The Student Room Group

Im picking difficult A Levels :/

hiya
im in year 11 at the moment
and have chosen to do: maths, english (lang/lit), history and business studies
im really happy on what i have chosen as they give me a wide range of choices to do after sixth form
but everyones telling me that i wont have any time to myself or to go out with those subject
are they right?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You've chosen a range that'll give you broad options when it comes to picking a degree.
So long as you actually have a genuine interest, and work hard, it shouldn't be too difficult.
It's not like you're doing all 3 sciences & maths...
As long as you manage to stay on top of things and don't fall behind, you will have plenty of time to yourself :smile:
Hah those people are wrong...i wouldnt call ur course to rigorous. Err id choose pure eng lit way more prestigious to unis (if thats what u wanna do).
Reply 4
Sigh

thousands of students balance their time enough for these subjects. I chose what people would call hard subjects yet I feel ive had a great social life over the last 2 years. It all depends on how hard you work.
Reply 5
Original post by gunner4lyf44
Hah those people are wrong...i wouldnt call ur course to rigorous. Err id choose pure eng lit way more prestigious to unis (if thats what u wanna do).

yes ive heard that about english lit
but it clashes with another subject i want to do in the options blocks :frown:
Don't worry, I did Maths, Biology, English Lang/Lit and Business Studies and still had plenty of time to go out and enjoy myself :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Chriss95
hiya
im really happy on what i have chosen as they give me a wide range of choices to do after sixth form
but everyones telling me that i wont have any time to myself or to go out with those subject
are they right?

it's not that bad, I do maths, further maths, chemistry and physics, and I still go out etc. just use your time effectively when you're in school/got frees/not doing anything and you'll keep on top of your work :smile:
1st year is usually 4 subjects. That's fine.
Reply 9
It really isn't as bad as everyone makes out, I do Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Physics, & Chemistry, and I have two jobs, and I still find (probably more than I should) time to just chill :smile:
Original post by Chriss95
hiya
are they right?

business studies... hard??? What world do you live in?
Reply 11
IMO Eng lit/ lang doesn't give you the best of both worlds, some people do find pure Eng lit a bit boring though lol

i'd prole swap out BS for something else too, pun not intended xD
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
You can still have a decent social life with those subjects. Easily. Unless your time management skills are legendarily poor.
Reply 13
They're fine :smile:
Whoever is saying that is clearly an idiot. You'll have to work hard, everyone will, but not moreso because of your subject choices.
Anyhow, I did an "easy" subject (drama) and it's turned out to be, for me, the hardest. The practical is fine but drama essays are the bane of my life.
Maths is hard, but there's not a massive workload if you know your stuff. History and English can be essay heavy, but if you can keep up, it's not a problem. Business Studies has a bit of a reputation for being soft, so there's nothing to worry about there. All in all, that's a pretty standard set of choices.
Original post by Racheld25
You've chosen a range that'll give you broad options when it comes to picking a degree.
So long as you actually have a genuine interest, and work hard, it shouldn't be too difficult.
It's not like you're doing all 3 sciences & maths...

Hah, all 3 sciences and math?
Give me a break,
try doing english,history,sociology and economics and compare that to 3 science and math .
Sciences might be more ''difficult'' but there is definitely a lot more to learn in social sciences.
Reply 16
All A-levels are the same difficulty!

Seriously:

Maths isn't much work but Business is quite a lot of HW... Can't talk about the rest but I think English/History is quite a lot of work
In all fairness minus before exams, I seem to find more than enough time for myself and I would say that people are over-exaggerating the work-load of A-Levels. I did History, English Lit, Psychology and Politics, all essay subjects and found balancing work and play rather easy, and still came out with AAAB.

I suppose it is about time management though and how clever/good at remembering you are generally.
Reply 18
Original post by crazycake93
business studies... hard??? What world do you live in?

I did Maths, F Maths, ICT and Business AS and did way better on Maths and F Maths than in the other 2
I did all 3 sciences and maths, got AAAB and had a buzzing social life. You'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest