The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by Normandy114
It's truely terrible, I got the CGP revision one for the exams. Also, a word of warning, the A2 one is just as bad. :rolleyes:

its actually dire, plus one of my chemistry teachers (i had 3) just got fired, which was a bit unsettling - but i dont really mind, our replacement is so so sooo much better.

i bought a completely different textbook (but still edexcel) and revision book, and now i feel back on track.
Reply 321
Original post by Stegosaurus
they way I understand it, the order of preferece goes:

Edinburgh area > rest of Scotland > the North-East > rest of England

I live in West Yorkshire, so not far enough North (as far as I know - I don't know how far their 'Northern' area of England stretches) to get any geographical brownie points, so you'd be no more disadvantaged than me :smile:

really annoyed me when i found out cause i loved the look of the course - but if i get a high UKCAT perhaps i'll take that chance

i might apply to st andrews/glasgow/aberdeen too :smile:
Reply 322
am i the only who's really happy now i get to post in one of these types of threads, and not just lurk about in the shadows? :biggrin:
Original post by laurie:)
really annoyed me when i found out cause i loved the look of the course - but if i get a high UKCAT perhaps i'll take that chance

i might apply to st andrews/glasgow/aberdeen too :smile:

No, I know exactly what you mean :smile:
am i the only who's really happy now i get to post in one of these types of threads, and not just lurk about in the shadows? :biggrin:

Definitely not the only one, I'm loving being able to actually discuss the process with others in the same position.

Oh nice, we have a thread. I'm doing Biology, chemistry, maths and psychology, dropping psychology in the summer. Already done most of my AS's (results in sig), so I'll be doing a couple resits in the summer aiming for all A's. How it everyone doing work experience/volunteering wise? I've done some doctor shadowing and just starting volunteering at a charity shop, and I'm going to ask my GP for some work experience next chance I get.

I did the same subjects for AS, but I got ABBC with the C in psychology and the A in maths. Volunteering can be easy to get, ask your school if they have links, if not if you have a doctor that you know ask him, you can get a month overall pretty easily, I got 5 weeks overall, my work experience was enough it was just my grades that made me get rejected.

AHAH ! :biggrin: Your defo not the only one :tongue: ,, better than just reading :colondollar:
Reply 327
Original post by cz100
I started wanting to do medicine when my mum got pregnant with my brother (that was only 3 and a half years ago). Following the development of life really fascinated me, and then my brother was always in and out of hospital (he had really bad eczema on his face since birth and got infections from them, it scary watching a tiny thing only a few weeks old with pus like stuff oozing out all over his face) so I was in and out of hospital a lot too and I found that I'd quite like the responsibilities and being able to treat people like a doctor. That's one big reason and I don't want to list all the others here now because it'll turn into a big essay.
Sorry if all that sounds quite corny.
Do you have any particular reasons?

That's really interesting! :smile:

I have always wanted to work with children by helping them and their families, rather than working in a nursery baby sitting etc. I wanted to mix my academic abilities to help sick children basically!
I want to do medicine because it is a medical degree is a good safety net, should I fail in my primary pursuits
Original post by jam277
I did the same subjects for AS, but I got ABBC with the C in psychology and the A in maths. Volunteering can be easy to get, ask your school if they have links, if not if you have a doctor that you know ask him, you can get a month overall pretty easily, I got 5 weeks overall, my work experience was enough it was just my grades that made me get rejected.

Unlucky, where did you apply and what was your ukcat/bmat like? I'm building up my work experience portfolio slowly, already got 1 week of consultant/F1 shadowing (even shadowed medical students at one point :rolleyes:) and I start charity shop volunteering this weekend. Will be attempting to get some summer work experience at local GPs so I have evidence of seeing medical jobs in a variety of areas. Should try to get some volunteering at a care home at some point too, I read that it helps a lot.
Original post by jam277

Really? You got 5 weeks easily :O I found it so hard to get experience! I ended up going to Swansea for a week with my uncles girlfriends brother who i'd never met before just to get some experience! guess it'll depend on where you live
Original post by SteveCrain
I want to do medicine because it is a medical degree is a good safety net, should I fail in my primary pursuits

Sorry, what exactly do you mean by that?
see, i think i'd be happy anywhere as long as i did medicine, but i just love kings! i mean, it wouldnt be the end of the world if i didnt get in, but it would be nice :smile: accomodation is a bit iffy though, i dont fancy living at home during uni.

how many open days did you go to? i want to try and go to an open day for every uni i apply to, but some might be in scotland and its kinda expensive to get up there :/

All of them except Barts coz i'd already seen it a few times with taster courses and university fairs. And with Barts they do post offer open days, which i've got a place on :smile:
Honestly i'd try to see them all, especially the ones in scotland, how hellish would it be to get there and hate it? That far from home. Try getting a flight rather than a train, by the time you factor in the cost of somewhere to stay the night coz you wont be able to do both directions and the actually open day in a single day, flying might actually be cheaper. Me mate applied for one up there and flew both ways, worked out cheaper for her. Get going looking for them soon, I completely missed the start and really had to search for places!
Reply 333
Original post by Andrew Mooney
Hi there

For your work experience, did you approach the ward/department directly, or did you go through the hospital voluntary services people? The day you spent in radiography must have been really good experience.

Yea radiography was really good, one a patient thought I was a nurse and started asking me questions. It was a placement given to my school by Charter and I got it by lucky dip:smile:
But volunteering was applied through the health trust volunteer service
Original post by Stegosaurus
Sorry, what exactly do you mean by that?

As of yet, Stegg, nobody can tell.
Original post by SteveCrain
As of yet, Stegg, nobody can tell.

I approve of this nickname! :biggrin:

In other news, people post so fast in this thread! It's rather difficult to keep up with at times, especially when my English coursework is distracting me from it!
Lots of old names on this thread!
Original post by Anterior view
Lots of old names on this thread!

Hello!
I know of you from the Aberdeen thread :tongue:
I'm not a creep, promise :colone:

But did you get all rejections aswell then? :redface:
Yay for Biology/Chemistry/Physics/Maths/History!! <3
Original post by atomos
Hello!
I know of you from the Aberdeen thread :tongue:
I'm not a creep, promise :colone:

But did you get all rejections aswell then? :redface:

Yeh it's a real bummer. Giving it one more try though:smile: will be laying low though got loads of cramming for AHs the last two months have been crazy. I've done next to nothing!
(edited 13 years ago)