The Student Room Group

How do you feel about introverts?

For those who have experienced being around with someone whos anti-social or social-phobic, or have a classmate in your year who is extremely introverted (someone who is quiet and does not communicate well with people), how do you feel about them? Do they frustrate you? What changes would you like to see in them?

Edit,

Notice the adverb "extremely". My bad if I didn't put it in the title. Please read the op.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

whats anti-phobic?
Reply 2
Original post by lalalalalalamember
For those who have experienced being around with someone whos anti-social or anti-phobic, or have a classmate in your year who is extremely introverted (someone who is quiet and does not communicate well with people), how do you feel about them? Do they frustrate you? What changes would you like to see in them?

FYI
An introvert does in no way necessarily 'not know how to communicate with people'

Please read up on what an introvert is first.
Original post by Lewroll
whats anti-phobic?

Guessing the OP means social-phobic.

Assuming you don't mean introvert & actually mean socially awkward/social-phobic, why does it bother you so much if people keep to themselves? Do they insult you with their quiet presence?
Reply 4
For those who have experienced being around with someone whos anti-social or anti-phobic, or have a classmate in your year who is extremely introverted (someone who is quiet and does not communicate well with people), how do you feel about them? Do they frustrate you? What changes would you like to see in them?

Why don't you just **** off and leave them alone. You're probably one of those really annoying 'have to be centre of attention' types.
Reply 5
I get the impression that extroverts feel awkward around me, and I feel guilty that I make them feel awkward. Cycle of awkwardness.
Reply 6
What you described has nothing to do with being introverted :l

That's more like social anxiety.
Reply 7
Why do they have to change??? I like shy guys. This really attracts me. I don´t know why, but it is cute. I think such bpeople are very interesting because they don´t say so much. That makes me wonder what kind of personality and thoughts they have. I like fostering them so that they talk and tell more about them.

They only have to change if they are not happy with their life.
Original post by robbo3045
Why don't you just **** off and leave them alone. You're probably one of those really annoying 'have to be centre of attention' types.

For your information, I'm one of them.

And I also don't like people who are the "have to be centre of attention" types.
(edited 13 years ago)
I can usually bring them out of their shell. It's kind of easy actually.
Original post by floralia
I am relatively introverted but I do know how to communicate with people...well except when I first meet them, but I've always been a shy person. I have a question though - when you meet people who are more 'introverted', and don't really speak that much (I don't) do you think they are just being bitchy? Because I'm always worried that people think I don't like them/am emotionally cold (I have been called that before, in a jokey way) but really that's not true...

To be honest never in my life have I been in a scenario where I met someone who was genuinely anti social or social phobic. Mostly people who were extroverted. Not surprising.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
For those who have experienced being around with someone whos anti-social or social-phobic, or have a classmate in your year who is extremely introverted (someone who is quiet and does not communicate well with people), how do you feel about them? Do they frustrate you? What changes would you like to see in them?

Edit,

Notice the adverb "extremely". My bad if I didn't put it in the title. Please read the op.

I think you need to look up the word 'introvert'.

What you have described is not what an introvert is.
Original post by disenchant3d
I can usually bring them out of their shell. It's kind of easy actually.

That's because we don't dislike social activity, we're just to scared of making first contact. At least for me anyway.

Shy people aren't bad people.
Reply 13
I am introverted, but feel that there is an outgoing person within me wanting to come out.
Reply 14
Original post by Cynthi007
Why do they have to change??? I like shy guys. This really attracts me. I don´t know why, but it is cute. I think such bpeople are very interesting because they don´t say so much. That makes me wonder what kind of personality and thoughts they have. I like fostering them so that they talk and tell more about them.

They only have to change if they are not happy with their life.

This is the same for me. Shy guys intrigue me, make me want to know more.
OP I used to be extremely introverted but now not so much, sometimes I get socially awkward still, I'm not sure how other people feel about it. Whatever.
It's just a part of who I am and I'm happy with that :smile:
Original post by History-Student
That's because we don't dislike social activity, we're just to scared of making first contact. At least for me anyway.

This.

I sympathize with shy, quiet, awkward people. I wouldnt force anyone out of their shell or to act a certain way, but I dont mind starting a conversation with anyone, even if they seem shy. I used to be have a social anxiety but got over it eventually. Some people just grow up and become more sociable.
You're thinking of shyness. Being introverted is not being shy.

A shy person will avoid social contact out of fear, introverts avoid it out of preference.
Reply 17
My mom and sister (who make up my whole family) are introverts and are pretty shy too in social situations, so I'm used to being around anti-social people. It's just to crack their shell and then they're okay :biggrin: I don't mean to force them open though, but gradually make them feel comfortable :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
I don't mind introverts one bit. Also you get different introverts, they can be shy, but most at my school are just down to earth people, who won't take **** from nobody.
Reply 19
Original post by Elf.
This is the same for me. Shy guys intrigue me, make me want to know more.
OP I used to be extremely introverted but now not so much, sometimes I get socially awkward still, I'm not sure how other people feel about it. Whatever.
It's just a part of who I am and I'm happy with that :smile:

That´s sweet. None of my friends understand my preferrence for shy guys but at least you do. I´d like to find a partner who is not as active as I am to calm me down. Introverted people make me feel relax and calm, which is nice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending