The Student Room Group

Girls who try so hard to be a lad. Why?

Seriously, why do girls, whether it be on facebook, via text messaging or in person, now often use male sayings such as lad, man, dude, brother.

Why do you use such sayings?

Don't you think its manly to say ' hey man, i'll catch you later because im off out. Speak later dude' I get this off girls all the time on facebook and its an instant turn off. It usually leads to the instant 'remove from friends' moment!

Women call each other their bitches or whatever else they say. If I were to say 'hey bitch, you okay?' you'd be livid with it! so why do you now all of a sudden think you're a bunch of Jessie J's who can 'do it like a dude'?

Im not even trolling. I would never get with a woman who addressed me as lad, ever! just as I would expect a girl never to get with me for addressing her as bitch!

i'll call a girl gorgeous, i'll call her beautiful, i'll call her precious, or whatever else I want to call her but the moment she says dude or lad im just like o.O

Seriously, one of the most attractive things about a woman is when she acts feminine but all I see in Britain these days 9/10 is women who want to act like men. Constantly swear, act like lads, speak like lads. What is the world coming to? We got women acting like lads and then men like Alex Reid trying to be women. FML!

Im also not against gays or lesbians or bisexuals because thats natural. If you were a man then act like a man regardless of sexuality. If you are a woman then act like a woman regardless of sexuality.

Why?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Saying dude isn't laddish. Also, do they really care if you're turned off?
Yeah, dude is OUR word :angry:
Nah you see, it ain't even like that man. I'm not tryna to be like a lad..So chill brah
I do that with my guy mates, cause I spend most of my time with them, it catches on... And my personality is kind of laddish I guess...

Though I never say stuff like that to guys I'm interested in... I have been known to refer to boyfriends as being 'the mr' in the past though. oops!
I think you are overreacting a little though...
Dude is a ladies word. If a man said dude he'd look weird.
Chill, dude.
Reply 7
What.
I say man, dude and I never say 'bitches'
Get a grip on life, man!
Reply 8
:tongue:
I refer to a lot of my male friends as 'bitches'.
They don't like it either.
Reply 9
confused how you can say only certain genders can use certain words
referring to someone as "dude" is hardly trying to be a lad
unless she's got a pint in her hand when she says it ...
You mad, brah?
Reply 11
What a lad.

In all honesty though, do you really think girls say things with the sole desire of sounding attractive to men? If you have male friends who say 'lad' a lot, it rubs off a bit and it's quite a funny saying really. Truelad.com is pretty genius.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Who says dude anyway, female, male or otherwise? uck.
They're trying to balance out all the skinny jean wearing lady rah boys :yes:
Original post by Peachykeen09
Nah you see, it ain't even like that man. I'm not tryna to be like a lad..So chill brah

I swear American people don't speak like that?

Can I just say, that the OP is criticising women for being manly, whereas his supposedly masculine username actually has one of those 'x', feminine, 'love marks' whatever you call them in. Real men don't put an 'x' in their messages.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
If someone is male, is it really wrong to call him a dude?
Reply 16
guys i don't know how to create a new forum so i'll ask my question here: i was thinking of doing tax law next year, is that a good idea? i was told that its extremely difficult - any thoughts??
Reply 17
The tiniest, most insignifanct point you could bring up in the very real fact that some girls act distastefully like men.
Cos we can do it like the mandem, mandem, mandem
They're just words....

But in terms of other behaviour, like girls who weakly try and say they love football or something, I think it might have something to do with the idea in Hollywood that the bloke falls in love with the girl who's "different to allt he others" and is strong and independant and doesn't care what people think. Apparently this means acting like a slobby boy.

But to be honest, you sound very shallow.

Quick Reply