The Student Room Group

Do you lie about your weekend activities?

Last week, I read two articles about adults lying to their friends/collegues about their week ends (what they have been doing). They stated that they were not confident to say the truth or "did not want to bore the one who asked" (I think the last argument is the same as the first; if you are confident you'll say you've been sitting on the couch watching movies the whole weekend and won't be bothered).

Personally, I don't understand why people should lie about such a banal theme. You cannot do something awesome every single weekend. Weekends are there for resting (especially for adults who work full-time during the week) and gathering new energy.

Now I am curious to find out if our generation (say 16 to 26 year-old-students) is making up things about their Saturdays and Sundays. Do you? Why? Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

No. No point. *Discussion*
Reply 2
Nah. I'm ok with admitting that I've done nothing if I've done nothing.
Reply 3
Nah i always tell people what i've done, whether thats absolutely nothing. partied the whole weekend, or been a loner and done work.

I know people who lie, sometimes its fairly obvious and i get embarrassed for them, and i dunno why.

Especially students, seem to think if they tell people they didn't go out at all on the weekend then people may think they are loners
I hardly ever do anything at the weekend because I live in a tiny village with no-one for miles around and rubbishy public transport links. And everyone knows that, so it's fine.
Reply 5
pretty strange to do so if you ask me, unless the ones doing it are hugely insecure about their social status, or is currently living up to high expectations that they probably got by generating these false stories in the first place
It's difficult to lie about surfing TSR, looking for ways to inflate my ego..

:getmecoat:
Yes, when pressed for detail. However, I can usually get away with it by answering the question with "nothing much". They either assume it's something I don't want to talk about with them or I'm (rightfully) boring, either way, it ends that discussion.
Reply 8
Yeah, but usually because they wouldn't understand the activities I do.
I pretty much lie about everything in my life, my weekends are a common one. I do nothing but watch tv & go online, so I make stuff up.

My lies usually involve stuff outside of town because there's less chance they'll be able to catch me out in case they were there themselves. I even have a consistent series of fake friends so I'm not caught out trying to think of a name.
I don't lie about what I actually did. I often justify why I didn't do anything, when people ask me if I went out I usually say no then follow it up by a reason. I usually lie about the reason rather than amitting I wasn't invited anywhere.
Reply 11
Original post by History-Student

Original post by History-Student
I pretty much lie about everything in my life, my weekends are a common one. I do nothing but watch tv & go online, so I make stuff up.

My lies usually involve stuff outside of town because there's less chance they'll be able to catch me out in case they were there themselves. I even have a consistent series of fake friends so I'm not caught out trying to think of a name.

your sig is strange, i didn't catch on at first haha!
thought it was your details :P
Reply 12
I usually tell them that I sleep during the weekend because quite frankly, it's true and most of the time, I don't actually remember what I do at the weekend.
Also, it's better than telling them that I spent all my weekend on TSR...which may or may not be true....
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
I spend the weekends counting my arms. then I start again and again and again.
Original post by Gemma :)!
I hardly ever do anything at the weekend because I live in a tiny village with no-one for miles around and rubbishy public transport links. And everyone knows that, so it's fine.

likewise :smile:
I don't lie about my weekend, I tell the truth because there's no point in lying.
Reply 16
Original post by SAK.A
Yeah, but usually because they wouldn't understand the activities I do.

Now I'm curious! What are those activities? I'll try to understand ;-)
At the beginning of every week I have a friend who always ask how my weekend is and I always reply the same 'nothing much.' She probably thinks 'what the hell do she do all weekend?!' But I am not gonna lie to make my life seem more exciting when it mainly consists of the internet :woo:

I need a hobby....
Reply 18
Yeah, I tend to lie.

Unless "yeah, I'll probably go out and do something" is actually synonymous with "do nothing but eat, sleep and online gaming all weekend."
Reply 19
Original post by izemjo
Now I'm curious! What are those activities? I'll try to understand ;-)

You know the usual waking up at 3am in the morning and finding bodies on the floor of your house which is in the middle of nowhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending