The Student Room Group

Would you find someone who speaks 16 languages attractive or a geek?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Which languages can you speak out of interest, OP?
I would find it unbelievable and want proof. I don't think it would have any effect on me. It's not sexier or geekier - it just is.
Reply 101
Original post by hannah_dru
Are we talking fluently? Cos that'd be pretty cool (but maybe a little daunting).

He has another thread about this, basically his idea of fluent is lame (he only does 3 months on each language).
Reply 102
My mother speaks 8 languages. She was taught 6 of them as a child though - I find it bizzare as I can only manage two or three.
Reply 103
Original post by S_123
Which languages can you speak out of interest, OP?
I would find it unbelievable and want proof. I don't think it would have any effect on me. It's not sexier or geekier - it just is.

English, Welsh, Spanish, Polish and German.

Currently learning: Japanese and Italian

It is my goal to master English, Scottish Gaelic, Welsh, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese, Korean, Arabic, Hindi/Urdu, Persian/Farsi, Polish, Russian, Spanish, Italian, Portugese, French and Esperanto.
Original post by language_man

English, Welsh, Spanish, Polish and German.

Currently learning: Japanese and Italian

It is my goal to master English, Scottish Gaelic, Welsh, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese, Korean, Arabic, Hindi/Urdu, Persian/Farsi, Polish, Russian, Spanish, Italian, Portugese, French and Esperanto.

Why those languages?

Seriously, Farsi? Why?
Reply 105
Original post by im so academic
Why those languages?

Well these are the most widely spoken languages, so it'll allow me to go most places in the world without communication problems. These are also the cultures I'm most interested in exploring and so forth.

Seriously, Farsi? Why?

Farsi is an interesting language and Iran is an interesting culture. Also Persian women are beautiful.

Well these are the most widely spoken languages, so it'll allow me to go most places in the world without communication problems. These are also the cultures I'm most interested in exploring and so forth.

Since when were Welsh widely spoken?! :rofl:

Farsi is an interesting language and Iran is an interesting culture. Also Persian women are beautiful.

And Hindi/Urdu?
Reply 107
I would be extremely impressed. Just Sayin
As the title says. If you knew someone who could speak 16 languages fluently, would it change your opinion of them? Would you be more or less likely to be attracted to them? Or would you think 'Omg, geek! They must have no life and spend all their life studying and practicing their languages!' Would you also think they are an over-achiever too and thus feel a bit uncomfortable around them?

EDIT: I don't currently speak 16 languages, but it's one of my life goals. So it's more of a hypothetical question really.

Cheers,

Language_Man

I would be convinced you can only say '16 languages' fluently in 15 other languages and take me as an idiot who would believe your stupid lies.
Reply 109
Since when were Welsh widely spoken?! :rofl:

In Wales it's widely spoken. Also in some parts of Argentina too.

And Hindi/Urdu?

India is an interesting country. Also, there are a lot of Indian and Pakistani people in Britain, so if I can speak to them in Hindi/Urdu then I immediately stand out from other British people because British people generally don't learn other languages.
(edited 13 years ago)
16 languages? Would that even be possible?
I mean, I know once you speak say; Italian, Spanish & Portuguese become easier to learn, and then french is probably easier. But once you get past them the likes of German & Dutch, stuff like Finnish, Swedish & Danish would be hard to learn, then Japanese, Mandarin, Russian etc are all extremely hard because they have more than one alphabet/new alphabets.. i know Korean is supposedly the hardest language to learn.
All in all, I'd be impressed by someone that spoke say, 6 languages, but 16 is just kind of pointless really. And i'm sure you;d probably get them all confused.
Reply 111
Original post by Paint-a-Picture
I would be convinced you can only say '16 languages' fluently in 15 other languages and take me as an idiot who would believe your stupid lies.

But what if he truly COULD speak 16 languages fluently. No bull****. How would you feel then?
Reply 112
Original post by georgia246
16 languages? Would that even be possible?
I mean, I know once you speak say; Italian, Spanish & Portuguese become easier to learn, and then french is probably easier. But once you get past them the likes of German & Dutch, stuff like Finnish, Swedish & Danish would be hard to learn, then Japanese, Mandarin, Russian etc are all extremely hard because they have more than one alphabet/new alphabets.. i know Korean is supposedly the hardest language to learn.
All in all, I'd be impressed by someone that spoke say, 6 languages, but 16 is just kind of pointless really. And i'm sure you;d probably get them all confused.

16 is easily possible. In fact, have you heard of Ziad Fazah? He is a man who speaks 59 languages. Check out these videos of him speaking in 20 different languages, it's very impressive stuff....

http://www.myvido1.com/vsearch.php?tag=srcforeignlanguages
Why those languages?

Seriously, Farsi? Why?

What's wrong with farsi? :O That's a perfectly acceptable choice!
Original post by LeeC
He has another thread about this, basically his idea of fluent is lame (he only does 3 months on each language).

In that case, not cool. It annoys me a bit when people have this false idea of being fluent or say they're able to speak a language when they haven't spent a lot of time on it. It's like on Facebook with the "X knows X language".
Reply 115
In that case, not cool. It annoys me a bit when people have this false idea of being fluent or say they're able to speak a language when they haven't spent a lot of time on it. It's like on Facebook with the "X knows X language".

Ignore that idiot. By fluent, I mean total mastery of each language. That's what I meant in this thread.
16 is easily possible. In fact, have you heard of Ziad Fazah? He is a man who speaks 59 languages. Check out these videos of him speaking in 20 different languages, it's very impressive stuff....

http://www.myvido1.com/vsearch.php?tag=srcforeignlanguages

Woah, that's pretty impressive stuff. Didn't think it would be possible. Think languages are something you're either good at or not, with very little middle ground (i know that sounds stupid, but i know people with GCSE's in say, German that can't really speak a word of it, and others that are highly competent).
I guess i just don't really understand WHY you want to learn that many (sorry if you've already said why). Personally, I learn Italian & Irish because I'm from that heritage and they particularly interest me, other than that I'd fancy learning Spanish and possibly French as I want to be a Journalist (and I'm pretty sure I couldn't learn Mandarin) for work purposes but beside those I wouldn't particularly have any desire to speak any other languages :/
Ignore that idiot. By fluent, I mean total mastery of each language. That's what I meant in this thread.

I stick with what I said in my first post then :smile: Cool but probably a bit dauting (only because I'm very competitive when it comes to languages).
Reply 118
I stick with what I said in my first post then :smile: Cool but probably a bit dauting (only because I'm very competitive when it comes to languages).

Ok. What languages do you speak?
But what if he truly COULD speak 16 languages fluently. No bull****. How would you feel then?

I wouldnt know what to do. I would feel like a complete loser for only knowing two. At the same time I would want to hide or run away or something because I think he is the best thing that has ever happened to the world. I would stare at him lots then laugh and with a suprise expression say 'really?' for about 15 minutes.
I would also probably want to hug him for a weird reason. I am trying to imagine myself in the situation and I think I would probably faint.
Then I would have to avoid him for the rest of my life because I dont think I would be able to handle standing around him :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending