The Student Room Group

higher english folio, hows it going?

just curious how we are finding the folio part of the course

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rajveers

I've handed in what should be my final drafts for both of my essays, so it's all good for me atm. My school has their own deadline of 29th of March for final drafts, so I've been working towards that date.

How about you?

Out of interest what do you want as a grade for English overall and for the folio?
Reply 2

I thought it went quite well. I chose to do a Short Story and a Discursive.
Reply 3
i just finished my final drafts tonight. Predict 19+ for both, absolutely chuffed considering my teacher told me i was unable of passing higher english. Well i want an A :L Got AAAAC in the prelims, just gotta fix the english :P
oh and i did a reflective and a discursive :smile:
Reply 4
i finished both of them last week, pretty pleased with both of them. The other parts of the english course i will fail miserably at :L
Reply 5
Original post by chr1stopher11
I've handed in what should be my final drafts for both of my essays, so it's all good for me atm. My school has their own deadline of 29th of March for final drafts, so I've been working towards that date.

How about you?

Out of interest what do you want as a grade for English overall and for the folio?

Having done some Maths, I've calculated my Folio mark to be at least 14.4, and therefore rounded to 14.
Personally, I'm obviously hoping for above 90% overall: although, I may be acting somewhat ambitious, or perhaps even audacious. Who knows? :rolleyes:

What about you? And everyone else?

P.S I hope no-one mistook my use of humour for egotism. :redface:
(Honestly though, an A at any percentage will suffice.)
i just finished my final drafts tonight. Predict 19+ for both, absolutely chuffed considering my teacher told me i was unable of passing higher english. Well i want an A :L Got AAAAC in the prelims, just gotta fix the english :P
oh and i did a reflective and a discursive :smile:

Thats what I'm hoping for too, 19+, hopefully a 19 and a 21 :smile: I'm doing a short story and a discursive.

Thats really good marks for the prelim, I only got AABBB (A in english which was amazing :biggrin:, although I was only a few marks off getting AAAAB). But anyway, good luck with the folio :smile:
Original post by Quick-use
Having done some Maths, I've calculated my Folio mark to be at least 14.4, and therefore rounded to 14.
Personally, I'm obviously hoping for above 90% overall: although, I may be acting somewhat ambitious, or perhaps even audacious. Who knows? :rolleyes:

What about you? And everyone else?

P.S I hope no-one mistook my use of humour for egotism. :redface:
(Honestly though, an A at any percentage will suffice.)

Oh god, I haven't got a clue what my mark might be for my folio, what's the calculation? But I would like 40/50 for the folio, or at least 38/50. And 70% for the final exam :smile:
Reply 8
im hoping to get over 21 for these two essays as i think they are the strongest part of my english this year. the close reading, poetry and prose (cba with drama..i dont like macbeth) will bring my mark back down to a B though
Original post by communista
im hoping to get over 21 for these two essays as i think they are the strongest part of my english this year. the close reading, poetry and prose (cba with drama..i dont like macbeth) will bring my mark back down to a B though

OMG I hated Macbeth when I did it at SG. Shakespeare is completely lost on me. :frown:

Btw, for those who have finished the discursive essay, how many sources did you list in the bibliography?
finished both of mines, put a fair amount of effort int perfecting them. Though i did find an issue with the word limit on my discursive essay, which was 1500 words - anyone else having this problem?
Trying to weigh up my options of which sections i can cut now :/
Reply 11
we didn't have a folio in higher :frown:
jealous.
Oh god, I haven't got a clue what my mark might be for my folio, what's the calculation? But I would like 40/50 for the folio, or at least 38/50. And 70% for the final exam :smile:

Close Reading = 40% - 50/50

Critical Essays = 40% - 50/50

Folio = 20% - 50/50

Formulas are, respectively:
Close Reading = X/50*40
Critical Essays = X/50*40
Folio = X/50*20

For example, imagine you got 40/50 for Close Reading, 42/50 for Critical Essays and 40/50 for Folio.

Close Reading = 40/50 = 0.8 --> 0.8*40 = 32/40
Critical Essays = 42/50 = 0.84 --> 0.84*40 = 33.6 = 34/40 (I rounded 33.6 to 34)
Folio = 40/50 = 0.8 --> 0.8*20 = 16/20

Overall: 32 + 34 + 16 = 82/100

I don't even study Maths this year so my formula may be flawed, but I got my geeky friend to check it, so it's all good. :biggrin:

Your grades look promising as it is, so suerte! :wink:
Reply 13
Original post by stephenmca
finished both of mines, put a fair amount of effort int perfecting them. Though i did find an issue with the word limit on my discursive essay, which was 1500 words - anyone else having this problem?
Trying to weigh up my options of which sections i can cut now :/

my discursive was 1800 words but after a few hours of serious analysis and word choice i got it down to 1339 so im still lying about the word count :L
OMG I hated Macbeth when I did it at SG. Shakespeare is completely lost on me. :frown:

Btw, for those who have finished the discursive essay, how many sources did you list in the bibliography?

I listed about four sources in the bibliography.

Close Reading = 40% - 50/50

Critical Essays = 40% - 50/50

Folio = 20% - 50/50

Formulas are, respectively:
Close Reading = X/50*40
Critical Essays = X/50*40
Folio = X/50*20

For example, imagine you got 40/50 for Close Reading, 42/50 for Critical Essays and 40/50 for Folio.

Close Reading = 35/50 = 0.7 --> 0.7*40 = 28/40
Critical Essays = 34/50 = 0.68 --> 0.68*40 = 27/40
Folio = 40/50 = 0.8 --> 0.8*20 = 16/20

Overall: 28 + 27 + 16 = 71/100

Your grades look promising as it is, so suerte! :wink:

Thanks for the formulas. What I think i'll get is in bold *fingers crossed*
I listed about four sources in the bibliography.

LOL, I think I've put in an excessive amount - 13 sources XD, even my teacher thought that was a lot :smile:
LOL, I think I've put in an excessive amount - 13 sources XD, even my teacher thought that was a lot :smile:

Quality over quantity. :teehee:
Quality over quantity. :teehee:

or alternatively, the more sources the better :wink:
I've completed mine :biggrin: However, I am in the minority...our English teacher is a big ball of aggression at the moment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending