The Student Room Group

Girls who try so hard to be a lad. Why?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Um...get over it? :smile: Who says there is a certain way that men and women must act? Do what you like, dude.
Original post by ritchie888
Yeah, dude is OUR word :angry:

Calm down, dude.

Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x
Seriously, why do girls, whether it be on facebook, via text messaging or in person, now often use male sayings such as lad, man, dude, brother. How are these things male sayings? You don't have some sort of gender right over words, fool

Why do you use such sayings? Because I can, and they come naturally to me :curious: (my mum has actually lately been commenting whenever I say "man" which is a lot more than I thought! I just kind of subconsciously say "man, I'm tired!") it's called picking stuff up. I doubt many people set out to use words like "cool" all the time but lots of people just end up saying it because they pick it up.

Don't you think its manly to say ' hey man, i'll catch you later because im off out. Speak later dude' I get this off girls all the time on facebook and its an instant turn off. It usually leads to the instant 'remove from friends' moment! No.... ah, man! This must be why I'm still single :rolleyes:

Women call each other their bitches or whatever else they say. If I were to say 'hey bitch, you okay?' you'd be livid with it! so why do you now all of a sudden think you're a bunch of Jessie J's who can 'do it like a dude'? It's something called joking, maybe you've heard of it? I have guy friends say it to me all the time, and vice versa.

Im not even trolling. I would never get with a woman who addressed me as lad, ever! just as I would expect a girl never to get with me for addressing her as bitch! Do you find "lad" offensive? I always find it quite nice, "lad" is always the kind of thing a dad says :smile: of course, the meaning has been skewed these days.

i'll call a girl gorgeous, i'll call her beautiful, i'll call her precious, or whatever else I want to call her but the moment she says dude or lad im just like o.O

Seriously, one of the most attractive things about a woman is when she acts feminine but all I see in Britain these days 9/10 is women who want to act like men. Constantly swear, act like lads, speak like lads. What is the world coming to? We got women acting like lads and then men like Alex Reid trying to be women. FML! Saying dude etc doesn't automatically mean you're trying to act like a lad or that you're not capable of being feminine

Im also not against gays or lesbians or bisexuals because thats natural. If you were a man then act like a man regardless of sexuality. If you are a woman then act like a woman regardless of sexuality. Oh, so you're just against tomboys and transsexuals then :rolleyes:

Well done :congrats:

(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by antonia87
i'll have you know i use the word "dude" largely thanks to my waynes world obsession.

scha-wing! :d
Original post by Mm_Minty
Calm down, dude.

Oh no you di'ent!
Oh no you di'ent!

Think I just did, biatch :wink:
Calm down, dude.

what a lad!

you're probably with a chav! jus saying :rolleyes:
what a lad!

Oh get a sense of humour, mate.
Reply 127
OP are you northern (or a pirate)? Because I don't think us southerners call each other lads and lasses.

I don't think anyone can use the term "dude" with any seriousness since we first started using it after "Bill and Teds excellent adventure" and "Wayne's World" came out.

Also, what is brah? Is that a black thing? Is that like. Yo bro, whassup my homie? I can't even use yo with a straight face seeing as I remember them explaining what it meant on Newsround with a little rap: "Yo is not yes or no its hello!"

TBH I think any girls or boys using these phrases are just having a laugh and not using it seriously. Anyone who does use these phrases seriously is probably a bit :broken:

Aye Jim lad.

Party on dude.
I think a more common and irritating crime is guys trying to be 'lads'.
Think I just did, biatch :wink:

Nice one, brotherrrrrrrrrrr!
Ahh man, chill out.

I never use bitches. But I use man, dude, bruv and brother (to my brothers).
Original post by Wanischa
Ahh man, chill out.

I never use bitches. But I use man, dude, bruv and brother (to my brothers).

your brothers hate you!
your brothers hate you!

I know :smile:
what a lad!

God, you're an idiot.

I am neither a chav, nor attempting to be a lad.
Seriously, those are the last things people would call me XD
I'm "pretty/cute and emo" apparently, so there you are.
Nice one, brotherrrrrrrrrrr!

I see you get me, brethren!
God, you're an idiot.

I am neither a chav, nor attempting to be a lad.
Seriously, those are the last things people would call me XD
I'm "pretty/cute and emo" apparently, so there you are.

im an idiot? thats why my IQ is well over 150. nice one feminist supremacist.
Original post by Straight up G
My posher friends when they are trying to mimick working class/slang-talking people haha.

Fair enough. East coast is better than west coast in every way anyway haha. Weather, music, people...

that makes more sense haha

and i totally agree :cool:
im an idiot? thats why my IQ is well over 150. nice one feminist supremacist.

Because IQ is sooooooo accurate! :rolleyes:
How does calling you an idiot make me a feminist supremacist? Surely it makes me an intelligence supremacist? I didn't mention anything about your gender in the post - unlike you, who thinks that girls shouldn't be able to say certain words simply because of their gender.
For someone who claims to be intelligent, you don't seem to have that much of a grasp on things, love.
Because we look up to man and we want to be cool like them so we just you know steal some of their vocabulary and show 'em how 'ard we are.
Or we could just be making fun of man, it could happen, it is not totally impossible. If you noticed girls only use these phrases when they are fooling around and having a bit of fun.

Overall it is fair to say we girls are amused by the weird ways of the males and have concluded that by copying them we can keep peace between the two alien genders.

Amen.
Original post by Playa10
guys i don't know how to create a new forum so i'll ask my question here: i was thinking of doing tax law next year, is that a good idea? i was told that its extremely difficult - any thoughts??

Haven't genuinely laughed at anything from TSR for, well, ever.

But this got a chuckle.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending