The Student Room Group

The Reading/Leeds Festival Thread 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Is it worth me buying an early bird ticket for Leeds because some of my friends are and they are going to set up our camping spot, so I can just role up on the Friday! :smile:
Reply 81
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Reading is great! I'm going to T in the park this year rather than Reading (because my friends are all going to TitP) but I'm going to hopefully volunteer at Reading this year so will still get to go =D

Oxfam? :ninja:

Original post by *Emerlina*
Hi,

I was just wondering because I'm volunteering this year at Leeds and I've never volunteered at a festival or even been to Leeds fest, does anyone know if there is one big volunteering campsite for everyone or are we all put into the groups with the organisations we're volunteering with? My friends applied to volunteer with Oxfam and I misunderstood so thought they were applying to Hotbox events so stupidly I applied there, and my place is confirmed now which is really cool but oops (quite a big blonde moment there :tongue: ) aaaand so I'm hoping we'll get to camp together still. Does anyone know at all?? If you've done it before, I'd love to hear from you if you can tell me for sure. Quote me please :smile: xxx

OMG my friend did the EXACT same thing, we all signed up for Oxfam and he signed up for Hotbox by accident :P Erm at Reading it was all separate campsites for each company, unfortunately :frown: I imagine it will be the same at Leeds, cos it's all quite secure and we had to show our IDs to get into the Oxfam site etc. However sometimes the people at the door were nice and let him into the campsite so he could join us, but I think it'd be difficult to camp together :/

Another issue is shifts - with Oxfam we were allocated which shifts we had, and if we wanted to swap we had to find somebody else who would swap with us (have to swap all three shifts with that person too, not just one). I don't know how hotbox works, hopefully it's easier to swap so you're working at the same time as your friends, or maybe they even let you choose your shifts,idk.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 82
FRANKKKK TURNERRRR ... Main Stage edition! :teeth:
Reply 83
was meant to be going but people have bailed out on me and i dont want to go alone lol :frown:

gutted, would have loved to seen the strokes and muse especially
Reply 84
Is Reading always as muddy as it was last year? and is there a chance it could be any warmer? would be so awesome if it we're in July :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 85
The only problem i can see with that poster is that the Noisettes confirmed they'd play in an interview, they may however be added later on.

I think its a really poor line up (IMO) and i'm already going to see Pete Doherty and The Strokes anyway. Beady Eye, BBC, Rise Against and one or two others are the only bands i'd like to see, so I would never pay £200.
Hmm if that's the true lineup I may have a ticket for sale :-/ might go Oxegen instead xx
Original post by Ollie098
Is Reading always as muddy as it was last year? and is there a chance it could be any warmer? would be so awesome if it we're in July :biggrin:

The area is pretty susceptible (sp?!) to mud since it's on a river - but I've never seen it that bad before.

and lol it's late August, so good luck to anybody predicting British weather this far in advance....
Reply 88
Original post by Swell
The only problem i can see with that poster is that the Noisettes confirmed they'd play in an interview, they may however be added later on.

I think its a really poor line up (IMO) and i'm already going to see Pete Doherty and The Strokes anyway. Beady Eye, BBC, Rise Against and one or two others are the only bands i'd like to see, so I would never pay £200.

Main stage looks pretty much full (maybe 1 or 2 to be added) but there's still room on second stage (plus a 'special guest' slot), and every stage lower, so that's not even half the line up, plenty of time for them to be added.
Yeah, that line up looks pretty legit. I've never been to Reading before, but it looks pretty decent to me. Not my dream line up, but should be pretty sick. Dance tent hasn't been leaked yet (Justice :crossedf:) and neither has Lock-Up, so hopefully my prayers will be answered!
I really hope that line-up isn't true. There's very little there that interests me. Unfortunately it does look fairly legit. :frown: Roll on 7:15 anyway.
if it's true i'm selling my ticket...

i cannot stand muse... and MCR headlining.. is that some sort of joke?

rest is pretty meh... few i'd like to see but not worth the money.
Reply 92
OMG my friend did the EXACT same thing, we all signed up for Oxfam and he signed up for Hotbox by accident :P Erm at Reading it was all separate campsites for each company, unfortunately I imagine it will be the same at Leeds, cos it's all quite secure and we had to show our IDs to get into the Oxfam site etc. However sometimes the people at the door were nice and let him into the campsite so he could join us, but I think it'd be difficult to camp together :/

Another issue is shifts - with Oxfam we were allocated which shifts we had, and if we wanted to swap we had to find somebody else who would swap with us (have to swap all three shifts with that person too, not just one). I don't know how hotbox works, hopefully it's easier to swap so you're working at the same time as your friends, or maybe they even let you choose your shifts,idk.

Thanks so much for your reply! Oh dear this doesnt look too good for me. Im soooo sorry about all the questions, but do you think maybe my best best is to try and apply for Oxfam then? They do a waitlist thing but its not running at the moment, so ill do it when its up again probably. Ohmygod i cant believe ive done this :s btw if you have your Oxfam application confirmed, does that mean you're in? Because one of my friends said hers had been the other day, and obviously i got insanely excited thinking it was for Hotbox as well but no :/ she said apparently her cousin volunteered last year and camped in the general campsites, but from the organisations' websites and from what you've said that doesnt look possible so im just going to have to cross my fingers and hope i get a place on oxfam. oh god this is quite literally the biggest, hugest blonde moment in my life. And by the way im so sorry about all these questions, but these are literally open to anyone to answer if you have the slightest of Reading, Leeds or what a very very blonde person could do to get herself of this sort of situation(!!) Thank youuuuuuu. Oh and please quote me :smile: xx
Reply 93

Original post by ily_em

I'm just thinking...as a volunteer, do you not have access to the normal campsite anyway, as well as your own volunteer company's site? So, if you wanted, you could just camp in the main campsite together. I'm sure this is the case, as a couple of girls I camped near at Reading last year were volunteers, camping with their big group of friends
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 94
really? so you could actually camp on the main campsite anyway? would you remember at all who they were volunteering for? if this was literally true this would be so so so amazing. sorry about all the questions, i would literally love love love this if it was true!
Reply 95
really? so you could actually camp on the main campsite anyway? would you remember at all who they were volunteering for? if this was literally true this would be so so so amazing. sorry about all the questions, i would literally love love love this if it was true!

I have no idea who they volunteered for, but they were patrolling the campsite one night (I don't know if different companies have different duties?) as I was chatting to them when they were wearing their high-vis jackets. I guess it could be that some volunteer companies don't have their own campsite so have to camp in the main site. The only other problem I can think of is volunteers arrive before everyone else don't they? So wouldn't have access to the main campsite until it actually opens...might be possible to move your tent after, or these girls may have got their friends to set up their tents for them there :dontknow:
Reply 96

I'm sure Oxfam wouldn't care if you camp away from the site, as long as you're where you have to be when you need to be there. The only issue is if you're allowed to do that from the festival's point of view - I don't know how camping works outside of volunteering, but aren't people allocated certain campsites? eg there was yellow, green, red, white, how does it work with where you're permitted to stay?

Also bear in mind that you will have odd timed shifts - the staff campsites are generally a lot quieter so it's easier to sleep when you need to.

Thanks so much for your reply! Oh dear this doesnt look too good for me. Im soooo sorry about all the questions, but do you think maybe my best best is to try and apply for Oxfam then? They do a waitlist thing but its not running at the moment, so ill do it when its up again probably. Ohmygod i cant believe ive done this :s btw if you have your Oxfam application confirmed, does that mean you're in? Because one of my friends said hers had been the other day, and obviously i got insanely excited thinking it was for Hotbox as well but no :/ she said apparently her cousin volunteered last year and camped in the general campsites, but from the organisations' websites and from what you've said that doesnt look possible so im just going to have to cross my fingers and hope i get a place on oxfam. oh god this is quite literally the biggest, hugest blonde moment in my life. And by the way im so sorry about all these questions, but these are literally open to anyone to answer if you have the slightest of Reading, Leeds or what a very very blonde person could do to get herself of this sort of situation(!!) Thank youuuuuuu. Oh and please quote me :smile: xx

Sorry missed this post at first! Yeh you could get on the waiting list, but won't you lose your deposit for hotbox?

And yeh once you submit the form and pay you officially have a place.
(edited 13 years ago)
First time festival goer.

Actually feeling quite anxious about getting Leeds tickets.
Reply 98
Every single year people go through this "this lineup is terrible, selling my ticket" and yet it always ends up being awesome...

Original post by Ultimate_Geek
First time festival goer.

Actually feeling quite anxious about getting Leeds tickets.

Getting Leeds tickets is a cut-throat experience. :colone: I hope your F5 key is ready for this...
Reply 99
Original post by ily_em
I'm sure Oxfam wouldn't care if you camp away from the site, as long as you're where you have to be when you need to be there. The only issue is if you're allowed to do that from the festival's point of view - I don't know how camping works outside of volunteering, but aren't people allocated certain campsites? eg there was yellow, green, red, white, how does it work with where you're permitted to stay?

Also bear in mind that you will have odd timed shifts - the staff campsites are generally a lot quieter so it's easier to sleep when you need to.

You're not allocated any colour site, the colours are just to help identify where you are. You just go and find a space wherever you like.
Although another issue I've just thought of, they obviously only have a certain capacity for the campsite...so I could be completely wrong...I guess most likely option is the company these girls volunteered for doesn't have its own site, or their friends set their tents up for them/slept in friend's tents...

Basically...I'm talking *******s, haven't got a clue what I'm talking about, thought I was trying to help but just causing more confusion to both myself and others :p:

Quick Reply

Latest