The Student Room Group

Which AS should I drop this year, because I'm thinking about picking up..?

Hi there,

I'll tell you a few of my issues as succinctly as possible.

Firstly, I am studying 4 AS's at the moment in English Literature, Law, Drama & Theatre Studies, and Business Studies (All of which are in AQA apart from Drama which is edexcel).

Well, I did okay for my January exams. I got an A in Law Unit 2 and a C in Business Studies Unit 1, though I was 1 mark away from a B and 5 away from an A grade - which sort of p****s me off!

Anyhow, I've got 6 exams including the BUSS1 re-sit in May..sadly, although some people are having 6+ exams, all my exams are cramped up together during the 16th - 24th of May.

Also, my most important questions I'd like to ask are the following:

1) I've already put my name down and will be paying on the 24th of March (this thursday) to re-sit my BUSS1 exam. How much do you think I should revise for this exam, on top of my BUSS2 exam and with my other exams?

2) Considering the fact that I will be dropping an AS next year and keeping 3 A2's, I also thought of the possibility of picking up an extra AS in Government & Politics. Please tell me what you think of this move and whether or not I should keep 3 A2's and an AS or the latter?

3) I would like to study Law at University, and although most universities tend to prefer applicants without actually studying Law at A Level, how likely am I to be accepted in the top universities, such as Queen Mary or York/Exeter? Also, relating to universities - I was looking at a few league tables on Law Schools in the country, found in the Guardian and a few other sites, and noticed that Queen Mary (for Law) comes in at 3rd, behind Oxford and Cambridge? But how would employers look at it - would they look at the university I went to or would they consider the law school itself?

4) I'd like to drop either Drama or Business at the end of this year, and am interested in picking up Gov & Pols As during my A2's. I am already aware of the fact that A2' s are a lot harder, and I'll be putting myself in a more pressurised position if I do pick up the Gov & Pols AS, but what do you think realistically? Should I pick it up or should I just carry on with my A2's and the AS that I will have?

Thank you for all the helpful answers.

P.S

Here is the Guardian page I was speaking about: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2010/jun/04/university-guide-law

Scroll to see replies

If you drop anything then drop business, in my opinion
reasoning behind this is because many unis consider it to be a softer subject
Original post by 4mar_ar5en4l
If you drop anything then drop business, in my opinion
reasoning behind this is because many unis consider it to be a softer subject

Are you sure this is true, because I've heard that Business is a 'soft' subject, but that it is not "softer" than drama? also, are you studying for AS's or A2's?
I'm in year 11, but as I did my Maths GCSE early and because my school also has a sixth form, I currently do AS Level Maths and the rest GCSE. My maths teacher is the main person for getting into college and we were having this discussion. She said that unis consider it to be a softer subject, however as I had no interest in drama I didnt ask

Hope that helps
Original post by masterwayne10

Anyhow, I've got 6 exams including the BUSS1 re-sit in May..sadly, although some people are having 6+ exams, all my exams are cramped up together during the 16th - 24th of May.

Same, I think this is the nature of the session... I have M1 one week, 5 exams the next week, a week's half term and one more exam. Seems a bit silly, but at least it's over and done with eh?

1) I've already put my name down and will be paying on the 24th of March (this thursday) to re-sit my BUSS1 exam. How much do you think I should revise for this exam, on top of my BUSS2 exam and with my other exams?

As much as possible really - you don't want to have to take it again. I think the right attitude is to go at all of them as if you don't have the opportunity for retakes - then hopefully you'll do your best first time round.

2) Considering the fact that I will be dropping an AS next year and keeping 3 A2's, I also thought of the possibility of picking up an extra AS in Government & Politics. Please tell me what you think of this move and whether or not I should keep 3 A2's and an AS or the latter?

I'd say there's really no point in adding in an extra AS - your universities will only consider the three A2s in your grade offer (usually). You're just putting yourself under extra strain. Probably best to wait and do some extra at/after uni than put on pressure in your last year at school that's really important.

Sorry can't give any specific advice for law - not my area. I think with the what to give up thing - if you're really not sure go on the grades. See how you get on in the summer. The universities care about the grades, and if you're going to get an A in one and a B in the other, surely it's wise to go for the A subject? Just a thought.
Reply 5
drop english lit
Original post by gchaggar75
drop english lit

The OP wants to study Law, dropping English Lit would hardly be prudent. :dry:
Original post by cchanuk
Same, I think this is the nature of the session... I have M1 one week, 5 exams the next week, a week's half term and one more exam. Seems a bit silly, but at least it's over and done with eh?

As much as possible really - you don't want to have to take it again. I think the right attitude is to go at all of them as if you don't have the opportunity for retakes - then hopefully you'll do your best first time round.

I'd say there's really no point in adding in an extra AS - your universities will only consider the three A2s in your grade offer (usually). You're just putting yourself under extra strain. Probably best to wait and do some extra at/after uni than put on pressure in your last year at school that's really important.

Sorry can't give any specific advice for law - not my area. I think with the what to give up thing - if you're really not sure go on the grades. See how you get on in the summer. The universities care about the grades, and if you're going to get an A in one and a B in the other, surely it's wise to go for the A subject? Just a thought.

Yes, well, thanks for the advice. I see where you're coming from. We'll just have to wait and see then.
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
The OP wants to study Law, dropping English Lit would hardly be prudent. :dry:

I see from your AS Predictions, you're up for 5 Grade A's. Can I ask whether you're doing AQA English Lit?
I see from your AS Predictions, you're up for 5 Grade A's. Can I ask whether you're doing AQA English Lit?

Yes, I'm on AQA for that examination. Why so? :smile:
Yes, I'm on AQA for that examination. Why so? :smile:

Oh, no, I was just going to ask you whether you're studying for the Unit 1B - World War One Literature. And also, what are your courseworks based on? And how much wider reading have you done so far?
(edited 13 years ago)
Oh, no, I was just going to ask you whether you're studying for the Unit 1B - World War One Literature. And also, what are your courseworks based on? And how much wider reading have you done so far?

It seems that my scheme of work is different. My courseworks were based on metaphysics/tragedy, mainly. Regarding further reading, I was given the A2 further reading list for my sixth form in November, so have been progressing through that, as well as other books that catch my interest. Yourself?
It seems that my scheme of work is different. My courseworks were based on metaphysics/tragedy, mainly. Regarding further reading, I was given the A2 further reading list for my sixth form in November, so have been progressing through that, as well as other books that catch my interest. Yourself?

Right, sure, I see what you mean. Your courseworks were based on metaphysics/tragedy - which topic does that come under? And are you with the AQA Exam board or Edexcel? Also, okay, good. What will your exam in May/June be on? Also, what grade did you achieve in your AS English Lit, along with your other courses if you don't mind me asking?

Well, I am an AS student at the moment. I'm studying the Unit 1B - World War One Literature, as I've stated above. My courseworks were based on 'Regeneration' by Pat Barker and 'Journey's End' which was a comparative piece. The final draft shall be handed in next Friday. Have you read these texts?
Reply 13

Hi there,

I'll tell you a few of my issues as succinctly as possible.

Firstly, I am studying 4 AS's at the moment in English Literature, Law, Drama & Theatre Studies, and Business Studies (All of which are in AQA apart from Drama which is edexcel).

Well, I did okay for my January exams. I got an A in Law Unit 2 and a C in Business Studies Unit 1, though I was 1 mark away from a B and 5 away from an A grade - which sort of p****s me off!

Also, my most important questions I'd like to ask are the following:

3) I would like to study Law at University, and although most universities tend to prefer applicants without actually studying Law at A Level, how likely am I to be accepted in the top universities, such as Queen Mary or York/Exeter? Also, relating to universities - I was looking at a few league tables on Law Schools in the country, found in the Guardian and a few other sites, and noticed that Queen Mary (for Law) comes in at 3rd, behind Oxford and Cambridge? But how would employers look at it - would they look at the university I went to or would they consider the law school itself?

4) I'd like to drop either Drama or Business at the end of this year, and am interested in picking up Gov & Pols As during my A2's. I am already aware of the fact that A2' s are a lot harder, and I'll be putting myself in a more pressurised position if I do pick up the Gov & Pols AS, but what do you think realistically? Should I pick it up or should I just carry on with my A2's and the AS that I will have?

Thank you for all the helpful answers.

P.S

Here is the Guardian page I was speaking about: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2010/jun/04/university-guide-law

If anything, i would advice dropping drama & picking up Govt & Politics. Im not telling you to drop Drama because its seen as a soft subject but for the reason that it has no contribution to what you want to study at Uni.

You won't regret picking up Government & Politics AS as I am also taking it now alongside my A2 law & other courses. You will be amazed about how picking up Govt & Politics will significantly help with Law itself as in my case.
Right, sure, I see what you mean. Your courseworks were based on metaphysics/tragedy - which topic does that come under? And are you with the AQA Exam board or Edexcel? Also, okay, good. What will your exam in May/June be on? Also, what grade did you achieve in your AS English Lit, along with your other courses if you don't mind me asking?

Well, I am an AS student at the moment. I'm studying the Unit 1B - World War One Literature, as I've stated above. My courseworks were based on 'Regeneration' by Pat Barker and 'Journey's End' which was a comparative piece. The final draft shall be handed in next Friday. Have you read these texts?

It comes under "Aspects of Narrative" - (I think). Like I said previously, I'm on the AQA examining board. You may have also misread my current level of study; I'm an AS student. :tongue: (I was given the A2 further reading list in advance to make sure I never got complacent/bored with my AS literature.)
It comes under "Aspects of Narrative" - (I think). Like I said previously, I'm on the AQA examining board. You may have also misread my current level of study; I'm an AS student. :tongue: (I was given the A2 further reading list in advance to make sure I never got complacent/bored with my AS literature.)

Sorry guys for the late reply, but okay, I see what you mean. I just recently handed in a final piece of coursework for 'Regeneration', a WWI novel, ever heard of it?
Original post by *Hakz*
If anything, i would advice dropping drama & picking up Govt & Politics. Im not telling you to drop Drama because its seen as a soft subject but for the reason that it has no contribution to what you want to study at Uni.

You won't regret picking up Government & Politics AS as I am also taking it now alongside my A2 law & other courses. You will be amazed about how picking up Govt & Politics will significantly help with Law itself as in my case.

Right, well thanks. However, I am still thinking of my options for A2 and will come to a firm decision in the summer holidays. I might stick with 3 A2s or might pick up an extra AS along with my 3 A2s. Not completely sure as of yet, but we'll just have to wait and see.
Reply 17
Yeah I understand where you're coming from.

Most people tend to pick up for AS level at the start of college/6th form and then continue with 3 A2 in 2nd year. Its d same in my case but aswell but I am currently doing two A2's and two AS's as I have completed my Economics course last year.

So yeah you should do 3 A2s alongside 1 AS.

Hope you make the right choice :biggrin:
Original post by gchaggar75
drop english lit

UMM NO OP DO NOT DROP ENGLISH. he wants to study law, english lit is a very desired A level for law. Along with the rest of the humanties.
Original post by mclovin123
UMM NO OP DO NOT DROP ENGLISH. he wants to study law, english lit is a very desired A level for law. Along with the rest of the humanties.

I would personally prefer hanging on to English Lit, but I sometimes feel that it would not help my applications. I may get a B grade because that's what I've been predicted throughout the year, and I'm trying to get the A grade.

My courseworks have been marked by my teachers who have decided to tell us after we come back from the easter break, which is tomorrow.

I was wondering, whether anyone can provide me with some tips for the English exam itself?

P.S

Also, if I took Law with Business Studies and Drama, would that be sufficient enough to aid my applications for Law at university, and why? I'd appreciate any feedback.

Quick Reply

Latest