The Student Room Group

STEP 1 - What should i go over?

Im looking to do some STEP I papers, as quite a few people on TSR have taken STEP I in year, and although i have no intention of taking it in year 12, i would just like to see what i could do, so does STEP I need any particular modular knowledge?
Im working for the 2004 paper, and its very challenging (to say the least) but not impossible
Reply 1
Original post by Jampolo
Im looking to do some STEP I papers, as quite a few people on TSR have taken STEP I in year, and although i have no intention of taking it in year 12, i would just like to see what i could do, so does STEP I need any particular modular knowledge?
Im working for the 2004 paper, and its very challenging (to say the least) but not impossible

The specification of what you need to know is here: http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/digitalAssets/121337_Specification.pdf

I would also recommend having a look through this booklet, it really helps:
http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/admissions/step/advpcm.pdf
Reply 2
Original post by Potassium^2
The specification of what you need to know is here: http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/digitalAssets/121337_Specification.pdf

Oooh thank you,should keep me occupied for some time :tongue:

btw your module scores are amazing! /gasp, good luck in c4 :tongue:
Reply 3
Original post by Jampolo
Oooh thank you,should keep me occupied for some time :tongue:

btw your module scores are amazing! /gasp, good luck in c4 :tongue:

thanks:wink: I sat c4 in jan but got a dismal score so it'll be a resit :tongue:
thanks:wink: I sat c4 in jan but got a dismal score so it'll be a resit :tongue:

Sorry if people have asked you this so much that it's become really annoying by now, but why are you rejecting your Cambridge offer in favour of Warwick? In any case, hopefully see you there. :smile:

OP: to put it simply, you just need C1 - C4 knowledge for any of the major rexam boards for STEP1, although some knowledge found in further modules, such as proof by induction in FP1, may be of use. But if you start preparing now by working through papers - and seeing as you have the summer holidays with which to do whatever you like, research deeper into your weaker areas - now, you should be able to get a very respectable grade come next June.
(edited 13 years ago)

Why did you firm warwick and not cambridge?
Reply 6
Original post by Killer Bean
Sorry if people have asked you this so much that it's become really annoying by now, but why are you rejecting your Cambridge offer in favour of Warwick? In any case, hopefully see you there. :smile:

Basically I'm not gonna achieve the offer so it would be silly firming Cambridge with Warwick as insurance and then be left without a place, forced into a gap year with increased fees. Maybe it was the wrong decision? I don't know, but what I do know is that I have no regrets :wink:. Hopefully see you there soon. Do you know when we apply for accommodation?
Basically I'm not gonna achieve the offer so it would be silly firming Cambridge with Warwick as insurance and then be left without a place, forced into a gap year with increased fees. Maybe it was the wrong decision? I don't know, but what I do know is that I have no regrets :wink:. Hopefully see you there soon. Do you know when we apply for accommodation?

Why aren't you going to achieve the offer?
Reply 8
Original post by Extricated
Why aren't you going to achieve the offer?

Basically STEP :colondollar:
Basically STEP :colondollar:

Not trying to be rude or anything, but obviously you were going to get a 1,1 offer in STEP..didn't you consider that before? :s-smilie:

This post is attracting neg rep for some reason, let me just clear up any ambiguity. I said he was obviously going to get a 1,1 OFFER, not 1,1 RESULTS
(edited 13 years ago)
Not trying to be rude or anything, but obviously you were going to get a 1,1 offer in STEP..didn't you consider that before? :s-smilie:

That's not a fair thing to say to anyone. You don't seem to understand that over 50% of Cambridge offer holders fail to get 1,1 in STEP II and III. It IS very difficult to do.

You haven't done enough maths to even be able to attempt a STEP paper yet so you probably don't understand how difficult STEP really is.

Obviously I did not

Original post by Farhan.Hanif93

You haven't done enough maths to even be able to attempt a STEP paper yet so you probably don't understand how difficult STEP really is.

I seriously don't understand where I said it was remotely easy? :s-smilie:

I have done c1,c2,m1 and am in the process of teaching myself c3, so i think i could attempt some questions..which again invalidates your argument..
(edited 13 years ago)
I seriously don't understand where I said it was remotely easy? :s-smilie:

I have done c1,c2,m1 and am in the process of teaching myself c3, so i think i could attempt some questions..which again invalidates your argument..

My apologies, I misread your post as "obviously you were going to get 1,1 in STEP". The wording in your post suggested that you were heading for that; it was a weird place where you used the word "offer"...

At your current stage, you're not ready to tackle a STEP paper as far as knowledge is concerned. Certainly there's one or two questions that can be done but that doesn't constitute as an 'attempt' in my book, as I suggested with my post.
My apologies, I misread your post as "obviously you were going to get 1,1 in STEP". The wording in your post suggested that you were heading for that; it was a weird place where you used the word "offer"...

At your current stage, you're not ready to tackle a STEP paper as far as knowledge is concerned. Certainly there's one or two questions that can be done but that doesn't constitute as an 'attempt' in my book, as I suggested with my post.

Ok, no worries, misread the post. I know it would have sounded ridiculously ignorant if i said 'obviously you were going to get 1,1 in STEP', because I am nowhere near even a U. Thankfully, i'm not that ignorant. Good luck with STEP II AND III. :smile:
Ok, no worries, misread the post. I know it would have sounded ridiculously ignorant if i said 'obviously you were going to get 1,1 in STEP', because I am nowhere near even a U. Thankfully, i'm not that ignorant. Good luck with STEP II AND III. :smile:

Thanks, I'm certainly going to need it. I've just found out some more bad news. I have STEP II, FP2, M3 on the 20th and then STEP III, M2, S2 on the 22nd. This will probably prove as the biggest test of my maths ability for the foreseeable future...
Thanks, I'm certainly going to need it. I've just found out some more bad news. I have STEP II, FP2, M3 on the 20th and then STEP III, M2, S2 on the 22nd. This will probably prove as the biggest test of my maths ability for the foreseeable future...

Ouch, i am sure you will do very well!
Reply 17
Original post by Killer Bean

OP: to put it simply, you just need C1 - C4 knowledge for any of the major rexam boards for STEP1, although some knowledge found in further modules, such as proof by induction in FP1, may be of use. But if you start preparing now by working through papers - and seeing as you have the summer holidays with which to do whatever you like, research deeper into your weaker areas - now, you should be able to get a very respectable grade come next June.

thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending