The Student Room Group

Thread for Revision techniques, tips and tricks...

Created this thread just to see how everyone else is studying for their IB subjects
I am currently taking
HL physics-6
HL Chem-7
HL Economics-7
SL Math-7
SL Englsih A1 -6
Sl Language A2-7
Currently predicted 40/42
And studying my butt off for the finals!!
Any tips on how to revise for chem,F.E do you guys make notes or what, and in terms of english how can i take it up to a 7!?
Is everyone making notes etc. or what for their subjects?
Reply 1
Original post by Ibforlife
Created this thread just to see how everyone else is studying for their IB subjects
I am currently taking
HL physics-6
HL Chem-7
HL Economics-7
SL Math-7
SL Englsih A1 -6
Sl Language A2-7
Currently predicted 40/42
And studying my butt off for the finals!!
Any tips on how to revise for chem,F.E do you guys make notes or what, and in terms of english how can i take it up to a 7!?
Is everyone making notes etc. or what for their subjects?

i make really condensed notes for chem and physics.. pretty useful coz i can basically revise the whole core in one or two hours. I also have problems with english a1.. apparently only about 4% of candidates who took the exams got a 7..
Reply 2
What do you mean condensed notes, like write it all down! In a book and memorize? Or what? ;S
Reply 3
Original post by Ibforlife
What do you mean condensed notes, like write it all down! In a book and memorize? Or what? ;S

not everything, just facts that you should know, for examples definitions, formulas, laws etc, then memorize them.. lol
Honestly, you're going to need a bit of luck getting a 7 in English A1 HL. It's all about how the examiner feels about your final exams...but the toughest element for me was definitely the oral exam. Just knock that baby out of the park if you haven't already...and then make sure you read your books for paper 2 really well!

Physics-- I got a 6 in HL last year. Get the Tsokos book, review that...do lots of past exam paper, especially papers 1 and 2 (by far the toughest is 2, but there can be weird multiple choice questions). 3-- learn it well and study for that exam the night before. Just be sure you understand the concepts really well and ensure you have had lots of exposure to the questions.

Chemistry-- I would rewrite all the notes and do lots of questions. Be sure to try some of the newer exams...they're a little different, and in my opinion, harder than older exams, especially for SL. I did poorly in SL (4) because I left it to the last minute, so don't do that either. Writing all my papers before chemistry without a single day's break except for the weekend, however...I'd say it's justified. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
For physics and chemistry I went through my notes/the course companion and hand-wrote all of my notes, condensing the entire course into about 30 pages. I then went and typed them up onto the computer, so that I'd go through them twice properly. Now I just review my notes, do practice papers and questions from the course companion book.

I don't really revise for English since it's the only subject I'm naturally good at, but I'd advise making sure you know the plot well, and perhaps memorising a few key quotes. You could impress the examiner by throwing in a significant (relevent) quote. Other than that, if you're struggling, then practice analysing poems/prose and practice essay writing. Do it in this form: point, evidence (e.g. a quote), explain (THE EFFECT IT HAS ON THE READER). And don't forget to mention literary devices. If you use that method, you cannot fail.

Maths... I don't know, lol. I'm flunking maths at the minute. Any tips are appreciated.

IT in a global society - pretty easy as long as you can write essays well. Just memorise keywords and make sure you know your case study well and you should be fine.

Good luck to everyone.
Reply 6
Original post by k3ro
For physics and chemistry I went through my notes/the course companion and hand-wrote all of my notes, condensing the entire course into about 30 pages. I then went and typed them up onto the computer, so that I'd go through them twice properly. Now I just review my notes, do practice papers and questions from the course companion book.

I don't really revise for English since it's the only subject I'm naturally good at, but I'd advise making sure you know the plot well, and perhaps memorising a few key quotes. You could impress the examiner by throwing in a significant (relevent) quote. Other than that, if you're struggling, then practice analysing poems/prose and practice essay writing. Do it in this form: point, evidence (e.g. a quote), explain (THE EFFECT IT HAS ON THE READER). And don't forget to mention literary devices. If you use that method, you cannot fail.

Maths... I don't know, lol. I'm flunking maths at the minute. Any tips are appreciated.

IT in a global society - pretty easy as long as you can write essays well. Just memorise keywords and make sure you know your case study well and you should be fine.

Good luck to everyone.

Cue cards & questionbank are a godsend :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by amsie/
Cue cards & questionbank are a godsend :biggrin:

Thanks. I'll remember that. :wink:
Reply 8

Original post by k3ro
Thanks. I'll remember that. :wink:

For maths just do questions, and past papers, get a question bank and practice, and you´ll be all set in no time! lol;D
Reply 9
Original post by heymanbarca
For maths just do questions, and past papers, get a question bank and practice, and you´ll be all set in no time! lol;D

I've been doing past papers, but my teacher made it kinda seem pointless since he just said that the questions are never repeated and never look similar at all. My main problem is not the maths but understanding what the **** the question is asking me to do. D:
Original post by k3ro
I've been doing past papers, but my teacher made it kinda seem pointless since he just said that the questions are never repeated and never look similar at all. My main problem is not the maths but understanding what the **** the question is asking me to do. D:

I'd have to disagree with your teacher. If you do the papers, you'll notice that the questions are quite repetitive, they only ask for a few things. e.g. points where vectors meet, sum to infinity etc.
Jut do more and you'll see :smile:
Reply 11
Ginkgo Biloba, redbull & an unhealthy amount of coffee.
Original post by nunugab

Original post by nunugab
Ginkgo Biloba, redbull & an unhealthy amount of coffee.

Does Ginkgo Biloba, actually help?

Or is it a waste.?
Reply 13
Original post by heymanbarca
Does Ginkgo Biloba, actually help?

Or is it a waste.?

Might be a placebo effect but in my experience yes to a certain degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending