The Student Room Group

I want to take a gap year and reapply for Medicine but...

So today I recieved my 4th rejection for medicine. I'm not surprised, after 3 rejections w/o interview I kinda expected it. However I'm veeeery determined to do medicine and fully intend on taking a gap year provided I get 3 As at A level.

That's the only problem though; what if I don't get the grades? I've got a lot of work to do to get these grades and if I don't get them I don't want to take aear out and then NOT be eligible to reapply for medicine.

Fortunately, I have a conditional offer for Biological Chemistry and Biochemistry at Nottingham. Will I be able to apply for student finance and accomodation even though I might take a gap year? (depending on grades). If I don't take this offer and don't get 3 As I will just be wasting a year of my life... I don't wanna do that!

I'd really appreciated your help, thanks :smile:
hi

sorry to hear bout your rejections you sound like a pretty normal person ( good doctor material:tongue:) compared to sooo many stuck medic applicants, anyways what were your grades? cause im applyin 2011 and i feel like im way below average and il probably end up where you are :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by thats medicinal...
hi

sorry to hear bout your rejections you sound like a pretty normal person ( good doctor material:tongue:) compared to sooo many stuck medic applicants, anyways what were your grades? cause im applyin 2011 and i feel like im way below average and il probably end up where you are :frown:

Haha, thanks :smile: At As I underachieved; I got ABBB in Biology, Chemistry, Maths & Psychology respectively. But since then I've done quite well in pulling up my grades and got all A's, with the exception of Biology ( :eek: ) in these last modules. I'm currently predicted 3 A's by my teachers, but tbh I still feel a little below average because it seems so many applicants have one or two A*s...
Reply 3
I'm in exactly the same position as you (except I don't have any offers at all). You could firm the offer you have got, apply for finance and accomodation, but then if you get three As just cancel your applicaton and don't go :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Blue_XD
I'm in exactly the same position as you (except I don't have any offers at all). You could firm the offer you have got, apply for finance and accomodation, but then if you get three As just cancel your applicaton and don't go :smile:

Can I just turn down the finance if I get the 3 As? Is it that simple :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by MJHERBZ

Original post by MJHERBZ
Can I just turn down the finance if I get the 3 As? Is it that simple :smile:

Yep :biggrin:
would gettin an A* in biology balance a B in chemistry with an A on history at A2 level?
Reply 7
Original post by thats medicinal...
would gettin an A* in biology balance a B in chemistry with an A on history at A2 level?

Afraid not, most schools specificy that they want an A in chemistry. Some schools will ask for 360 ucas points (i.e. Keele) and therefore you will be eligible, but ones which ask for grades AAA won't consider you unfortunately :/ I'd really try and get your chemistry grade up.
Reply 8
Original post by MJHERBZ
So today I recieved my 4th rejection for medicine. I'm not surprised, after 3 rejections w/o interview I kinda expected it. However I'm veeeery determined to do medicine and fully intend on taking a gap year provided I get 3 As at A level.

That's the only problem though; what if I don't get the grades? I've got a lot of work to do to get these grades and if I don't get them I don't want to take aear out and then NOT be eligible to reapply for medicine.

Fortunately, I have a conditional offer for Biological Chemistry and Biochemistry at Nottingham. Will I be able to apply for student finance and accomodation even though I might take a gap year? (depending on grades). If I don't take this offer and don't get 3 As I will just be wasting a year of my life... I don't wanna do that!

I'd really appreciated your help, thanks :smile:

Yeah, just send student finance the CO2 form when you decide to cancel your place at uni, then tell the uni you don't want their course.

Happened to me this year
Reply 9
Original post by bestofyou
Yeah, just send student finance the CO2 form when you decide to cancel your place at uni, then tell the uni you don't want their course.

Happened to me this year

Thanks a lot, I'm glad its this simple :smile:
Original post by MJHERBZ
Thanks a lot, I'm glad its this simple :smile:

whats the plans for your gap year if you get your grades?
Reply 11
Original post by bestofyou
whats the plans for your gap year if you get your grades?

Firstly a **** ton of work experience, I'll try and get shadowing a GP and hopefully a consultant for a week or so. I'll try and get a new job (I hate my current one and get very few hours), preferably something on the NHS payroll or perhaps in caring profession. If so I'll save up to go travelling and do my best to fund a medically related gap year. Spend a lot of time practicing for UKCAT, take a grade eight guitar exam (sounds much better than "I've played the guitar for 7 years"). And also put a lot more time and research into Medical schools, applying to those I think my application would be most suited to rather than just opting for where I want to go. And of course enjoying much more of a social life than vast quanities of revision is currently allowing me.

By the way, awesome username and picture. Gotta love the Grohl.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending