The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ca11ie
Glad to talk to you too :smile:
And my offer is nice, but I think that part of the reason for that is that in Advanced Highers they don't do A*s (partly because Advanced Highers are a bit harder than A levels). However, they do have A band 1's, which are roughly equivalent, though they don't show up on your certificate and you need to ask your school whether you got an A band 1 or 2.
That said, I do have a friend with a harsh offer from Imperial: 2 A band 1's and 2 A band 2's so I think I got away quite lightly!
So why did you choose Sidney?

Ahh I see (I thought about the no A*s after I posted the comment lol) and yeah we have another person at our college with an A*A*A* offer from Pembroke so very tough indeed :s-smilie:

I chose Sidney because its right in the centre (go Sainsburys!!) and very near my dept. I also like it because its a smaller college (I was originally looking at Kings) and obviously because its simply the best college :smile: Everyone was so, so lovely at the open days etc, I didn't want to go anywhere else. How about you??
Reply 1281
Original post by SamAndrews1
Ahh I see (I thought about the no A*s after I posted the comment lol) and yeah we have another person at our college with an A*A*A* offer from Pembroke so very tough indeed :s-smilie:

I chose Sidney because its right in the centre (go Sainsburys!!) and very near my dept. I also like it because its a smaller college (I was originally looking at Kings) and obviously because its simply the best college :smile: Everyone was so, so lovely at the open days etc, I didn't want to go anywhere else. How about you??

I originally applied to Trinity Hall and got pooled to Sidney, but I'm actually really glad I did as I actually like it even more. It has all the pluses of trinity hall (small, central) plus just seems friendlier =). Since I didn't go to the open days, when I was down south I visited cambridge to see sidney, met my director of studies and like you said, everyone was lovely!
Reply 1282
Original post by Ca11ie
So glad other future Sidney students exist, was starting to feel a bit lonely =P
So what conditions do u have? Mine is AAA (scottish advanced highers, so no A*'s).

Aye, yeah, I noticed that there seems to be a lower number of would-be-next-year-Sidneyites on here compared with other colleges... I guess that's what happens with the smaller colleges, mind.

My conditions are A*AA 1,1, with the 1,1 coming from these exams called STEP aimed at something like the top 2% of maths a-level students... They're ****ing horrendous to get your head around, but are supposedly closer to university maths than your usual a-level/AH/whatever so they're better at distinguishing between candidates.. meh... Oh for an AAA offer. :tongue:
Reply 1283
Original post by dinat
hi
i got an offer for medicine at peterhouse
anyone else doing the same thing next year?

Medicine at Emmanuel :smile:
Reply 1284
Original post by Zuzuzu
Aye, yeah, I noticed that there seems to be a lower number of would-be-next-year-Sidneyites on here compared with other colleges... I guess that's what happens with the smaller colleges, mind.

My conditions are A*AA 1,1, with the 1,1 coming from these exams called STEP aimed at something like the top 2% of maths a-level students... They're ****ing horrendous to get your head around, but are supposedly closer to university maths than your usual a-level/AH/whatever so they're better at distinguishing between candidates.. meh... Oh for an AAA offer. :tongue:

Yup, I'm pretty relieved by how kind my offer is =D
And I've heard how bad STEP is, so glad I didn't have to do anything other than BMAT! Why do they make STEP part of the offer when they could just have students sit a test before interview, like they do with the BMAT?
Original post by dinat
hi
i got an offer for medicine at peterhouse
anyone else doing the same thing next year?

Original post by Bubbles2010
Medicine at murray edwards :biggrin:
Look forward to meeting everyone next year!!! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Medicine at Selwyn! I can't wait to meet you all :smile: (providing I get those grades of course :tongue:)
Original post by CountDuckula

Medicine at Selwyn! I can't wait to meet you all :smile: (providing I get those grades of course :tongue:)

:biggrin: :biggrin: Good luck!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:
So excited!!! :smile:
Original post by katey_doodles
Hi thereeeee :smile: no idea why it's taken me this long to see your post, but I was doing some procrastination and I stumbled across it. I've an offer for MML at St John's - French and Spanish ab initio :smile:

Finally :biggrin: I don't really know what to ask though... any questions? :p:
Reply 1288
Original post by Ca11ie
That would be very awkward indeed! =L
But according to the admissions office, there is one other ved med student in my year. All they would tell me is she's female and from northern ireland but she doesn't seem to be on tsr =(

Me too =s I keep telling myself that I can make my offer, but can't help worrying anyway. But an offer at Cambridge is a hell of a good motivation! =D

Which college and which subject is your offer for?

Well I doubt the whole Cambridge student population is on TSR xD
I've found another person who has an offer for my course via facebook, but there are 30-35 people NatScis per year at Christ's, and I've only found one other :P

Don't worry about it, they wouldn't have given you the offer if they didn't think you could make it :smile: Just keep doing what you've been doing and you will be fine!

oh and my course/college is Physical Natural Sciences at Christ's :biggrin:
Reply 1289

i can't wait to meet everybody too
Original post by Ziffachan
Finally :biggrin: I don't really know what to ask though... any questions? :p:

I just realised, I've formspring-ed (formsprung?) you! I asked a particularly generic question about how you found johns/the MML course haha, but now we're here I may as well fire a few more out (if you don't mind answering!)

Did you take up a language ab initio? I'm donig Spanish without having done anything...eeeeep. Is there anything you recommend doing preparation-wise?
Also, I've heard that St John's students get a lot of abuse haha, I take it this 'abuse' is just good natured tomfoolery? :P
Reply 1291
Also, I've heard that St John's students get a lot of abuse haha, I take it this 'abuse' is just good natured tomfoolery? :P

No, everyone would actually be at Oxford than St. Johns I have heard 0: )

Andddd Awesome predicted grades :biggrin: Does it look like you're going to make it?
Original post by kpatb
No, everyone would actually be at Oxford than St. Johns I have heard 0: )

Andddd Awesome predicted grades :biggrin: Does it look like you're going to make it?

Bahaha! I knowww, even my friends here in Northern Ireland have started singing that to me :P

Thank you! :blushing: I doubt I'll get the A* in History of Art, which is going fairly disasterously atm haha, but apart from that I hope so! :smile:

You're for something sciencey at Christ's, right? (I think i read that on the page, but it's possible I just made it up haha). There's a guy who lives in my town who's got an offer for something sciency (you can tell I'm a humanities gal haha) at Christ's! You might meet him! (or be him...that would be embarrassing :tongue: )
Reply 1293
Bahaha! I knowww, even my friends here in Northern Ireland have started singing that to me :P

Thank you! :blushing: I doubt I'll get the A* in History of Art, which is going fairly disasterously atm haha, but apart from that I hope so! :smile:

You're for something sciencey at Christ's, right? (I think i read that on the page, but it's possible I just made it up haha). There's a guy who lives in my town who's got an offer for something sciency (you can tell I'm a humanities gal haha) at Christ's! You might meet him! (or be him...that would be embarrassing :tongue: )

Hahah that's brilliant that even people in Ireland know the song xD
One of the guys in the year above me is already at St. Johns and a guy from my year is also going to St. Johns this October :biggrin: St. Johns is VERY beautiful, despite everyone hating it 0: )

I was asking about your predicted grades because I'm predicted 5A*'s... and I really doubt I'll get it. I have 5 of my most important exams in the space of 2 days in June. AHHH. I sure as hell haven't put enough effort into Music, so I doubt I'll get an A*.

Yes I'm doing something Sciency :P Natural Sciences to be precise :smile:
(And no, you did not just make that up :smile: )
Ooo yay! I have only found one other person doing NatSci at Christ's next year, so I'm glad to now (kind of) know another!

Actually katie_doodles, I am him. Are you embarrassed now? Bwahahha. (was that convincing? :biggrin: But I'm a girl, so don't worry, I'm not this mystery man who lives in your town)
Just wanted to say to all those in the chat last night... well done.

Original post by kpatb
Hahah that's brilliant that even people in Ireland know the song xD
One of the guys in the year above me is already at St. Johns and a guy from my year is also going to St. Johns this October :biggrin: St. Johns is VERY beautiful, despite everyone hating it 0: )

I was asking about your predicted grades because I'm predicted 5A*'s... and I really doubt I'll get it. I have 5 of my most important exams in the space of 2 days in June. AHHH. I sure as hell haven't put enough effort into Music, so I doubt I'll get an A*.

Yes I'm doing something Sciency :P Natural Sciences to be precise :smile:
(And no, you did not just make that up :smile: )
Ooo yay! I have only found one other person doing NatSci at Christ's next year, so I'm glad to now (kind of) know another!

Actually katie_doodles, I am him. Are you embarrassed now? Bwahahha. (was that convincing? :biggrin: But I'm a girl, so don't worry, I'm not this mystery man who lives in your town)

I know, right? :tongue: I walked into formroom the other day to the tune of 'I'd rather be at Oxford' haha, much to my disbelief! :lol:
Yeah, it is absolutely gorgeous. When I went to the open days, it just seemed to tick all of my boxes! So regardless of what other people say, I'll continue to maintain that it's pretty sweet :biggrin:

Ahhh that's unreal! Even doing 5 subjects...kudos! I'd never be fit for that. I'm sure you'll do absolutely brilliantly :biggrin: I know the feeling though, I have six horrendous exams in the space of a week...it's going to be the worst week of my life!

Haha! Yeah, anytime anyone says they're doing a scientific subject, it automatically reduces down to 'something sciency' in my head. I just can't differentiate between them all (terrible I know, but the science part of my brain is seriously underdevelopped!)

Phew. Unless this mystery guy is actually a girl in disguise and you are him/her? (That sentence hurt my head quite a bit haha.) Hmm..I guess not. I suppose we can safely assume there's more than one NatSci student at Christ's :wink: :biggrin:
Reply 1296
Original post by kpatb
Well I doubt the whole Cambridge student population is on TSR xD
I've found another person who has an offer for my course via facebook, but there are 30-35 people NatScis per year at Christ's, and I've only found one other :P

Don't worry about it, they wouldn't have given you the offer if they didn't think you could make it :smile: Just keep doing what you've been doing and you will be fine!

oh and my course/college is Physical Natural Sciences at Christ's :biggrin:

Thanks, I'm sure I'll be fine with the conditions, an offer from Cambridge just seems too good to be true! For days after the call telling me I'd got in I half expected someone to phone up saying it was a prank - just me being paranoid =L
So which subjects are you doing this year?
Reply 1297
Original post by comrade_jon

Hahahaha epic times JB :smile:
Original post by comrade_jon

Did JW knit THAT?
It's so beautiful :cry:
Reply 1299
Is getting and repaying the Student Loan overly bureaucratic? (I have to register with Student Finance Europe anyway because of the College Fee).
I might try to get by without one if repaying abroad is overly bureaucratic.
On the other hand it is really cheap money...

Also have you already applied for Student Finance?
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending