The Student Room Group

I don't want to pay this stupid library fine!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by pamelaa
So I got a book on Thursday that was due for return on Friday. However, i didn't bring it back till Monday cause I was still working on my essay... Anyway that is besides the point. Today my bag was a little big wet because I had spilt water inside it and this must have dampened the book a tiny bit, so a few of the pages were wet like the just the side of them. If I had enough time I would have dried them myself and they would have been fine but I had to hurry to hand in an essay cause the deadline was near so just took the book back aswell. So she says I will probably have to pay for another book! Even though it is hardly damaged. Seriously it is a tiny bit of water, that once dried in, the book would have been fine! When I recieved the book it had loads of highlighted bits and underlined text with ink! This is obviously permenant damage yet I bet they weren't charged!

Anyway, I just want to know if anyone can help me avoid having to pay for a new book! :/

Should have got the hairdryer on it then. Dry it off and then return it to a different librarian or through the self-return system if you have one of those.

I ripped the cover off a book earlier this year, sellotaped it back on and no-one called me out on it yet.
Reply 21
you could've renewed the book on friday:s-smilie:
Reply 22
Original post by pamelaa
She said she'd taken my details so they can decide whats happening with it. I've emailed them now though & the person in charge of short loan is going to get back to me because the emaill has been forwarded to her.

blergh

You do realize there is a £2.50 fee added on each day until the book is returned? your fine may now be in the region of £50 plus for a £7 book.:eek:
Reply 23
Original post by FBPS
you could've renewed the book on friday:s-smilie:

I wasn't at uni on friday.
If you damage a book/don't return it on time a library will fine you. It's their property, not yours.

Just buy the new book and stop dragging your heels over it - is £7.50 really that much of an issue? Look at the bigger picture - they might stop you progressing onto next year or ban you from the library so you won't be able to look at books you need for essays.
Reply 25
Original post by pamelaa
I wasn't at uni on friday.

couldn't you phone in or something?
Reply 26
I argue my way out of fines. :colonhash:

Do that if you really don't want to pay for it. Or just pay for it.

Quick Reply

Latest