The Student Room Group

Passive smoking?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You are obviously a massive hypochondriac, but no worries it's not your fault.

When the government, education and the media grind the idea into you that a little bit of passive smoke will kill you you'll start to feel psychosomatic symptoms. The placebo effect basically.
Reply 21
Non piangere e solo fumi :P. Sorry my italian isn't as good as it used to be. That is one thing i loved about going to Italy, everyone smoked hehe
Yeah it won't affect you over a short period of time.
Reply 23
Original post by Samrout
the smoke your friends breaths out is not harmful. The smoke coming from the end of the cigarette/cigar/blunt is where the harmful smoke is, but you'd have to be constantly inhaling it (which is something not even a smoker would do) in order to feel negative effects.

Sorry?
Original post by Elf.
Yeah he's my boss... Sigh :\ ah well. Everyone smokes like chimneys over here :s not really my scene... Nevermind...

Yeah you've got no chance of stopping it tbh. Especially as he's employing you!
But surely this was mentioned before you took the job??
I've got asthma, I smoke like one of these so called chimneys over here.
I think you are psyching yourself out a bit, especially with the loss of sense of smell and things.
Plus cigarettes, etc. are so cheap here - everyone seems to smoke.
It shouldn't harm you horrendously.
Reply 25
Original post by JunePlum
I've been in an environment like that once. It seriously irritated my sinuses.
At times, I sneezed and coughed a lot although I couldn't smell the cigar....
But I could bet that the passive smoke was there.

Passive smoke affects people in different ways.
May I ask.... How long have you been exposed to it?

Just a week so far.. Staying 3 months though...
Reply 26
Original post by Stefan1991
You are obviously a massive hypochondriac, but no worries it's not your fault.

When the government, education and the media grind the idea into you that a little bit of passive smoke will kill you you'll start to feel psychosomatic symptoms. The placebo effect basically.

Yeah it's probably just feeling **** anyway. Feel sick and stuff but probably unrelated to the smoke... Haha psychosomatic I have a feeling I've only ever heard that word in a prodigy song...
Reply 27
Original post by PapaShmurff
Yeah it won't affect you over a short period of time.

Three months?
Okay thanks.

I feel kinda sorry for kids who grow up in households with chain smokers though, must have damaging effects really.
Original post by Elf.

I'm au pairing.

Sounds sexy.
Reply 29
Original post by Pinball_heart
Yeah you've got no chance of stopping it tbh. Especially as he's employing you!
But surely this was mentioned before you took the job??
I've got asthma, I smoke like one of these so called chimneys over here.
I think you are psyching yourself out a bit, especially with the loss of sense of smell and things.
Plus cigarettes, etc. are so cheap here - everyone seems to smoke.
It shouldn't harm you horrendously.

Okay cool thanks everyone :wink:
No it wasn't mentioned before I took the job, sighhhh.
Reply 30
Original post by Drunk Punx
Sounds sexy.

French in general does :tongue:
They speak both here :redface: so jealous of these multilingual kids...
Reply 31
Original post by Elf.
I'm working away from home in a live in job. Here's the thing: one of the people I work for chain smokes cigars all day. Could this be having a very bad effect on my health from the passive smoke? How do I counter act the effects because I really want to stick this out? I don't really know much about the effects of passive smoking only actual smoking... Any help?

It's given me a realy sore throat so far not sure whether this is from the passive smoke or just cos I have a cold or something...
Sorry if this sounds massively hypochondriac ish. :rolleyes:

Hey Elf

The sore throat could well be from the cigar smoke. I used to work in a bar before the smoking ban here and sometimes the members started smoking cigars... I usually had a sore throat the next day. I hate the smell of cigar smoke, I don't know how you put up with it!

The smoke will damage your health, there are lots of nasty chemicals in it (like any smoke). The good thing is that the damage to your lungs will be reversible if you are only inhaling it for 3 months, so don't worry too much about it . The only 'long term' effect would be a very slightly increased risk of cancer, but then a lot of things can do that anyway even if you are outdoors (pollution etc.)
You will be fine, second hand smoke is massively overblown. If you live in a big city, pollution from vehicles poses a far greater threat to your health than being around a little second hand smoke every now and then.
Reply 33
Original post by Kinkerz
Sorry?

the smoke that is exhaled is not harmful.
Original post by Elf.
Three months?
Okay thanks.

I feel kinda sorry for kids who grow up in households with chain smokers though, must have damaging effects really.

I've grown up with two parents smoking constantly, it's probably had an effect but you don't notice really
Reply 35
Original post by Samrout
the smoke that is exhaled is not harmful.

Yes it is.
Reply 36
Original post by LeeC
Hey Elf

The sore throat could well be from the cigar smoke. I used to work in a bar before the smoking ban here and sometimes the members started smoking cigars... I usually had a sore throat the next day. I hate the smell of cigar smoke, I don't know how you put up with it!

The smoke will damage your health, there are lots of nasty chemicals in it (like any smoke). The good thing is that the damage to your lungs will be reversible if you are only inhaling it for 3 months, so don't worry too much about it . The only 'long term' effect would be a very slightly increased risk of cancer, but then a lot of things can do that anyway even if you are outdoors (pollution etc.)

Thank you, your answer was helpful :smile:
Mixed responses here guys!!
I'm sure Im just being pretty self centred but hey.
Reply 37
Original post by PapaShmurff
I've grown up with two parents smoking constantly, it's probably had an effect but you don't notice really

You will probably notice it if you ever get lung cancer.
Just take a blunt into work and show them how its done!

also, blaze this tune as well as the kush!

they'll be so embarrassed they'll never take cigarettes to work again in case you show them up!
Reply 39
Original post by Kinkerz
Yes it is.

nah u lyin'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending