The Student Room Group

Worst pain you've experienced?

Worst physical pain, that is. So what was it?

For me, shattering my ulna a few years ago snowboarding in Austria. Horrifically painful, though being intermittently fed drugs after finally being seen to after a few hours made it tolerable.

May sound a shock to some, though having chronic wind and a side order of food poisoning a couple of years back. I had heard people complain about how painful it was, though always took them to be melodramatics. I hope I never have that again. Between ****ting and puking violently, I thought I was going to give birth. I remember thinking how I'd kill for the pain of that ulna break at certain points...

Let's hear it. :colone:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Being hit in the head with a in-flight golf ball, never again please.
Playing cricket - Got hit in the box. The box shattered, bits of sharp plastic everywhere..... Playing cricket again, wicketkeeping someonethrew the ball into me, lost it in the sun hit me in the left eye. Umpire let me play on but two overs later ball thrown into me again, hit a ditch in the floor flew up and hit e in my right eye. Resulting in two black eyes and painfully crying myself to sleep for 2 weeks after :smile:
Reply 3
Weirdly, done lots of things that should be 'painful'. To name a few, I've broken my legs and had malaria.

But the worst was when I had the flu (I'd call it man flu, but...) at the end of last year. Felt like I was on death's door, and had to write two essays during it. :frown:
I can't really contribute anything meaningful to this thread. But I do find pain pretty interesting, have you noticed how poor our memories of pain are? I can't imagine what pain feels like until I experience it.
Dislocated my knee one night when I was 11 and was left with it dislocated for 4 hours till the oncall doctor finally arrived only for him to say there was nothing he could do for me I need a hospital. It was awful.

I've dislocated it a lot since then but I am now able to pop it back into place myself straight away so it's not as bad as sitting for hours in agony.
Baby scorpion stung my thumb when I was about 10yrs old while playing in a pile of bricks - felt like my thumb was on fire.
(edited 13 years ago)
Losing 199-200 on a COD4 domination.
Reply 8
Original post by IFondledAGibbon
I can't really contribute anything meaningful to this thread. But I do find pain pretty interesting, have you noticed how poor our memories of pain are? I can't imagine what pain feels like until I experience it.

You can't really with certain senses, it's nothing to do with memory, you can't recreate a smell etc..
An abcess in the gum under my tooth which was caused by my dentist not giving me a filling properly :frown: especially when you like to grind your teeth in your sleep :O
I think the most painful experience was when I shattered my front two teeth. I only took chips out of them, but right down to the nerve. It was so painful it hurt when I breathed, ate, drank... anything was painful. It was awful.
Reply 11
I've been lucky enough never to break any bones *frantically searches for wood to touch!*
The worst pain I've ever experienced was falling down TWO SMALL STEPS and spraining my ankle. Really badly sprained, we thought it was broken and all but it wasn't :o: it swelled up like a balloon and I couldn't put any pressure on it for literally 3 days. I had to go into school in old trainers for weeks because any other shoe i owned either wouldn't fit because of the swelling or made it hut even more.
I know it's barely scratching the surface of breaking a bone though, but I've never experienced that :o:

Being stood on my a big, chunky horse with shoes on is not the most pleasent experience either, but the ankle was defnitely a worse pain.
When I was in Primary School I got in a fight with a guy and he punched me.

I lost 3 of my teeth.. :cry: ...... It was funny and hurt... :biggrin:

Most painful experience for me was having my coil put in. Ouch! I've never really done anything that I remember (I broke my arm in three places but went into shock and don't really remember having any pain).

However, I did work at a paintball field for a while, so I saw people shot in the throat, in the 'special area', I saw people with dislocated joints (to this day I have no idea how he did it), the whole works.
A twisted testicle...that and after the operation I had to have. Makes me wince with pain now :frown:
Original post by philistine
Worst physical pain, that is. So what was it?

For me, shattering my ulna a few years ago snowboarding in Austria. Horrifically painful, though being intermittently fed drugs after finally being seen to after a few hours made it tolerable.

May sound a shock to some, though having chronic wind and a side order of food poisoning a couple of years back. I had heard people complain about how painful it was, though always took them to be melodramatics. I hope I never have that again. Between ****ting and puking violently, I thought I was going to give birth. I remember thinking how I'd kill for the pain of that ulna break at certain points...

Let's hear it. :colone:

I couldn't help but notice your pain

My Pain?
i had my tonsils out when i was 13 that was the worst pain ever i couldnt move my mouth it was black
Doctors trying to my arm back into its socket for 5 hours...

During this time one doctor thought it was back in place, lifted the arm up to test mobility but it was in a different place. It felt like he was trying to snap my collar bone in half using my arm, which also felt like it was about to break.

There was lots of other stuff happening, but thanks to the drugs I dont remember much! But yeah... Of what I do remember, those 5 hours sucked.

Worst part was is that it was for nothing! They put me to sleep in the end with general anesthetic so they could be as rough as they wanted.

EDIT: Oh and there was a time while I was in Italy and the arm fell out of its socket then. I fell off a bed backwards and it popped out, which meant I wasnt able to walk or get up. In England this wouldn't be a problem as paramedics are trained and give you the gas, however Italian paramedics are not trained...

They flung me around, caught my arm on walls, took me on a bumpy 1 hour ambulance ride then I was sitting in hospital for a good 4 hours waiting to have the arm put back in place.
(edited 13 years ago)
Slipping over and getting a spiral fracture of my elbow was ****ing horrible. Wouldn't wish that on anyone.
Original post by Smoked Salmon
Baby scorpion stung my thumb when I was about 10yrs old while playing in a pile of bricks - felt like my thumb was on fire.

where were you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending