The Student Room Group

Passive smoking?

I'm working away from home in a live in job. Here's the thing: one of the people I work for chain smokes cigars all day. Could this be having a very bad effect on my health from the passive smoke? How do I counter act the effects because I really want to stick this out? I don't really know much about the effects of passive smoking only actual smoking... Any help?

It's given me a realy sore throat so far not sure whether this is from the passive smoke or just cos I have a cold or something...
Sorry if this sounds massively hypochondriac ish. :rolleyes:

Scroll to see replies

2nd hand smoke is not good for you at all, if you are in the UK it is illegal to smoke in the workplace/in public areas, to be honest theres not much you can personally do apart from speak to the smoker
Reply 2
Original post by Elf.
I'm working away from home in a live in job. Here's the thing: one of the people I work for chain smokes cigars all day. Could this be having a very bad effect on my health from the passive smoke? How do I counter act the effects because I really want to stick this out? I don't really know much about the effects of passive smoking only actual smoking... Any help?

It's given me a realy sore throat so far not sure whether this is from the passive smoke or just cos I have a cold or something...

If you ever smoke something, which I can already tell you'll never do, you'll know that despite what may be advertised about smoking you'd have to be a regular smoker/constantly around chain smokers to have any long term effect on your body.

In other words, you're being a drama queen.
Reply 3
Original post by Yawn11
If you ever smoke something, which I can already tell you'll never do, you'll know that despite what may be advertised about smoking you'd have to be a regular smoker/constantly around chain smokers to have any long term effect on your body.

In other words, you're being a drama queen.

Thank you sweetie. I bloody feel like one right now. Maybe it's called too much time to think... :tongue:
Actually I have smoked before, I just read something that said the carcinogens actually have a worse effect when you're not the actual smoker.
Shame I live in Italy hey? :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Elf.

I wouldn't know, I've only been out of England twice, and it want to go italy. :sad:

They're probably racist anyway. :colonhash:
Reply 5
Original post by Yawn11
I wouldn't know, I've only been out of England twice, and it want to go italy. :sad:

They're probably racist anyway. :colonhash:

"I want to go to Italy" or "it wasn't to go to Italy"? :tongue:

If you want to go to Italy, go!! They love English people.
Reply 6
Original post by Elf.
"I want to go to Italy" or "it wasn't to go to Italy"? :tongue:

If you want to go to Italy, go!! They love English people.

Nope it was wasn't* :h:

Everyone knows Italians don't kind black people :colonhash: I value my life thank you very much.
Original post by Elf.
Thank you sweetie. I bloody feel like one right now. Maybe it's called too much time to think... :tongue:
Actually I have smoked before, I just read something that said the carcinogens actually have a worse effect when you're not the actual smoker.

what kind of job are you doing thats live in?

Oh and in regards to second hand smoke, its all conjecture as they cant prove the effects properly, they can suggest and strongly reccomend but actual proof as far as im aware is a total no no
Reply 8
Original post by Yawn11

Everyone knows Italians don't kind black people :colonhash: I value my life thank you very much.

Yeah I was talking to this drunk guy the other day, and he was having a depressed moment about how Italians are so closed minded or something. His english was ****... So I couldn't really tell what he was saying anyway.
And okay. :sad:
Reply 9
Original post by Yawn11

Also I didn't know so not everyone knows! I know now so maybe now everyone knows! I don't know :tongue:
Reply 10
Original post by silverbolt
what kind of job are you doing thats live in?

Oh and in regards to second hand smoke, its all conjecture as they cant prove the effects properly, they can suggest and strongly reccomend but actual proof as far as im aware is a total no no

Can you strongly recommend anything then? :tongue:

I'm au pairing.
Original post by Elf.

Nah, you'll be ok.
Reply 12
I'd be more concerned about the lingering smell on your clothes.
Original post by Elf.
Can you strongly recommend anything then? :tongue:

I'm au pairing.

Is this guy your boss? If yes other than opening a window not a lot you can do im afraid.

If hes not your boss, everytime he lights liberally spray yourself with some feminie deodarant the kind that makes most men retch when they get a mouthful.,

Fight fire with cloying anit persperant
Reply 14
Original post by Elf.
I don't really know much about the effects of passive smoking only actual smoking... Any help?

I would be very concerned if you had asthma.
Or any respiratory problem for that matter... :s-smilie:

Any person exposed to passive smoking may experience short-term symptoms such as a headache, a cough, wheezing, an eye irritation, a sore throat, nausea or dizziness....
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
Yeah he's my boss... Sigh :\ ah well. Everyone smokes like chimneys over here :s not really my scene... Nevermind...
Reply 16
Original post by JunePlum
I would be very concerned if you had asthma.
Or any respiratory problem for that matter... :s-smilie:

:google:

Ah thank you :smile: no I don't have asthma...

Yeah I've just opened the window and it can stay like that- it's really warm here.
I have experienced a reduced sense of smell but don't know whether I'm just imagining it.
It DOES affect my health, because I have asthma and it reduces my ability to breathe. Not sure about the cancer risk but it definitely makes me cough and tightens my chest.
Reply 18
Original post by Elf.
Ah thank you :smile: no I don't have asthma...

Yeah I've just opened the window and it can stay like that- it's really warm here.
I have experienced a reduced sense of smell but don't know whether I'm just imagining it.

I've been in an environment like that once. It seriously irritated my sinuses.
At times, I sneezed and coughed a lot although I couldn't smell the cigar....
But I could bet that the passive smoke was there.

Passive smoke affects people in different ways.
May I ask.... How long have you been exposed to it?
Reply 19
the smoke your friends breaths out is not harmful. The smoke coming from the end of the cigarette/cigar/blunt is where the harmful smoke is, but you'd have to be constantly inhaling it (which is something not even a smoker would do) in order to feel negative effects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending