The Student Room Group

Annoying friends

I am wondering if I am the only one going through this..I hate to sound horribly old-fashioned, but I believe in certain manners also within friendships. I am really fed up with people being late, lazy and thinking about themselves.
For instance, I have made a new friend at uni, and we've had lunch several times and she is always late. Now 5 min is fine, but if we've agreed to meet at a busy restaurant, 15 minutes is too much without saying anything. I'm sitting alone at a bar stool waiting, and she is unreachable by phone. I tried a different approach last time, I said go to the restaurant, ask for a table and text me when you are there. She texts saying she is there, but she is not. I end up waiting. I wanted her to wait there a couple of mins for me, so she could see what it felt like.
Now we planned on going away for the weekend, I have made appointments with people where we are going, so I sent her a FB message asking what trains she preferred etc. Time goes by, she doesn't reply, I have to send a new one, and now, 4 days before we're going, she's saying she can't bring the funds. She is otherwise a sweet girl and hwas the one showing interest in hanging out with me to begin with.

I don't want to seem racist or anything, but I have many friends from other areas of the world, India (like this girl), Middle East and Africa. What they have in common is two things; they're cheap and they are never on time, without leaving me notice. I have just come to notice that this counts for girls with that cultural background.
I am a nice person to everyone around me, fair enough I can be very lazy and all that, but when I DO make an appointment with a friend, I don't just back out, and if something gets in the way, I tell them.
Is this a girl thing in particular? I seem to know so many girls, otherwise sweet ladies, who's only thinking about themselves. We are all quite selfish at this age, but I wonder where the manners have gone. When we are supposed to get together for a dinner, people come whenever they please. If it's a dinner with seats and a big meal, 5-10 late is the appropriate time, not an hour! I have actually experienced this. Anyone feel the same?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
We Indians are proud of our cheapness. :colonhash:
Original post by CapnHooch
We Indians are proud of our cheapness. :colonhash:

After all you invented the number zero, take it and go:tongue:
Original post by Anonymous

I am wondering if I am the only one going through this..I hate to sound horribly old-fashioned, but I believe in certain manners also within friendships. I am really fed up with people being late, lazy and thinking about themselves.
For instance, I have made a new friend at uni, and we've had lunch several times and she is always late. Now 5 min is fine, but if we've agreed to meet at a busy restaurant, 15 minutes is too much without saying anything. I'm sitting alone at a bar stool waiting, and she is unreachable by phone. I tried a different approach last time, I said go to the restaurant, ask for a table and text me when you are there. She texts saying she is there, but she is not. I end up waiting. I wanted her to wait there a couple of mins for me, so she could see what it felt like.
Now we planned on going away for the weekend, I have made appointments with people where we are going, so I sent her a FB message asking what trains she preferred etc. Time goes by, she doesn't reply, I have to send a new one, and now, 4 days before we're going, she's saying she can't bring the funds. She is otherwise a sweet girl and hwas the one showing interest in hanging out with me to begin with.

I don't want to seem racist or anything, but I have many friends from other areas of the world, India (like this girl), Middle East and Africa. What they have in common is two things; they're cheap and they are never on time, without leaving me notice. I have just come to notice that this counts for girls with that cultural background.

Was sort of with you until the bits in bold. Sorry, but I'd rather have a friend who was a bit flakey than one who makes huge assumptions based on race.
Reply 4
So because one of your 'friends' has been late a few times you're justified in generalising whole swathes of the globe as being “cheap” and “never on time”? I should go to sleep.
Reply 5
Cheapness is so annoying! I always pay the tip, and if she does ONCE, she remembers, and if I don't give her that euro back (because I think we are at least on the path to becoming even...), she gives me a look as if I owe her money. Then she goes "that's alright...". I'm uncomfortable talking about money, but I want to go "hey you, I always round up when I put my cash on the table, and if we get change you don't leave a penny of yours".
Reply 6
For those of you who didn't realize, I have many friends from India, Middle East etc. I am not making assumptions based on one person. I am actually making the effort to get to know people from all regions, although most of the Africans at school seem to only want to hang out with each other. I have other friends with best friends from foreign cultures, who have the exact same problem.
Reply 7
To be honest, different cultures place different emphasis on promptness, but I think you need to chill out a bit. I wish I had your problems.
Reply 8
Original post by kiss_my_asthma_99
After all you invented the number zero, take it and go:tongue:

What is it?
Zero.
What is it's purpose?
Nothing.
What's inside of it?
Nothing.

*tear, it's beautiful.
Reply 9
Well it's just clearly a clash of different personal ideologies. You would be better off saying to them next time it happens that you would like it if they respected your love for punctuality and would perhaps be on time next time, highlighting that whatever you were planning to do afterwards has been disrupted because of them or something along those lines. They may not even be aware that they're always late.

If you can't get them to see your point of view, then just tell them an earlier time next time by however more minutes they are usually late, i.e: tell them to meet you at half 7, if they are usually 30 minutes late, if you ACTUALLY want to meet them at 8.

I don't want to seem racist or anything...

Erm...when you say this, you're usually going to be racist.
Reply 10
For those of you who didn't realize, I have many friends from India, Middle East etc. I am not making assumptions based on one person. I am actually making the effort to get to know people from all regions, although most of the Africans at school seem to only want to hang out with each other. I have other friends with best friends from foreign cultures, who have the exact same problem.

Well I'm a white British girl, and I also have that problem.

Some people are lazy. Deal with it, or find friends with attitudes similar to your own.

Even so, that's just anecdotal evidence.

Doesn't give you the right to extend your assertions.
Original post by CapnHooch
What is it?
Zero.
What is it's purpose?
Nothing.
What's inside of it?
Nothing.

*tear, it's beautiful.

wow, a Russell Peters fan:biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by alharrison4
Even so, that's just anecdotal evidence.

Doesn't give you the right to extend your assertions.

Well I didn't say "all Indian people are like this". Actually race and background wasn't the point of my thread at all, it was just a detail which might explain different attitudes, but as soon as you bring anything along those lines into a thread here, people go insane.
Reply 14
I have a friend who is always late. Like an hour or so. But she never has a good reason, she just sits around until she's half an hour late, then starts getting ready really slowly for the next half an hour. It gets annoying. We generally tell her to be there an hour before everyone else turns up now.... we love her anyway though :]

I am a nice person to everyone around me, fair enough I can be very lazy and all that, but when I DO make an appointment with a friend, I don't just back out, and if something gets in the way, I tell them.

Is this a girl thing in particular? I seem to know so many girls, otherwise sweet ladies, who's only thinking about themselves. We are all quite selfish at this age, but I wonder where the manners have gone. When we are supposed to get together for a dinner, people come whenever they please. If it's a dinner with seats and a big meal, 5-10 late is the appropriate time, not an hour! I have actually experienced this. Anyone feel the same?

I feel EXACTLY the same way sometimes. I get annoyed when friends show up late to things when we have said we'd meet up over work or something or they don't show up at all and didn't bother to tell me in advance. Don't worry you're not being old-fashioned, its common courtesy.

If you want a solution to your problem the best thing to do is just be honest. If these friends are close then they'd understand what's happening. Sometimes in classes if there is a big project to do I won't work with certain friends because they're simply unreliable; and even they know that! :smile:
Easy enough... Don't be friends with them?.. Why complain on here about something thats in your control :/
I'm always late... my friends learnt to adapt to it immediately... like texting me the time of the movie 30 minutes before it's actually started... so far it worked. patience is the key... and a whooollleee lot of improvising

Well I didn't say "all Indian people are like this". Actually race and background wasn't the point of my thread at all, it was just a detail which might explain different attitudes, but as soon as you bring anything along those lines into a thread here, people go insane.

Well, I'm hardly going insane about it, and I realise that wasn't the point of your thread, but if you say things like that people are going to want a bit of explanation. Certain parts of your original post could be construed pretty badly, e.g. "What they have in common is two things; they're cheap and they are never on time, without leaving me notice. I have just come to notice that this counts for girls with that cultural background."

I actually do find it interesting that you're considering different attitudes as an explanation, I just don't think you worded it in the best way... As someone said above, when you start a sentence with any variant on 'I don't mean to be racist but', people tend to assume you are gonna be racist.
Reply 19
Unreliability is more of a problem than lateness and it's all based upon a person's attitude. If they aren't very good at time keeping, that's something you can deal with, but if they have a real cba nature, it gets annoying after a bit.

Latest

Trending

Trending