The Student Room Group

How much free time to you get as an engineering student?

ive applied for aerospace engineering at leicester and i know the contact time is high (about 25 hours? i think that right) but how much free time and social life do you get :smile: just so im prepared :biggrin:
Depends on how efficient you are with your time, what sort of grades you want, how good you are at memorising and rote learning, and the amount of hands on work in your course. There's a fair amount of hands on in my course and it really eats up your time.
Reply 2
Hmmm engineering is bound to be a pretty time intensive course all round. Btw i applied for aerospace at leicester too ^__^.

Can you tell me anything more about leicesters reputation for engineering?
I'm in 25 hours a week. On top of that there is coursework, log books, projects, presentations, maths exercises, tutorial questions and revision for class tests.

I have time to go on facebook/watch some tv in the evenings, and plenty of time to go out on the weekends, but I spend most saturday afternoons doing work with friends.
Going out on a week night is only for special occasions.

It helps if all your friends are doing engineering as well though!
Reply 4
Original post by Popppppy
I'm in 25 hours a week. On top of that there is coursework, log books, projects, presentations, maths exercises, tutorial questions and revision for class tests.

I have time to go on facebook/watch some tv in the evenings, and plenty of time to go out on the weekends, but I spend most saturday afternoons doing work with friends.
Going out on a week night is only for special occasions.

It helps if all your friends are doing engineering as well though!

I'v got a unconditional for eee at strathclyde. :borat:

How many after hours revision do you actually do on a week day?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by U.S Lecce
I'v got a conditional for eee at strathclyde. :borat:

EEE? That's a really low offer lol
Reply 6
You will get a lot of work but it is in no way unmanageable once you are used to the demands of studying something like engineering at uni. I'd say an average week is about 30-40 hours, before exams and for big assignments you will be doing 60+ hours, but don't worry about having much above 40 in your first year all through unless you want 80%+ grades.
Reply 7
Original post by Spepper90
EEE? That's a really low offer lol

Lol electronic and electrical engineering. And I meant to say unconditional lol.
Original post by LeeC
You will get a lot of work but it is in no way unmanageable once you are used to the demands of studying something like engineering at uni. I'd say an average week is about 30-40 hours, before exams and for big assignments you will be doing 60+ hours, but don't worry about having much above 40 in your first year all through unless you want 80%+ grades.

true that!:biggrin:
Reply 9
Judging from the engineers I know - very little.
Original post by goerigi
thanks! thats really helpful :biggrin: but i'm curious, what/ why log books? :smile:

basically you write a journal of everything you do in the labs.
Teaching Support labs are experiments of what we learn in our lectures,
they last 2 hours (one a week) and throughout we write "first we set up the cicuit, next we measured the current, here is a graph of our results" etc.

Then this can be used to write a presentation or a formal report months down the line.
Original post by U.S Lecce
I'v got a unconditional for eee at strathclyde. :borat:

Congrats! You will absolutely love it. The sort of "main" lecturer for first year, Phil McGlone is an absolute legend.

I'd say maybe 2 hours a night? Perhaps not as much, depending on if there is anything due in soon or not. Definately more that anyone I know on any other course, but there's still plenty of time for fun.
I know some people on the course slave away for hours every night, and some don't really do anything (their marks obviously reflect this though!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending