The Student Room Group

Proof America after Libyas oil!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by imzir
And we still have people (unfortunately) on this forum who insist that America isn't taking oil from Libya despite having any idea of what America is and what they have done in the past.

America does not get any oil from Libya. Why bother with Libya they would go for Iran.

Saudi Arabia already covered any loss of production.

Every action America takes is now for "oil". There is never any substance behind it.
Reply 21
Original post by boba
top 15 oil exporters:

1 Saudi Arabia
2 Russia
3 United Arab Emirates .
4 Iran
5 Kuwait
6 Nigeria
7 European Union
8 Venezuela
9 Norway
10 Canada
11 Iraq .
12 Algeria
13 United States
14 Netherlands
15 Libya

so can we please stop this now?
I would guess that the reason they are intervening is how much publicity there is and how bad they would look if they didn't.

Lol. Libya is still a major oil producer like the articel said. If it is 15th it is still a major oil producer more than worthwhile for invading to take oil from. Jeez. And wheres Egypt on the list ?
Reply 22
Original post by amsie/
So what other reasons are there, besides humanitarian?

If you pull it off well then as a leader you are going to have + publicity, + poll rating etc.. One of Thatchers defining moments was the Falklands.

No one is going to want the country to go into a long drawn out civil war or to see someone who pounds his own citizens into submission stay as leader through violence.
Reply 23

Your "evidence" actually proves the opposite is true. Stability = low oil prices and a dictator of 42 years about to squash a rebel uprising = stability. Intervening now only worsens the situation with regards to oil prices.

Now do I think that the coalition are acting purely for humanitarian reason? No. Do I think oil is irrelevant? No (though I do think you're overstating it massively). The truth is they want rid of Gadaffi and the perfect opportunity presented itself.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by imzir
Lol. Libya is still a major oil producer like the articel said. If it is 15th it is still a major oil producer more than worthwhile for invading to take oil from. Jeez. And wheres Egypt on the list ?

The US last year made $6,836 million out of exports to Egypt and yet didn't use force.
Reply 25
Original post by IGregg
If you pull it off well then as a leader you are going to have + publicity, + poll rating etc.. One of Thatchers defining moments was the Falklands.

No one is going to want the country to go into a long drawn out civil war or to see someone who pounds his own citizens into submission stay as leader through violence.

So David Cameron intervened to become more popular? Couldn't the UN have done this without Britain?
It's happened with other countries.
Reply 26
Original post by imzir

spending millions of pounds to invade someone based on the fact that they they have less of something than you is in no way worth while.
also why so much america hate since france were the ones pushing for action and then we supported them. the Eu was quite a bit higher on the list than lybia. I mean for god sake canada and the netherlands are higher up if we had a dispute with them would you go "ZOMG OIL" or is it just what you assume based on where libya is?

how popular do you think politicians who sit and watch people being slaughtered by their leaders without even pretending to care would be/. Gadaffi has always been an awful man but noone has done anything about it before because we have actually benifited from him being in power and the average person had no reason for it to cross their minds. now all of this is so public they can't afford to just sit by and let him stay in power any more because of how it would make them look.
Reply 27
America's interests lie in the Middle East area regarding oil reserves and supply hence the invasion of Iraq.

France's interest lie in North Africa, hence why they spearheading the attack on Libya.

There was much more slaughtering taking place in Sudan and still millions suffer but our politicians don't invade in order to protect the human rights of the minorities. Why? Because Sudan has no oil.

The same goes for Yemen, a lot of slaughtering is going on for decades, why don't we intervene. Because their oil reserves are minimal and we can get only a few years return out of them.
Libya doesn't have that much oil.

And regardless, if something good comes out of it for the Libyan people, I OK with it.
Reply 29
Original post by boba
top 15 oil exporters:

1 Saudi Arabia
2 Russia
3 United Arab Emirates .
4 Iran
5 Kuwait
6 Nigeria
7 European Union
8 Venezuela
9 Norway
10 Canada
11 Iraq .
12 Algeria
13 United States
14 Netherlands
15 Libya

I would guess that the reason they are intervening is how much publicity there is and how bad they would look if they didn't.

Are the Netherlands not in the EU?
Reply 30
Original post by amsie/
So David Cameron intervened to become more popular? Couldn't the UN have done this without Britain?
It's happened with other countries.

You are changing my words, I am not saying he is intervening to become more popular but if he pulls it off then he is going to get rewards when it comes to support. How much, or if at all that entered his mind, only he could tell you.

And it was through the UN, there was a resolution passed? Britain, France and the US (I think it's the sixth fleet based near by) are the only countries in the area with the military capability to pull it off properly.. It's only logical they take the lead.
Reply 31
Original post by cybergrad
America's interests lie in the Middle East area regarding oil reserves and supply hence the invasion of Iraq.

France's interest lie in North Africa, hence why they spearheading the attack on Libya.

There was much more slaughtering taking place in Sudan and still millions suffer but our politicians don't invade in order to protect the human rights of the minorities. Why? Because Sudan has no oil.

The same goes for Yemen, a lot of slaughtering is going on for decades, why don't we intervene. Because their oil reserves are minimal and we can get only a few years return out of them.

Original post by boba
spending millions of pounds to invade someone based on the fact that they they have less of something than you is in no way worth while.
also why so much america hate since france were the ones pushing for action and then we supported them. the Eu was quite a bit higher on the list than lybia. I mean for god sake canada and the netherlands are higher up if we had a dispute with them would you go "ZOMG OIL" or is it just what you assume based on where libya is?

how popular do you think politicians who sit and watch people being slaughtered by their leaders without even pretending to care would be/. Gadaffi has always been an awful man but noone has done anything about it before because we have actually benifited from him being in power and the average person had no reason for it to cross their minds. now all of this is so public they can't afford to just sit by and let him stay in power any more because of how it would make them look.

theres your answer
Reply 32
Original post by imzir

Sorry, can you just remind me when this invasion of Libya was? Can't seem to find it on the news.
Reply 33

When the US invaded Iraq the second time, their freedom offensive was called 'Operation Iraqi Liberation', but then someone realize that was giving too much away so they renamed it 'Operation Iraqi Freedom' instead =p
Obviously they want oil. I would invade them for their oil if I had an army, for a hundred dollars a barrel.
Reply 34

Without a proper military invasion it would be impossible to help those countries, that is not what is happening here.
Reply 35
Original post by Reck16
When the US invaded Iraq the second time, their freedom offensive was called 'Operation Iraqi Liberation', but then someone realize that was giving too much away so they renamed it 'Operation Iraqi Freedom' instead =p
Obviously they want oil. I would invade them for their oil if I had an army, for a hundred dollars a barrel.

What?

Here is the definition of liberation: the attempt to achieve equal rights or status; "she worked for women's liberation."
Reply 36
Original post by boba
top 15 oil exporters:

1 Saudi Arabia
2 Russia
3 United Arab Emirates .
4 Iran
5 Kuwait
6 Nigeria
7 European Union
8 Venezuela
9 Norway
10 Canada
11 Iraq .
12 Algeria
13 United States
14 Netherlands
15 Libya

It doesn't matter in what position they are in, their oil still has a great impact on our imports. $31 billion a year and with a capacity to produce more, many western countries would like to get their hands on so much money.

http://en.rian.ru/infographics/20110222/162716781.html
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 37
We don't intervene in Yemen because their government is already on-side with the west and cooperative with regards to terrorism. Yes we only act when it benefits us, no that doesn't necessarily always equate directly with oil.
Reply 38
Original post by QUWERTY
Are the Netherlands not in the EU?

yes I don't really understand why but this list includes the EU as a whole and then the individual countries as well individually the UK was 17th

Pretty sure oil is Sudan's main export.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending