The Student Room Group

Is it possible to learn AS+A2 Maths in 6 months??

Hi all,

I've recently been accepted onto a 5 year scheme with Lancaster University studying for a BSc/MPhys Physics. The scheme consists of 2 years part time study (with equate to 'year 1') followed by 2-3 years full time studying depending on if i qualify for the masters degree.

I acieved a GCSE grade A in Mathematics, however did not study A-levels. I am wondering if it would be possible for me to learn A-level Maths in 6 months, prior to the start of my course. As far as I'm aware the first 6 months of the course recaps on A-level Maths, however I want to gain as much of a head start as possible.

I have purchased CGP revision books in GCSE, AS & A2 maths as well as the OCR text books on C1, C2, C3, C4, S1 & M1 (Primarily I want to learn C1-4) & intend on seeking private tuition for at least 1 hour per week.

I work 3.5 days per week (12 hour shifts) and have no other commitments.

As stated above my question is, with a lot of time & commitment is it possible for me to learn AS+A2 Mathematics to a standard which will put me in good stead for Year 1 Physics?

Thanks,
Sean

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bleak Lemming
Hi all,

I've recently been accepted onto a 5 year scheme with Lancaster University studying for a BSc/MPhys Physics. The scheme consists of 2 years part time study (with equate to 'year 1') followed by 2-3 years full time studying depending on if i qualify for the masters degree.

I acieved a GCSE grade A in Mathematics, however did not study A-levels. I am wondering if it would be possible for me to learn A-level Maths in 6 months, prior to the start of my course. As far as I'm aware the first 6 months of the course recaps on A-level Maths, however I want to gain as much of a head start as possible.

I have purchased CGP revision books in GCSE, AS & A2 maths as well as the OCR text books on C1, C2, C3, C4, S1 & M1 (Primarily I want to learn C1-4) & intend on seeking private tuition for at least 1 hour per week.

As stated above my question is, with a lot of time & commitment is it possible for me to learn AS+A2 Mathematics to a standard which will put me in good stead for Year 1 Physics?

Thanks,
Sean

AS maths will be doable (assuming you're remotely good at maths), but c3 and c4 require a lot of dedication if you want an A*. S1,M1,C1,C2,C3,C4 can definitely be done.
Reply 2
Hi there,

It will definitely involve a lot of hard work, but if you are dedicated enough you should be able to do it. Have I understood your situation correctly by saying you will not be sitting an exam for this? If so that means you can probably afford to miss out some of the less relevant chapters. As you are doing physics I would suggest not looking to heavily into stats and focus more on the rest. Presumably you studied physics at a-level so you have a rough idea of what sort of level your maths needs to be at.
Original post by Extricated
AS maths will be doable (assuming you're remotely good at maths), but c3 and c4 require a lot of dedication if you want an A*. S1,M1,C1,C2,C3,C4 can definitely be done.

Thanks,
I'm not looking to achieve a good grade as there's no exam. I'm only studying it in preperation for my uni course (as a-level maths is usually a requirement)
Original post by Ben121
Hi there,

It will definitely involve a lot of hard work, but if you are dedicated enough you should be able to do it. Have I understood your situation correctly by saying you will not be sitting an exam for this? If so that means you can probably afford to miss out some of the less relevant chapters. As you are doing physics I would suggest not looking to heavily into stats and focus more on the rest. Presumably you studied physics at a-level so you have a rough idea of what sort of level your maths needs to be at.

Yeah you're correct in assuming that I don't have an exam, it's just a matter of trying to learn as much of it as possible to prepare for what's to come

Year 1 of the 2 years part time study consists of Maths only.. and no physics (Year 2 consists of physics & practical). So I think you're right in saying to focus on C1-4 + M1. C1-4 is my priority, as M1+ is focused on in the second year of part time study.
Reply 5
Hi all,

Thanks,
Sean

Hi, I hope I can be of help to you. I am currently studying chemistry at university and I did not take A levels maths at all, but my Uni provides a unit where we are taught all the maths we need to know for our degree( very intense course). I think the best thing is contact your department and ask them what parts of A levels maths are required and that way you can focus on the maths that you need. In terms of the time scale you have given your self, It's definately doable I understand your only work a few hours per day with no other commitments so yes if you put the hard work in it should be ok. Also i got an A at gsce and I am finding maths fine... it's just practicing until you get the hang of it so you should be okay hopefully. Lastly a good tip I have found is if i don't understand something i usually go on youtube and there are loads of really good videos.. a tip to bear in mind if you get stuck! hope that helps ..:biggrin:
Original post by joytosee
Hi, I hope I can be of help to you. I am currently studying chemistry at university and I did not take A levels maths at all, but my Uni provides a unit where we are taught all the maths we need to know for our degree( very intense course). I think the best thing is contact your department and ask them what parts of A levels maths are required and that way you can focus on the maths that you need. In terms of the time scale you have given your self, It's definately doable I understand your only work a few hours per day with no other commitments so yes if you put the hard work in it should be ok. Also i got an A at gsce and I am finding maths fine... it's just practicing until you get the hang of it so you should be okay hopefully. Lastly a good tip I have found is if i don't understand something i usually go on youtube and there are loads of really good videos.. a tip to bear in mind if you get stuck! hope that helps ..:biggrin:

That's great thanks! I work 12 hours, but only 3.5 days / week ;D

Like i say I've spent a fortune on all of the OCR C1-4 M1 & S1 text books which are rammed with questions & answers so that I can get plenty practice. Hopefully a private tutor will get back to me and guide me in the right path (i've emailed a few and nobody has got back!)

The youtube tip is great, I'll keep that in mind!! It's good to see that I'm not the only one in my situation :P

Cheers!
Reply 7
That's great thanks! I work 12 hours, but only 3.5 days / week ;D

Like i say I've spent a fortune on all of the OCR C1-4 M1 & S1 text books which are rammed with questions & answers so that I can get plenty practice. Hopefully a private tutor will get back to me and guide me in the right path (i've emailed a few and nobody has got back!)

The youtube tip is great, I'll keep that in mind!! It's good to see that I'm not the only one in my situation :P

Cheers!

No problem I remember how nervous I was about maths! Ohh i see you work 3.5 days a week but no problem you will be fine!... Youtube has been like my teacher for these last few months:P Good luck and if you need any more help or advice just ask and I'll try and help as much as I can:biggrin:
Reply 8
I did the As maths in about 4 weeks and im doin A2 now its not that hard possibly take you longer since you only achieved an A in gcse and you have work to attend, Id definetly say is easily doable im doing mine in the span of about 8 months but thats cause i have the option too lool and my school lets me . :smile:
nice one
no
Reply 11
I don't see why not. For most people the hardest part is prolly sticking to a study schedule, rather than the maths itself.
Reply 12
As most other people have said yes. I would recommend one of the older Bostock and Chandler books - I have 'Core Maths for Advanced Level' although apparently 'Mathematics - the Core Course' is even better. You said you already had the OCR books, but (bearing in mind I've only had experience of exam board books in general), this well help you grasp and understand the ideas, rather than just rote-learning them. It's not too expensive either - I'm seeing a second-hand copy of 'the Core Course' for 1p + £2.70 postage on Amazon! I've learnt most of C1 to C4 apart from the more advanced integration in about 6 weeks, and although I've always found it easy to pick up new concepts in Maths you should be able to in 6 months! If there are any concepts you struggle with, try some of the videos from Khan Academy (more specific than just the YouTube someone else suggested) - they help you understand concepts (such as the chain rule) without memorising formula.
Reply 13
Hi all,

Thanks,
Sean

This will help so, so, much. :smile:

http://www.examsolutions.co.uk/A-Level-maths-tutorials/index.php
(edited 13 years ago)
Heck you can do it in a week, if your willing to limit yourself to 6 hours sleep, and the occasional toilet break. :smile:

Just stock up on redbull. Sorted. :smile:
Easily possible to do 6 modules in 6 months. I'm doing f.maths too and doing all A-level modules + some more this year (doing additional f.maths too). Having to speed through each module though, but I'm still getting more than 65/75 in the past papers.
Reply 16
Yeah it's definitely doable, my uni course covered all of AS and A2 maths in under 6 months, about 5 hours a week altogether.. Doable, but tough.
Possible? - yes.
Easy? - no.
after reading your post, its clear that you are dedicated, as long as you work hard + a little natural mathematical ability then you shoud do fine, some modules like s1, c1 are a breeze
Original post by hrickards
As most other people have said yes. I would recommend one of the older Bostock and Chandler books - I have 'Core Maths for Advanced Level' although apparently 'Mathematics - the Core Course' is even better. You said you already had the OCR books, but (bearing in mind I've only had experience of exam board books in general), this well help you grasp and understand the ideas, rather than just rote-learning them. It's not too expensive either - I'm seeing a second-hand copy of 'the Core Course' for 1p + £2.70 postage on Amazon! I've learnt most of C1 to C4 apart from the more advanced integration in about 6 weeks, and although I've always found it easy to pick up new concepts in Maths you should be able to in 6 months! If there are any concepts you struggle with, try some of the videos from Khan Academy (more specific than just the YouTube someone else suggested) - they help you understand concepts (such as the chain rule) without memorising formula.

Thank you sooo much! This is such a useful resource, no doubt it will see me through the rest of my studies!!

Original post by MostCompetitive
Easily possible to do 6 modules in 6 months. I'm doing f.maths too and doing all A-level modules + some more this year (doing additional f.maths too). Having to speed through each module though, but I'm still getting more than 65/75 in the past papers.

That's pretty good! F. Maths looks intense... Like I say thankfully I don't have an exam at the end of it, I just need to understand it or else I won't have a clue at the start of my course!

Original post by Huskaris
Yeah it's definitely doable, my uni course covered all of AS and A2 maths in under 6 months, about 5 hours a week altogether.. Doable, but tough.

What course do you do at university?

Quick Reply

Latest