The Student Room Group

I lacked confidence

I used to but now I'm super confident!! you?!!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by berryboysh
I would like to get my story out to other people who have a lack of confidence. Here is my story

All my family especially my Mum and brother have excellent confidence in every way whereas I used to suffer very badly with confidence, I think it started after i was run down by a car aged 12. at the age of 14 I started feeling very anxious all the time for no apparent reason such as going to school (I had no reason to worry about school, I enjoyed it and had many friends and had no hassle but still constantly worried about going but was fine one i got there) going to see family and friends made me nervous, again for no reason and just lacking in socializing and people skills basically. I would get very jumpy over little things and I would often get shaky legs so I often used to shuffle so other people couldn't see me shaking. Also I felt on edge and full alert, even in quite and safe places at the library I would freak out.

This was the way I felt inside (completely and utterly lacked self confidence) but I put on an act in front of other people by hiding how i felt in front of them by Forcing myself to act confident so they thought I was confident but inside I felt so emotional and 80% full of nerves.

For example on the morning of the first day of one of my new college courses and drank a full bottle of wine 16%vol in a matter of 5 minutes to give me extra confidence for college. (again I had no reason to worry as I got on very well with everyone there and I was fine once I got there but it was just heading to college them mornings that had me a bag of nerves) again nobody knew i lacked confidence as I was either smashed on vodka or was putting on an act pretending to be confident when inside i was crumbling. Many days, in fact nearly most on this one college course I would drink 5 cans of lager the morning before and know one suspected anything (nobody knew I was drinking alcohol)

All of my other 5 courses i have attended though I have never touched any alcohol on the morning of a college day except that particular one college course.

Now 2 years on I have built up my confidence, I don't drink alcohol to get me through the day no more, I am back in college now and am getting on great and my confidence is near enough as good as that of everybody else's in college, although I do feel nervous at times but I remind myself nothing is going to happen, and basically living life more to the full and much,much less worried. Nobody knows to this day though (Family, friends,classmates,) about my old confidence, but I felt i should share with you people.

My message is to people lacking in confidence,self esteem, and emotional problems is to not keep it all bottle up and secret but confide in someone and build up your confidence. it really does pay off

I guess i have some problems with confidence but i have overcome them over the recent years. I just wanna say how nice it is to see this. Good for you and thanks for posting this :smile: (rep)
Cool story, bro.

but seriously, confidence is a state of mind. if you tell yourself to be confident and try and engage socially, youll be fine. Everyone is nervous/akward when they meet new people anyway.
Original post by alwatkins1991
Cool story, bro.

but seriously, confidence is a state of mind. if you tell yourself to be confident and try and engage socially, youll be fine. Everyone is nervous/akward when they meet new people anyway.

I'm not nervous when I meet new people, wat about all the people who like meeting new people. Stop trying to put people on a lower level.
Reply 4
I used to lack confidence but then I found gin.......
Reply 5
Original post by mclovin123
I guess i have some problems with confidence but i have overcome them over the recent years. I just wanna say how nice it is to see this. Good for you and thanks for posting this :smile: (rep)

Thanks I just want other people who may be in the same situation I was in to get help sooner to not resort to the levels a I did
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
I'm not nervous when I meet new people, wat about all the people who like meeting new people. Stop trying to put people on a lower level.

That is hardly putting people on a lower level. Ok, sure lots of people like meeting new people, I like meeting new people. Just the majority of people on this website/in this thread appear to be lacking confidence, and I was just encouraging them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending