The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Complex Simplicity
You never had the plot, You need to leave our thread.

he's lost his touch, he can't manage, and at best the team will finish second.
Original post by rajandkwameali
he's lost his touch, he can't manage, and at best the team will finish second.

As has been said countless times before, suggest a feasible replacement.
Original post by Pete_Lawton

Rafael Benitez. A manager that only cares about doing well in the champions league. Maybe under the waiter you'll finally win the CL?!!

:colondollar:
Original post by white_haired_wizard
Rafael Benitez. A manager that only cares about doing well in the champions league. Maybe under the waiter you'll finally win the CL?!!

:colondollar:

And have our domestic form and youth system decimated in the process?

No ta. :colonhash:
Reply 7504
I can't believe people are still calling for Wenger's head. Imho six years without a trophy isn't even a catastrophe. Dropping into mid-table obscurity or the relegation fodder would be a catastrophe - as it stands, we are certainly not a club in crisis ffs.
Original post by Abiraleft
I can't believe people are still calling for Wenger's head. Imho six years without a trophy isn't even a catastrophe. Dropping into mid-table obscurity or the relegation fodder would be a catastrophe - as it stands, we are certainly not a club in crisis ffs.

Whilst Abiraleft is right. This isn't a tragedy. It really isn't. It's just stupid. We choke every year and Wenger refuses to solve problems that EVERYONE has known about for 3/4 years. Weak defense in the air and a lack of leadership. It's not that hard, nor expensive (because defenders and DMCs are relatively speaking cheaper) to do. Of course, as someone who sits on the outside of the profession (like 99.9% of fans), I don't know how hard it is to sign players in the real business. I'm pretty certain it's not like Football Manager! But when David Luiz cost £18 million, which isn't that much in modern standards, we're missing some ruthlessness in the market.

But I'll put it this way. Who put us as sitting in 2nd place with a shot at the title going into April?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Abiraleft

It's not really about the past, more to do with the future. Most people (including me) don't feel he'll change his attitude with regards to our team. It's quite clear that if Wenger doesn't adjust his current footballing philosophy, we'll go another 3 years without a trophy, until he finally retires.
Original post by Pete_Lawton

Klopp, Boas, van Gaal, Coyle. Possibly Mourinho depending on certain factors.
Original post by Hantheman

But I'll put it this way. Who put us as sitting in 2nd place with a shot at the title going into April?

Our points tally isn't that impressive, so take our current league position with a pinch of salt.
Original post by T.Adams VI
Our points tally isn't that impressive, so take our current league position with a pinch of salt.

Doesn't matter. Points tally is relative on the other teams.
Reply 7510
Wenger:"If you look at what we did this season, it deserves a lot of credit."
"Would anybody have predicted that we are where we are, in front of Chelsea and Man City and fighting for the championship? Nobody."

That is a true point and especially August last year where I didn't hear any pundits making us title credentials.
Reply 7511
Original post by jit987
Wenger:"If you look at what we did this season, it deserves a lot of credit."
"Would anybody have predicted that we are where we are, in front of Chelsea and Man City and fighting for the championship? Nobody."

That is a true point and especially August last year where I didn't hear any pundits making us title credentials.

But I wouldn't say you're ahead of those two because you're any better than before. You're getting two points a game, same as last season and the season before (pretty much anyway). Two points a game, so around 76 points, shouldn't get you anywhere near the title, Chelsea's total of 86 last season was the lowest since 2003 and the last time two points a game was enough to win a title was 1997. If Wenger predicted this then fair enough but I don't think a strategy of hoping the other teams come down to your level is going to win anything, you have to go up to theirs. I don't really buy that the mid table teams are much stronger than in past seasons, there are glaring weaknesses in all of the top sides and they've exploited these.

One of the best things that could happen to Arsenal (aside from winning the league, obviously) is that Man Utd finish incredibly strongly, around 10/15 ahead of you. It would remove the 'well we were title contenders' excuse from Wenger and maybe finally force him to address the problems. Because Chelsea and City will certainly be a lot stronger next season, I hope we will be as well, and Liverpool may even have an outside shot at the title if the summer goes well for them.
Reply 7512
Denilson was ****.
Almunia should just get injured again. And then sold. Somehow.
Squillaci was okay for his very low standards, the 2nd goal wasn't entirely his fault.

Arshavin, pretty much anonymous until the 60th minute actually.
Wilshere, as usual pretty good, but not up to par with his previous performances (which are still right up there).

Original post by Louis.

Original post by Louis.
But I wouldn't say you're ahead of those two because you're any better than before. You're getting two points a game, same as last season and the season before (pretty much anyway). Two points a game, so around 76 points, shouldn't get you anywhere near the title, Chelsea's total of 86 last season was the lowest since 2003 and the last time two points a game was enough to win a title was 1997. If Wenger predicted this then fair enough but I don't think a strategy of hoping the other teams come down to your level is going to win anything, you have to go up to theirs. I don't really buy that the mid table teams are much stronger than in past seasons, there are glaring weaknesses in all of the top sides and they've exploited these.

One of the best things that could happen to Arsenal (aside from winning the league, obviously) is that Man Utd finish incredibly strongly, around 10/15 ahead of you. It would remove the 'well we were title contenders' excuse from Wenger and maybe finally force him to address the problems. Because Chelsea and City will certainly be a lot stronger next season, I hope we will be as well, and Liverpool may even have an outside shot at the title if the summer goes well for them.

This. It's funny because you're probably the most sensible poster on the Arsenal society, and you're not even an Arsenal supporter... All the Gooners here are bundled up with our own pesky arguments.

Original post by Louis.
:adore: :adore: :adore: :adore: :adore:

This is wonderful. There was a time when everything Rob said here was treated as gospel, it's great he has been found out :congrats:

No doubt he'll leave again now because no one likes him anymore :console:

Anyway, expected your result today and i'm not going to do my usual *****sh act. You're still in it, just about, but we're pretty sizable favourites now i'd say. Chelsea win tomorrow and they're 4 behind you...

:ahee: I remember asking him once why he was an AKB (Arsene Knows Best) supporter. He simply told me to **** off. That's the leader of the Arsenal Society!

Original post by RobbieC
I don't understand how we don't bundle lucky wins like Man United do... it's odd isn't it.

They're not called "lucky". SAF doesn't give a **** about "beautiful football" (or whatever Le Prof and the media make it out to be), you fool. He doesn't care about the amount of goals scored or slick passes. He just wants a goal or two, and that's that. You call it lucky, I call it smart.

That's the way Chelsea won it in 2005, and that's the way United may win it this season. Face the damn fact you ****.

Original post by Singh_2
Yes!! Cmon you bottlers!!

Oh Braga.

And you really think you can talk as a Liverpool supporter, calling us bottlers? We're bottlers, no doubt, but for a Liverpool supporter to say that is pure lol.

Original post by Complex Simplicity
You never had the plot, You need to leave our thread.

Oh, so this society is closed to anyone who criticizes Wenger... hahah dumb ****, please shut it.
Reply 7513
Why do Arsenal fans give Denilson so much stick? Have you not realised that DM is not his position and never was. Cast your mind back to the beginning of last seaon; where were all the critics of him then? Be patient, he is going through a rough patch which is not helped by the fact that he is playing in a position which he is not suited to in any way.
Original post by Hoozo
Why do Arsenal fans give Denilson so much stick? Have you not realised that DM is not his position and never was. Cast your mind back to the beginning of last seaon; where were all the critics of him then? Be patient, he is going through a rough patch which is not helped by the fact that he is playing in a position which he is not suited to in any way.

So err, what is his position?

And to be honest, he can't pass the ball 10 yards. That's pretty damning for a central midfielder of any discipline.
How likely are we to sign a good keeper next window?
Tried to buy Reina. That tells us something.
Original post by antonfigo

I doubt you'll sign a keeper, it goes against Wenger's 'give kids a chance' policy.

Tbf, you only have Wenger's word and don't know how hard he tried, he probably offered what they paid for him and then got in a strop when they asked for £20m. [:tongue:]
Reply 7517
Original post by antonfigo

Close to no chance at all. Unless Wenger caves in big time and decides to go on a Galactico-esque mission.

T.Adams VI
It's not really about the past, more to do with the future. Most people (including me) don't feel he'll change his attitude with regards to our team. It's quite clear that if Wenger doesn't adjust his current footballing philosophy, we'll go another 3 years without a trophy, until he finally retires.

Well, this whole subject is clearly speculative and a bit subjective, but I do still think and fervently hope that Wengerball, with a few good tweaks, can achieve success for us.

Louis.

This perplexes me. You point out that our points per game rate is similar to last year's, but I feel that in terms of gameplay, we've dropped our standards somewhat this season; however, so have all the other big teams, though they seem to have paid more for it in terms of points. If it was just Arsenal getting worse, I might have attributed it to a systematic error like some other people are, but because it seems to be happening to everyone, it seems very strange to me and I'm not sure what to make of it yet. :dontknow:
Reply 7518
Does anybody here genuinely believe Wenger will break the club record by ~£8m and pay ~£22m for a goalkeeper?
I think we have to buy a big name keeper. I seriously doubt that the players have much faith in Almunia anymore. After Saturday the whole squad must be thinking he's the worst keeper in the league. I think Szczesny has a future at the club but splahing out on Reina or Akinfeev would do nicely :biggrin:

Latest