jamil1987
So what are you then, because you've covered all the possibilities LOL

Well, I am a neutral person. So I can say I am not biased towards any nation:smile:
Reply 52
Pahahahaha, little boy thinking he's something because he goes to a good university :rolleyes: because obviously everybody gets top class degrees. There's no possibility that you finish with a 3rd is there? Or that you spend your life reading books that you lack the skills to do a job in the real world.

Well, I'm very confident in my ability to get a 2.1 or 1st. I got 10A*s and 1A at GCSE (and also an A in add Maths), 5A's at AS (with a 94% UMS average) and am on track to get 3A*s at A-level. Couple that with some awesome social skills and you've got a beast like me.

lol rake in the rewards.........the only reward you will get is an ass whoopin' by The Rock AND THE MILLIONSSSSSSSS

Firstly, stop pretending to be The Rock. The actual guy is pretty cool unlike you. Secondly, MMA is where it's at, WWE is for pussies.

But to cut that bull ****, yeah I do think it will become a superpower in a few decades though I don't think it will have the political influence on the world like the US. I think it will take over a century for it to be a prosperous nation.

See, why couldn't you have come out with this relevant and thoughtful opinion before instead of spewing out racist drivel? It wasn't too hard, was it?
Reply 53
It's an 'emerging superpower'
Reply 54
If its industrial links with the UK and Europe strengthen, then it will be soon.
Reply 55
Well, I'm very confident in my ability to get a 2.1 or 1st. I got 10A*s and 1A at GCSE (and also an A in add Maths), 5A's at AS (with a 94% UMS average) and am on track to get 3A*s at A-level. Couple that with some awesome social skills and you've got a beast like me.

Firstly, stop pretending to be The Rock. The actual guy is pretty cool unlike you. Secondly, MMA is where it's at, WWE is for pussies.

See, why couldn't you have come out with this relevant and thoughtful opinion before instead of spewing out racist drivel? It wasn't too hard, was it?

3 A*s....is that it? :rolleyes: Your self-proclaimed 'beast' opinion of yourself has just proved how much of a monkey's ass you are.

Why dont YOU stop pretending to be a dick. Oh wait, that really is you :colone:

I thought you said you were clever, dumbass? Since when is being Indian a race? and its not racist if its simple fact....there is poverty in india and there is cow **** all over. YOU GONNA DISPUTE THAT HUH???
Am I being really stupid, or am I the only one who is going whaaat...?! I thought super-powers were things like invisibility etc... someone fill me in as to what is a superpower?
Reply 57
I think people are not making the distinction between 'superpower' and 'wealthy'. With 1.5 billion+ people (and india will be the most populous nation soon enough) you don't need a very high average wealth to be among the biggest economically and militarily.
Reply 58
3 A*s....is that it? :rolleyes: Your self-proclaimed 'beast' opinion of yourself has just proved how much of a monkey's ass you are.

Why dont YOU stop pretending to be a dick. Oh wait, that really is you :colone:

I thought you said you were clever, dumbass? Since when is being Indian a race? and its not racist if its simple fact....there is poverty in india and there is cow **** all over. YOU GONNA DISPUTE THAT HUH???

You are really witty aren't you? Why don't you list your academic results and then we can compare? Otherwise you can't say sh*t.
I know India isn't a race stupid, but what you said can easily by interpreted as racist, such was the vulgarity and outlandishness of your claims (and I'm guessing you're white). Seriously, carry on with your bitter hatred and jealousy, that's all people like you have, at the end of the day I'm a much better person than you in every respect.
Reply 59
Original post by nonotrly
Not that I read it once I realised it was essay size, but WTF was that??

'Serious Business' has rarely been more apt here.

It's my job to educate the ignorant and stupid. Too bad most of them won't have the intellectual capacity to comprehend anything longer than three sentences.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending