The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Original post by dominiqueblack
haha sure! :smile: hope it helps a little!

no idea whats is for, but and me? :smile:
Original post by MrDoctor
no idea whats is for, but and me? :smile:

It's general advice for applying to medical schools. It's written out on page 3 (post number 46)
Original post by Normandy114
Haha, I was wondering where those 15 warning points came from, you're normally a helpful poster from what I've seen. Jan modules went well, 8 exams which came out as aaaaabbc, both B's were one off an A, so a couple resits and a unit 2 paper in June may make it up to all A's, currently I'm on a very solid AABB.
Work experience I've got a week shadowing a consultant/a registrar/F1s and even medical students at one point, and another week as a teaching assistant from a year or so ago, maybe not too relevant but I could put it in as communication or teamwork skills hopefully. I start volunteering at a charity shop this weekend, which should help boost the application. Trying to sort out a week at a GPs and some work in a care home in the future to have a good balance of areas. Have you got many exams this summer? I've got 6, but two are critical thinking and two are resits so not nearly as bad as I had it this January.

Yeah lol - was "helping" someone understand what rimming was :tongue:.

Wow - how the hell did you have so many exams??? I only had two!!

I've got quite a few AS exams + a GCSE in my mother tongue language (Gujarati), so that's:

- Biol 2
- Biol 3 (EMPA), doing at the moment
- Chem 2
- Chem 3 (EMPA), done
- Core 1
- Core 2
- Statistics 1
- German 1
- German 2
- Critical Thinking 1
- GCSE Gujarati Speaking
- GCSE Gujarati Listening
- GCSE Gujarati Writing
- GCSE Gujarati Reading

So that's 12 Exams, 8 of which are AS :eek:
Original post by atomos
Considering all the Scottish ones, can't really afford to go further afield.
Might swap Glasgow for one of my choices this year, UKCAT permitting :tongue:

That said, if i screw up the UKCAT might consider applying to one english non-ukcat uni.

How about you?

Not definite, although most likely:

- Keele
- Leicester
- Newcastle
- UCL / some other university that I can't think of at the moment :redface:

Have you been given feedback as to why you didn't get a place last time around?
Original post by thegodofgod
Not definite, although most likely:

- Keele
- Leicester
- Newcastle
- UCL / some other university that I can't think of at the moment :redface:

Have you been given feedback as to why you didn't get a place last time around?

Feedback from Dundee didn't say much, just basically there were stronger applicants.
And from edinburgh - 'average' academics / 3rd quartile ukcat / 'excellent non academics'
Not got round to asking st andrews or aberdeen yet :tongue:
Original post by atomos
Feedback from Dundee didn't say much, just basically there were stronger applicants.
And from edinburgh - 'average' academics / 3rd quartile ukcat / 'excellent non academics'
Not got round to asking st andrews or aberdeen yet :tongue:

:redface: - so what did / do you have as your non-academics - apply to Keele and use that to your strength - they're very PS based i've heard
Yeah lol - was "helping" someone understand what rimming was :tongue:.

Wow - how the hell did you have so many exams??? I only had two!!

I've got quite a few AS exams + a GCSE in my mother tongue language (Gujarati), so that's:

:blah:

So that's 12 Exams, 8 of which are AS :eek:

Ouch, rather be me than you at this period in time. Yeah I done most of my exams in January as my sixth form does a 3 year system for A levels, so the January exams came after a year and a half of teaching, hence why I had so many.
(edited 13 years ago)
Ouch, rather be me than you at this period in time. Yeah I done most of my exams in January as my sixth form does a 3 year system for A levels, so the January exams came after a year and a half of teaching, hence why I have so many.

3 years???? damn!

so are you still in Year 12 then?
Reply 368
I have 13 AS exams (2 are practicals) and 1 A2 paper this summer. I hope my results will be good enough
3 years???? damn!

so are you still in Year 12 then?

Yep, we just do GCSEs a year early (years 9-10) and A levels are then years 11-13

Unlucky, where did you apply and what was your ukcat/bmat like? I'm building up my work experience portfolio slowly, already got 1 week of consultant/F1 shadowing (even shadowed medical students at one point :rolleyes:) and I start charity shop volunteering this weekend. Will be attempting to get some summer work experience at local GPs so I have evidence of seeing medical jobs in a variety of areas. Should try to get some volunteering at a care home at some point too, I read that it helps a lot.

I applied to leicester, imperial, BSMS and Keele.
I got 647.5 in UKCAT, VR-570 QR-850 AR-590 and DA-580 but leicester look at lowest section.
BMAT was bad, 4.1, 4.9, 2C
You should search for them now as they take long to reply. I remember waiting 2 months before I got a reply to do a week of shadowing work experience at a GP. I went to kenya for a month as well doing charity work/holiday forgot about that, did 2 weeks shadowing with my friends dad at a hospital and did 2 weeks receptionist work at a GP in year 11.
It doesn't take too long, just send in your CV and say you wanna do work experience.
My GCSE's were mediocre as well but it was above the minimum so it didn't affect it as much as my AS grades did.
(edited 13 years ago)
Yep, we just do GCSEs a year early (years 9-10) and A levels are then years 11-13

lucky :smile:

But don't most medical schools require that you do your module exams within a 2 year period? :confused: - or would that not apply to you?
lucky :smile:

But don't most medical schools require that you do your module exams within a 2 year period? :confused: - or would that not apply to you?

Doesn't apply as I did all my modules in January. The school didn't realise this for the year above so many of the medicine applicants got royally screwed over.
:redface: - so what did / do you have as your non-academics - apply to Keele and use that to your strength - they're very PS based i've heard

Work exp in oncology, opthalmology and ENT at hospital, gp, volunteer at nursing home, volunteer at barnardos, working towards millenium volunteer award by helping out at a primary school weekly, yearbook committee, prefect, production manager in young enterprise, member of musical theatre group, swim, netball, badminton, 1 week work exp at a primary school, and i think that is everything!
Doesn't apply as I did all my modules in January. The school didn't realise this for the year above so many of the medicine applicants got royally screwed over.

ahh unlucky :sad:

so the workload for you guys is less - lucky :jealous:
Original post by atomos
Work exp in oncology, opthalmology and ENT at hospital, gp, volunteer at nursing home, volunteer at barnardos, working towards millenium volunteer award by helping out at a primary school weekly, yearbook committee, prefect, production manager in young enterprise, member of musical theatre group, swim, netball, badminton, 1 week work exp at a primary school, and i think that is everything!

Wow! why on earth did they reject you! you seem perfect with all that experience! This is where our applicant twiness fails :tongue: my experiences is poops in comparison
Original post by Quackers93
Wow! why on earth did they reject you! you seem perfect with all that experience! This is where our applicant twiness fails :tongue: my experiences is poops in comparison

Ah but I did not mention anything about musical instruments :') that must've been it :tongue:
Reply 377
I'm picking my A level options, so far i have decided on maths, biology,chemistry but its the last option im confused on, its between psychology, geography, and physics, i would really appreciate some advice :smile:
Original post by atomos

wow! :eek:

I have 2 weeks in surgery - that's all at the moment in terms of work experience

going on a German work experience exchange programme - will get 1 week's worth in there, shadowing a GP / an ENT surgeon I think.

going India in the summer holidays, I'll try to squeeze one week in there. Hopefully i'll be able to talk about foreign W/E in interviews (if i get that far)

prefect at school

going to start volunteering at a private nursing home some time soon :yy:
Reply 379
what does everybody think bout the fees? I'm a 2011 applicant. would it stop you from applying?

Latest

Trending

Trending