The Student Room Group
Liverpool John Moores University
Liverpool

gaining liverpool accent if i go to uni there

If i go to liverpool Uni for four years and live there do you think I will develop an accent?

I was on the phone to a liverpudlian and felt really bad because my voice went high pitched like i was mocking her but i honestly wasnt i think my voice was picking up on her accent.

Scroll to see replies

Ahahaahaha, nah I don't think you'll get a full blown accent but you might develop a bit of a twang.
Liverpool
Calm down calm down
Reply 3
In york I met a northern irish girl who spoke half yorkshire accent and half northern irish.

Disgraceful.
you might pick up a hint....but doubt you'll lose your current accent from 4yrs
Just hope to god that you don't.
I understand that it could be worrying, but don't fret - I've lived in Cambridge for nearly fourteen years and only have the merest hint of an accent from the place, you're unlikely to pick anything up (well, accent-wise :wink:) from four years.
(edited 13 years ago)
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee (that's a word in liverpool) i don't think so laaaaa
My dad's from Liverpool an has a full blown accent but in my 18 years I've only ever picked up a slight twang... it is a strong accent but there's nothing wrong with a bit of scouse :biggrin:
Original post by infernalcradle
you might pick up a hint....but doubt you'll lose your current accent from 4yrs

May be, but may be not. For the vast majority of people - no, but some people will. I went to a secondary school in a posh-ish part of Yorkshire for about 5 years, and I've been told that my accent is posh and that I don't sound like I'm from my home town
Original post by TheSownRose
I understand that it could be worrying, but don't fret - I've lived in Cambridge for nearly fourteen years and only have the merest hint of an accent from the place, you're unlikely to pick anything up (well, accent-wise :wink:) from four years.

Unlikely, but it's a possibility. Hopefully the OP won't
Reply 10
Highly unlikely! You might put up some slang words that are used there but not wherever your from, but your accent probably won't change, especially as you're more likely gonna be at home at Christmas/Easter/summer!
Original post by jblackmoustache
Calm down calm down

and behave.
Reply 12
you dont want to spend £3000 a year (ish) to sound like jamie carragher :P
I went there for a bit and hardly met any Scousers! Don't worry, you won't pick it up.
Oh and also, do not go to Liverpool with this attitude. Everyone will actually hate you and think you're a snob... people from Liverpool are very proud of their accent and really like people who are down to earth and open. Not people who are "scared" of "catching" an accent.
Reply 15
I'm in my final year at Liverpool Uni and I certainly don't have even the slightest twang of a scouse accent.
Reply 16
You will pick up the accent if you want to :dontknow:

Also, there are probably more non-scousers than scousers out of the 50,000 university students in Liverpool.

Oh and finally if you do meet any scousers I don't imagine it will take them too long to be beating the **** out of you :h:
Reply 17
You'll be with people who have Northern, Midland and Southern accents (along with the foreign accents too), uni is just like that. The local people will of course have the accents, but you won't be talking to 100% Liverpudlian accents 100% of the time.

Even if you did pick up a twang (very, very unlikely indeed), you'd find that when speaking to your old friends/family, you'd slip into your old accent within seconds.
Reply 18
It depends. Odds are that you'll pick up some features of the dialect and maybe some features of the accent too.

Your personal language is susceptible to change no matter what people say. I lived near Liverpool (Birkenhead) for 16 years (with a scouse accent) and then moved to Wales. I've been here for 4/5 years and I'd say I have a pretty neutral accent, that is, you couldn't tell where I was from by my accent.

It varies but it is a possibility :smile:
Original post by Guitarlaz
If i go to liverpool Uni for four years and live there do you think I will develop an accent?

I was on the phone to a liverpudlian and felt really bad because my voice went high pitched like i was mocking her but i honestly wasnt i think my voice was picking up on her accent.

Don't go. It's not worth the risk.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending