The Student Room Group

Girls who try so hard to be a lad. Why?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Why should I not act however the hell I want to act, no matter whether I happen to be XX or XY? I'm not here primarily to attract people and I'm not really bothered if my casual usage of the words 'mate', 'lad', 'man' etc doesn't appeal to you sexually; it's not like I would want to get with someone who massively cared how I spoke anyway.
Original post by fran.ha
Soooo... a girl isn't allowed to use the word 'dude'. Great. What else aren't we allowed to do because of our vaginas? Drink beer because we like the taste? Watch football because we like it? Step over the threshold of the kitchen?

Who the hell let Loose Women on TSR?

There is nothing at all wrong with that. How the hell does that relate to mannerisms and decorum? explain that?

I bet women have words too that if we called you them you'd go insane!
Reply 62
Original post by booksnob
Who says dude anyway, female, male or otherwise? uck.

Reply 63
Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x
Who the hell let Loose Women on TSR?

There is nothing at all wrong with that. How the hell does that relate to mannerisms and decorum? explain that?

I bet women have words too that if we called you them you'd go insane!

So you're defining the way a person should act (decorum) by what gender they are. Thats a bit stupid. You're saying we shouldn't say things the way we want because we're girls.

The fact is that yes, there are words that I would not like to be called by a man, but that's because they're derogatory. 'Dude' is not derogatory.
Reply 64
Original post by Playa10
guys i don't know how to create a new forum so i'll ask my question here: i was thinking of doing tax law next year, is that a good idea? i was told that its extremely difficult - any thoughts??

My TSR -> Forums -> (choose the forum you like) and you must see a button that says 'create a new thread' somewhere
Original post by Roo Bix
You must be incredibly lonely.

No, I have a girlfriend mate! sorry, who doesn't act like a man! she acts with class and self respect instead of swearing every other word and using laddish phrases or words.

Its like women who call their friends 'my bitch', 'my ho', etc

look at this...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101203214907AA3uxie

yes its from yahoo answers, look at the last reply

'its a girl thing, you wouldn't get it'

How sexist is that? basically saying males are incapable of understanding why they call each other it.
Reply 66
I call my friends lads. Only because one of them likes football. So she's a lad. Or a labe (half lad, half babe)
Oh yeah, to answer your question, I call them dudes, cos its such a common term, so it catches or, and lads cos its funny.
And bitches cos its funny. But I wouldnt be to offended if a guy called me bitch in the same way my friends do.
Original post by fran.ha
So you're defining the way a person should act (decorum) by what gender they are. Thats a bit stupid. You're saying we shouldn't say things the way we want because we're girls.

The fact is that yes, there are words that I would not like to be called by a man, but that's because they're derogatory. 'Dude' is not derogatory.

there are words that I would not like to be called by a woman, but thats because they are used between lads as banter!
Reply 68
there are words that I would not like to be called by a woman, but thats because they are used between lads as banter!

Why should girls not be allowed to use 'words that are used between lads as banter'. Why are we cut off from those words, why are those words reserved only for men?
Original post by fran.ha
Why should girls not be allowed to use 'words that are used between lads as banter'. Why are we cut off from those words, why are those words reserved only for men?

why cant i call a woman then a bitch, in a banter like way, as girls do to each other when they're messing about?
How is it like im saying women were put on the earth to serve men? Grow up!

Women were put on the earth to be deemed attractive to men so therefore men would want to take part in intercourse with them due to their attractiveness and thus reproduce which then leads to the continuation of the human race.

Now, in all honestly, I didn't really want to have to spell it out for you. The same applies the other way round. Men were put on the earth to appear attractive to women so women too would want to have sex with men and reproduce. You're just going on a completely unrelated tirade.

Also, you saying you find men who show a sensitive side as sweet, thats in your opinion. I know loads of women who can't stand them and want a man to be manly, so why can't men want a woman to act womanly?

No one is saying women have to act submissive or sacharine are they? Im just saying that certain behaviour is a turn off, just as I find men who swear constantly, men who are rude, men who act like idiots in the pub etc as pricks!

LOL at you telling me to grow up. Oh the irony.

To see one (minor) behaviour as representative of someone's character and a marker of their overall masculinity/femininity makes me think that you want a woman who to cut a long story is entirely stereotypically feminine; behaving like a ridiculously coy, chaste little girl or princess from a fairy tale which is very old fashioned and completely unrealistic. Cartoonishly overexaggerated, hyperfeminine and over-traditional.

Most people have a mixture of both feminine and masculine behaviours. It is more real and completely normal.

About the word Bitch - Me and this guy I'm seeing frequently call each other bitch as a joke. I don't mind if it's used in jest. Me and my girlfriends also call each other bitch during banter and I think quite a few girls do that. I don't think girls would mind you saying that if it is definite that you aren't being demeaning.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 71
why cant i call a woman then a bitch, in a banter like way, as girls do to each other when they're messing about?

You can :dontknow:

If you're a good enough friend with a person to have a jokey conversation with them (I believe the common modern term is 'BAAAANTTERRRR!') then you can...

Perhaps the issue behind all of this is that you're not a good judge of character and are unable to tell when someone is on a friendly enough level with you to accept this 'banter'...
Reply 72
No, I have a girlfriend mate! sorry, who doesn't act like a man! she acts with class and self respect instead of swearing every other word and using laddish phrases or words.

Its like women who call their friends 'my bitch', 'my ho', etc

look at this...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101203214907AA3uxie

yes its from yahoo answers, look at the last reply

'its a girl thing, you wouldn't get it'

How sexist is that? basically saying males are incapable of understanding why they call each other it.

I think it's really fickle for either gender to proclaim that the other shouldn't use certain words. It's fun to mix it up a bit. If we all conformed like that, how boring would communication be?
everyone i know does it all the time, boys and girls alike, calling each other dude and bro and man left right and center. it's more in an ironic way and of course i wouldn't call a guy "bro" if i fancied them, so it's not going to affect the guys i like. it's just for fun innit, "bitches" is too girly. would you like it if a girl came up to you and said "hey bitch!" or if girls called each other "bitch" all the time? i think that would be more annoying than the whole "man" business, really.
Original post by Eveiebaby
LOL at you telling me to grow up. Oh the irony.

To see one (minor) behaviour as representative of someone's character and a marker of their overall masculinity/femininity makes me think that you want a woman who to cut a long story is entirely stereotypically feminine; behaving like a ridiculously coy, chaste little girl or princess from a fairy tale which is very old fashioned and completely unrealistic. Cartoonishly overexaggerated, hyperfeminine and over-traditional.

Most people have a mixture of both feminine and masculine behaviours. It is more real and completely normal.

thats an assumption you have made though so therefore you think its right to think on behalf of me. No, I do not think that in the slightest. I just find it unattractive. I never said women should do the housework whilst men go to work, thats out of date and wrong and sexist. However, I find the same behaviour from men disrespectful and I wouldn't choose to hang around with people like that who have to use the f word constantly etc.

Im sure you've seen Eastenders, Darrens girlfriend in that acts feminine, whats wrong with that?

Kate Middleton acts feminine, whats wrong with that?

Even the Queen of Chavettes Cheryl Cole now acts feminine rather than the little chavette ladette she used to be, why? because being feminine is attractive and being attractive is part of how much she appeals to many of her fans. Do you think she'd get as much attention if she spoke like a lad? dressed like a chavette? no.
thats an assumption you have made though so therefore you think its right to think on behalf of me. No, I do not think that in the slightest. I just find it unattractive. I never said women should do the housework whilst men go to work, thats out of date and wrong and sexist. However, I find the same behaviour from men disrespectful and I wouldn't choose to hang around with people like that who have to use the f word constantly etc.

Im sure you've seen Eastenders, Darrens girlfriend in that acts feminine, whats wrong with that?

Kate Middleton acts feminine, whats wrong with that?

Even the Queen of Chavettes Cheryl Cole now acts feminine rather than the little chavette ladette she used to be, why? because being feminine is attractive and being attractive is part of how much she appeals to many of her fans. Do you think she'd get as much attention if she spoke like a lad? dressed like a chavette? no.

Depends what your idea of feminine behavour is. Maybe that's what the confusion is.....

I find kate middleton completely boring. I don't particularly find there is anything distinctive about her personality that comes across. What do I know though; it's not like I know her personally, but thats my impression. Just terribly dull. No spark, nothing particularly gutsy. Cheryl Cole is also boring and she still looks like a chav to me. Both of these examples seem to be of women who are a bit uptight and dull as dishwater. The types you'd imagine not to be very fun at a party and have nothing interesting to share.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by fran.ha
You can :dontknow:

If you're a good enough friend with a person to have a jokey conversation with them (I believe the common modern term is 'BAAAANTTERRRR!') then you can...

Perhaps the issue behind all of this is that you're not a good judge of character and are unable to tell when someone is on a friendly enough level with you to accept this 'banter'...

no, I've had arguments with girls who've said ' its okay for me to say things such as lad, man, brother, which you say between you and your mates but you can't do the things me and my girlfriends do.

To me thats one rule for one, another rule for another.

Sexism in this country is on the other foot. Andy Gray and Richard Keys get sacked yet Loose Women abuse men every day and degrade males in the most rude ways possible.
Reply 77
loosen up b!tch
Reply 78
Yo, there's nothin' wrong in speaking like a dude...u getz me blud :tongue:
Everyone is equal, we shall all speak equally init...
Reply 79
no, I've had arguments with girls who've said ' its okay for me to say things such as lad, man, brother, which you say between you and your mates but you can't do the things me and my girlfriends do.

To me thats one rule for one, another rule for another.

Sexism in this country is on the other foot. Andy Gray and Richard Keys get sacked yet Loose Women abuse men every day and degrade males in the most rude ways possible.

Conclusion to this thread: the girls you hang out with are ****. Perhaps rather than trying to pin this on 'all girls' consider that your social circle might not be like 'all girls'.

Also, how often have you actually watched Loose Women? Most of the time they just talk about their saggy bits and make sexual innuendoes.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending