The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by und
Let me expand on my original post then. If I choose Chemistry A level, I will be doing it alongside Maths, Further Maths, and Physics. Currently, I find those subjects (at GCSE!), including Chemistry, far too easy. They're nowhere near challenging enough.

However, I'm also not the sort of person who enjoys spending many hours at home learning facts. I prefer figuring out how things work, and applying logic rather than regurgitating facts that I have been taught. In that sense, I think very much like a mathematician.

I hope that gives people a clearer grounding upon which to base their answers.

Thanks

Think about the hardness of GCSE, got it?
Times it be a million, yeah? with me so far?
THEN TIMES IT BY ANOTHER TRILLION AND YOU GET f****ng hard!!!!
Look, its not hard;
-If you like chemistry and will work hard, then the work will seem easier because you enjoy it.
-If you don't like chemistry and are not willing to give it your all, the work will seem difficult and boring.
If you put the effort in and like it, then AS wont be as hard as it could be. A2 will be significantly easier aswell.

I hated chemistry all through AS and managed to get a low C. This year at A2, I love chemsitry and really enjoy it and rettok an exam and got my AS result up to a high B and im going on to get a B this year at the end of A2.

Its what you make it really :smile:

BTW, I did Physics AS and found chemistry a lot harder, mainly because my heart wasn't in Chemistry. Now Chemistry is easier than Physics :P
Original post by und
Really? Physics is just the sort of subject I'm looking forward to, so that I can leave GCSE behind me :smile:.

Yeah, you get to the big-boy stuff in Physics in AS. You get to learn about Quantum Physics, which blows your mind. Then at A2, you do a lot of stuff on Fields (electric and magnetic) and how they interact with themselves and one another, you do some Particle Physics, Cosmology, Astrophysics...

You do what you've done before, except this time, you do it right. :smile:
Original post by WelshBluebird
lol. I found Physics the easiest and most interesting out of my A levels.

Care to tutor me?
Original post by mobius323
Yeah, you get to the big-boy stuff in Physics in AS. You get to learn about Quantum Physics, which blows your mind. Then at A2, you do a lot of stuff on Fields (electric and magnetic) and how they interact with themselves and one another, you do some Particle Physics, Cosmology, Astrophysics...

You do what you've done before, except this time, you do it right. :smile:

I agree :smile:
Original post by mobius323
Care to tutor me?

lol, I can't really remember any of it!
My memory is useless anyway, so someone I haven't even looked at for 3 years - I have no chance!
I think my Physics teacher helped a lot though. She was pretty awesome, and easily one of the best teachers I ever had in school / sixth form :smile:.
Reply 47
yes. Chemistry is hard. I went from being A* at GCSE to D at AS (then to B, with a hell of a lot of work!)
Personal experiene though, for you it might be easy! :]
Original post by WelshBluebird
lol, I can't really remember any of it!
My memory is useless anyway, so someone I haven't even looked at for 3 years - I have no chance!
I think my Physics teacher helped a lot though. She was pretty awesome, and easily one of the best teachers I ever had in school / sixth form :smile:.

To be honest, I wouldn't even know where to start. Let's just say my attendance this year has been pretty poor, so I'm basically looking to go over the whole Edexcel A2 course in a year. And do Unit 1, which is Materials and Mechanics and I'm awful at Materials - it's just so boring.
Reply 49
How i found it;

GCSE------------------------------------>AS Level---->A2 Level.
Its all down to how you adjust to the jump between GCSE and As. Personally I didn't adjust well so I got **** grades but managed to pull them back up when I adjusted.
Original post by j.alexanderh
Well, judge for yourself by having a look at this website (which, by the way, is the only good teaching/revision website for any subject which I am aware of other than thephysicsclassroom): http://www.chemguide.co.uk/.

I was considering taking chemistry for A level, and I learned most of the atoms and bonding stuff a few months ago before deciding that I wanted to take music instead. It didn't strike me as very difficult, but I gather that the hard part is organic chemistry, which I despise.

I LIVED on that website when I was doing Chemistry... and I still sucked.

I don't think GCSE double science adequately prepares you for Chemistry. Or at least it didn't for me and that was with additional reading before I started Chemistry.
I got 2 As in Science, both a couple of marks from A*s and I ended up with an E at AS Chem and I've honestly never worked so hard! Guess I just don't have the aptitude for higher level science! :redface:
Reply 52
From my experience, it's very different to other A levels as it's just generally a massive memory test in terms of reactions (reactants/conditions/mechanisms). That does make it more annoying that other A levels to revise, but does not necessarily if memory is your strong point :smile:.
Reply 53
Original post by diamonddust

Original post by diamonddust
I LIVED on that website when I was doing Chemistry... and I still sucked.

I don't think GCSE double science adequately prepares you for Chemistry. Or at least it didn't for me and that was with additional reading before I started Chemistry.
I got 2 As in Science, both a couple of marks from A*s and I ended up with an E at AS Chem and I've honestly never worked so hard! Guess I just don't have the aptitude for higher level science! :redface:

Well, I'm doing Triple Science, and have got 100 UMS so far in core modules, and 100/100/95 in my ISAs (the 95 was in Biology, which I kind of fail at) - not that Triple Science is a lot more difficult than Double Award; there's just more content.

Which part of Chemistry is the massive gap between GCSE and A level mainly in?

Edit: And so far I have received the impression that people who might not necessarily excel at Chemistry are drawn into doing it by inflated GCSE grades. Is this true?
(edited 13 years ago)
Yes quite hard, but it can be done. The good thing is if you happen to be on edexcel, they ISA's they provide do push your grade up incase you slip on the others. But like any other subject, just revise, stay organised and ask the teachers for help! then you shud be fine
Original post by felt_monkey
Hard core biology there :p:

lol, my bad :colondollar:
Reply 56
Original post by MrMoonmunch

Original post by MrMoonmunch
Yes quite hard, but it can be done. The good thing is if you happen to be on edexcel, they ISA's they provide do push your grade up incase you slip on the others. But like any other subject, just revise, stay organised and ask the teachers for help! then you shud be fine

Weirdly, my school has chosen Edexcel for Chemistry in contrast to AQA for Physics and Biology, based on the premise that it 'leads on better from [my school's] GCSE Chemistry course'. Odd, quite frankly, considering the GCSE course is AQA.
Chemistry is tricky but grade boundaries play a part eh, chemistry gcse exam to get an A* you have to pass 67% approx to get an A in chem ( not even an A*) you need to pass 78%
Reply 58
Original post by und
Well, I'm doing Triple Science, and have got 100 UMS so far in core modules, and 100/100/95 in my ISAs (the 95 was in Biology, which I kind of fail at) - not that Triple Science is a lot more difficult than Double Award; there's just more content.

Which part of Chemistry is the massive gap between GCSE and A level mainly in?

Edit: And so far I have received the impression that people who might not necessarily excel at Chemistry are drawn into doing it by inflated GCSE grades. Is this true?

Everything from GCSE to AS is a massive gap, so chemistry is not alone. Just work from the start, no messing around, all I can say really.

i'm doing Salters (OCR B) chemistry, the hardest chemistry course for A level, and it's by no means difficult- if you put the work in (and buy a revision guide!-
Original post by und
Some people I've met seem to find Chemistry very difficult, and say it's their most difficult A level by far.

I know it's probably a lot harder than GCSE Chemistry (though to be honest you don't really need to understand Chemistry to do well at GCSE level), but as long as you think logically, and apply yourself in lessons, is the workload greater than Modern Foreign Languages, or Physics, for example?

I would simply like to attain a better understanding of A levels so that I can base my decision to change them or keep them as they are upon facts rather than superficial, anecdotal evidence.

Thanks

Yes its hard and probably the hardest A level, but if you're good at memorizing and regurgitating stuff then you should be fine.

Edit - If not then stay away.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending