The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quackers93
Hmm im sensing that you are a scrubs fan :wink: what they dont know can't hurt them lol and anyways... its using your initiative - you don't know how to do something so you go and look for another way to do it :smile:

i really want to try and come up with something original that many people won't have to try and stand out, but i fear everyone has done everything - and i can't think of anytihng lol

True, true :tongue:

And same. I've been wanting to write a whole novel for a while (I have bursts of creativity at times, but only ever end up writing a couple of pages...) so part of me wants to try and get published over summer! that would certainly be different:ninja:
Reply 261
Original post by Normandy114
I start charity shop work this weekend, is it as boring as I'm expecting?

I start this Monday, the guy though did tell me that they dont do anything
"exiciting" so i wouldn't expect too much... :biggrin:
I start charity shop work this weekend, is it as boring as I'm expecting?

It depends really on what exactly you're doing and who you're with. I work mostly in the shop at the till and it can be ridiculously boring, and sometimes scary... there are some pretty scary customers! but other times its funny :smile: if your in store room it mainly depends on who you're working with but hopefully you'll have nice fun people where you are :smile:
Original post by cashy
I start this Monday, the guy though did tell me that they dont do anything
"exiciting" so i wouldn't expect too much... :biggrin:

Oh well. there goes my dreams of extreme action-packed charity shop work :frown:
Reckon this year to make my personal statement "stand out" I could mention how I'm no stranger to the hospital seeing as I am the clumsiest person ever?

seriously i should not be let out the house alone or unsupervised
Original post by Cityshy
Hey there, Access courses are great (I'm doing the COWA one in September), but going by your background I'd say you'd do fine with work experience in a hospital, as you already have 2 science A-levels (or were those GCSE's? Either way, good predicted grades there well done). Plus you have already been to Uni, many applicants haven't.

Whichever option you choose basically would benefit you, but was just giving my personal opinion that hospital full-time work seems to suit most =)

Nah, they're Scottish Highers. I'm a bit of a resit applicant (I sat my higher exams in 2003) so I think this counts against me in some respects.

I don't have a degree from Uni either, which also counts against me. Oh well.
Original post by atomos
True, true :tongue:

And same. I've been wanting to write a whole novel for a while (I have bursts of creativity at times, but only ever end up writing a couple of pages...) so part of me wants to try and get published over summer! that would certainly be different:ninja:

You should do, that would definatly stand out! Could base it on life as an applicant the highs and lows :tongue: maybe not lol

That reminds me, I did my extended project on Haemochromatosis and the Haemochromatosis society want a copy of it and i never got a chance to slip that in at interview! so putting that in my ps this time round!
It depends really on what exactly you're doing and who you're with. I work mostly in the shop at the till and it can be ridiculously boring, and sometimes scary... there are some pretty scary customers! but other times its funny :smile: if your in store room it mainly depends on who you're working with but hopefully you'll have nice fun people where you are :smile:

No idea what I'll be doing there, I expect it'll be a combination of till work/store room seeing as it's only a little Hospicare shop. Nice sound advice though, thanks :smile:
You should do, that would definatly stand out! Could base it on life as an applicant the highs and lows :tongue: maybe not lol

That reminds me, I did my extended project on Haemochromatosis and the Haemochromatosis society want a copy of it and i never got a chance to slip that in at interview! so putting that in my ps this time round!

the book would be so inspiring. i'll send all the unis a signed copy :wink:
and haha, i'll show off my "battle wounds" in interview and tell them this was me showing an interest my whole life :colone:

what's haemochromatosis :ninja:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 269
Original post by liviaaa
If you love it that much why not do a psychology degree?

Also the uni's aren't very honest for example Birmingham seems the most honest saying yoiu need at least 7A*s from GCSE with A*S in maths, english and science at GCSE too. The rest such as Cambridge say all they want is at least 5 GCSE's C and above for medicine. Purrrleaseee! I wish they'd all just be totally honest like Birmingham! Just a warning, they will favour those who do none-soft subjects etccc :smile:

I was thinking about studying Psychology, but my work experience completely changed my mind. (I did have a little peek at the Psychology forum here though and was a bit suprised that people there were saying that a Psychology degree is worthless).
Also, that's really worrying if universities do favour people who don't do subjects like Psychology but I guess I'll just have to try my hardest and make sure that things like my UKCAT score and personal statement stand out (which is gonna be pretty hard to do..)
Oh, and one other thing that terrifies me.. interviews! :eek:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by atomos
haha, i'll show off my "battle wounds" in interview and tell them this was me showing an interest my whole life:colone:

what's haemochromatosis :ninja:

hahaha "i've always had an interest in medicine, so much so i just had to keep finding reasons to do back for more" :tongue: point for the most creative reason for going to hospital: my brother nearly went to hospital because he got a potty stuck on his head and couldn't get it off lol

not many people know of Haemochromatosis, including some doctors so you're fine lol Its basically iron overload (sorta opposite of anaemia) and i have both in my family... im the odd one out in my family (theres 6 of us) for being the only with normal iron levels lol
No idea what I'll be doing there, I expect it'll be a combination of till work/store room seeing as it's only a little Hospicare shop. Nice sound advice though, thanks :smile:

Thats alright :smile: I wouldn't hold your breath for anything exciting lol Hopefully you'll have a fun manager cause that really helps - and im guessing you'll probably have you're typical old woman carity shop worker - they are the best and are always unintentionally funny :smile: good luck with it! :tongue:
hahaha "i've always had an interest in medicine, so much so i just had to keep finding reasons to do back for more" :tongue: point for the most creative reason for going to hospital: my brother nearly went to hospital because he got a potty stuck on his head and couldn't get it off lol

not many people know of Haemochromatosis, including some doctors so you're fine lol Its basically iron overload (sorta opposite of anaemia) and i have both in my family... im the odd one out in my family (theres 6 of us) for being the only with normal iron levels lol

Hahaha....just curious, how old was he?
I remember when I was staying at my friends house and her little sister decided it would be a good idea to wear the potty as a skirt...until she got stuck. But she never ended up in hospital :tongue:

Ah I see.
I got tested for anaemia a few years ago. Except the blood test didn't work the first time. Or the second. Or the third. I think the doctors were trying to steal my blood and sell it or something...
(Thankfully the outcome was that I am not anaemic. After all that hassle all I had to show for it was numb elbows from the cream I had to put on...)
Reply 273
Original post by Harbour Seal

Original post by Harbour Seal
Nah, they're Scottish Highers. I'm a bit of a resit applicant (I sat my higher exams in 2003) so I think this counts against me in some respects.

I don't have a degree from Uni either, which also counts against me. Oh well.

You're a single parent though, doesn't that count as exceptional circumstance for not completing the degree? Also congrats on having your child, I know it must be more difficult studying and applying (as well as voluntary work exp etc) when you're a parent, so good on you for not giving up.

And besides, those grades you listed are really impressive predictions, I'm sure you can do it, you've gotten this far, it's just a little bit further :smile:
Original post by Cityshy
You're a single parent though, doesn't that count as exceptional circumstance for not completing the degree? Also congrats on having your child, I know it must be more difficult studying and applying (as well as voluntary work exp etc) when you're a parent, so good on you for not giving up.

And besides, those grades you listed are really impressive predictions, I'm sure you can do it, you've gotten this far, it's just a little bit further :smile:

Yeah, but I think they want me to go back and do it all again and get my degree... Will. Not. Write. Any. More. Essays. Does. Not. Compute.
Original post by atomos
Hahaha....just curious, how old was he?
I remember when I was staying at my friends house and her little sister decided it would be a good idea to wear the potty as a skirt...until she got stuck. But she never ended up in hospital :tongue:

Ah I see.
I got tested for anaemia a few years ago. Except the blood test didn't work the first time. Or the second. Or the third. I think the doctors were trying to steal my blood and sell it or something...
(Thankfully the outcome was that I am not anaemic. After all that hassle all I had to show for it was numb elbows from the cream I had to put on...)

Unfortunatly he wa sonly 2 or 3 - if he'd been say 12-13 it would have been so much funnier - he nearly did it with my sisters potty (shes 2, we dont just randomly have a potty in the house from years ago lol) but it was too small :tongue: hahaha a potty skirt? wow never heard of that one before lol We've had quite a few arms, legs and heads stuck through cot railings before. my littlest sister is smart though, she does that intentionally so when you come over to help her she then goes "only joking" and laughs at you

There was a point where my parents had the nhs posion line or something on speed-dial haha we were frequent callers. My brother (again) decided it'd be a great idea to drink bubble bath so they rung up and were told to only give him milk and to make sure he didnt jump around a lot lol
Original post by atomos
QUOTE]

hmm i've just realised that my parents sound quite neglecting from what ive said... they're not, there were just three of us all under the age of three in the middle of london,with my dad away on courses often... accidents were always going to happen lol hmmm all experience i guess lol
Original post by Gowrav
I applied this year, currently have 2 offers, waiting on one more. I did a lot, observation course at my local hospital, 5 years voluntary work with people who have mental illness, carer for an autistic child, 1 week pharmacy placement, 2 weeks day care centre for the elderly and working as a care assistant.

I've heard that working in nursing/care homes is particularly well liked as work experience by medical schools. Is this true? What did they say about your work experience at interview? Sorry for all the questions, I'm getting nervous about applying already.
Reply 278
Original post by Joseppea
What subjects is everyone doing/Where are you thinking of applying to? :curious::curious:

im studying bio,chem, phy & maths
Reply 279
Original post by SteveCrain
Where are you thinking of applying? I will tell you whether you're right or wrong.

Hey,
im not exactly sure where to apply... Do they really look at our GCSE results. I have got 3A* 5As & a B
& planning to apply to
UCL/imperial, kings, cardiff, manchester/bristol :colondollar:

Latest

Trending

Trending