The Student Room Group

I don't want to pay this stupid library fine!

So I got a book on Thursday that was due for return on Friday. However, i didn't bring it back till Monday cause I was still working on my essay... Anyway that is besides the point. Today my bag was a little big wet because I had spilt water inside it and this must have dampened the book a tiny bit, so a few of the pages were wet like the just the side of them. If I had enough time I would have dried them myself and they would have been fine but I had to hurry to hand in an essay cause the deadline was near so just took the book back aswell. So she says I will probably have to pay for another book! Even though it is hardly damaged. Seriously it is a tiny bit of water, that once dried in, the book would have been fine! When I recieved the book it had loads of highlighted bits and underlined text with ink! This is obviously permenant damage yet I bet they weren't charged!

Anyway, I just want to know if anyone can help me avoid having to pay for a new book! :/

Scroll to see replies

I'd argue that point that when you received it there was permanent damage on it already.

How much is the book anyway?
You signed up to agree to the T&Cs of the library. If they can fine you they will. If it is a uni library you'll be barred from proceeding next year if you don't pay.
Reply 3
Original post by secret_smile
I'd argue that point that when you received it there was permanent damage on it already.

How much is the book anyway?

£7.26 on amazon.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by pamelaa
£7.26 on amazon.

hardly expensive then really is it.. Just insist you get to keep the 'damaged copy'
Original post by rainbowbex
hardly expensive then really is it..

It's the principle. :colonhash:
Reply 7
it's your own fault. just pay up if it's only £7
Reply 8
We have one of those boxes but short loan books have to be handed back into the short loan desk bit because they are in 'high demand'
Is this Strathclyde uni by any chance?
Reply 10
Original post by hanaalou
it's your own fault. just pay up if it's only £7

which is a lot of money to me at the moment!
Reply 11
Original post by lyrical_lie
Is this Strathclyde uni by any chance?

Yep :colondollar:
Reply 12
Moral of the story, don't return books late.
Reply 13
Original post by pamelaa
which is a lot of money to me at the moment!

shouldve thought about that before you got it wet!
Reply 14
Think of it this way:

Don't take it as a fine, but rather as a donation. Think of what great service the library is providing to you and the community absolutely free of charge and just give it as a donation or thanks for it.

I have been fined several times for overdue books (probably around £10 in total by now). The first time I was a bit angry and didn't want to pay it, but then from then I thought of this and just was happy to pay for the donation. It doesn't even make me feel bad or anything when I have to pay fees (not doing it on purpose however, just carelessness and forgetting the return dates...)
she hasn't actually said we will fine you...

i'm sure nothing will come of it
Reply 16
Original post by Doyle&TheFourFathers
she hasn't actually said we will fine you...

i'm sure nothing will come of it

She said she'd taken my details so they can decide whats happening with it. I've emailed them now though & the person in charge of short loan is going to get back to me because the emaill has been forwarded to her.

blergh
Reply 17
I hate library fines :| I currently owe Keele £15. Apparantly I didnt take the book back until 2 weeks after the return date, when I know for a fact I popped it into the quick return box on the same day I took it out. Now I have to pay for some nameless librarians misshap, and not only that but the book only cost 7 bloody quid.
Original post by pamelaa
Yep :colondollar:

Oh the short loan guy there thinks I'm an idiot... he was all like have you checked the week loan books, well meh of course I did. But it was essay time and it turned out that someone had stolen the law reviews everyone needed. Was not good. Also the security guards there locked my friends in the library. Good times :tongue:
I had fines last year whilst @ uni, and I had them wiped! Refused to pay them because I had no email notification of when they were due back. Fine was about £15. Friend of a friend had a £50 fine, again she argued it and it was wiped!

But in all seriousness, if they are that bothered about a tiny lil bit of wet on the book, just say you'll buy the book. OR argue it. I had plenty of books last year, that had been wet, left to dry and handed back in. It's not biggy, so long as the text is still visible, I honestly can't see the problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending