The Student Room Group

Why do women think their ugly when their not

FFS, I just dont get this, you tell them their sexy, gorgeus, pretty etc. But their like:

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo I'm soo ugly, I'm butters, no one will want me" etc etc.

I just dont get it, even if a woman is really attractive they wont be able to comprehend it. FFS, I thought I had confidence issues, but these type of girls are 10 times worse.

Whats even more annoying, is when someone asks them out they go "he's not my type" WTF, you complain that you're ugly, then you spread the same sentiment to someone whos trying to get close to them.

Is it really difficult to find a girl whos unaware of her looks :confused: or are the majority of women like this help me out here :confused:

I'd go for an 'average' girl over a super hot girl, that was unsure about her appearance. Yeah, I think that because theres less drama involved :h:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Probably just because we have to look at gorgeous airbrushed women every day so the concept of natural beauty is not deemed attractive.
Reply 2
For constant attention...
I mean.. Because there are so many pressures on a girl to look good this days. Nevermind the fact the majority of those pressures come from other women.
Reply 3
To be honest, it's because they are ugly.
It pisses me off as well, there is a girl at uni who is genuinely stunning, all us guys are after and she is one of the prettiest girls here, and she kept on saying all day yesterday about how fat she was and ugly, and I don't know what the **** her standards are. I just don't get it.

Like you say guys have confidence issues, but that is nothing compared to women, and even the really fit ones. I don't know how skinny they want to be to actually always think they are fat. Too skinny looks awful dammit!
Because they want compliments, attention and to feel validated.

Duhhh.
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
Because they want compliments, attention and to feel validated.

Duhhh.

I'm not even sure of your gender.

WTF are you :confused:
Reply 7
I just wanna catch**** em all :sigh:
Because I am sure they are lieing and want to make me look like a loser in front of everyone. Because I am really ugly and I dont need reminding of how I look **** everyday except that day I actually tried and people compliment because they have to. Shut the **** up and stop making fun of people who are less attractive and ugly.
Reply 9
Media influences and shizz.
Don't forget bullying and stuff, too. People are always saying how pretty I am and stuff but I can't always accept it because I had a period of god knows how long of this one girl deciding she hated me for no reason and then proceeded to tell me multiple times a day, every day how I ugly I was. I used to not be able to leave the house sometimes and just sat sobbing in my room because I thought I was too ugly to be seen.
So there's stuff like that, too :dontknow:

But the main cause probably is the media and stuff, I suggest you have a look at this, it's really enlightening (the other episodes too)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9RDPcV4x4Y
(not going to embed because it's a documentary i.e. an hour long! Worth watching, though
(edited 13 years ago)
You know what? I'm a girl, and I have no bloody idea what the answer to this question is. Why do so many girls have such low self esteem? It's crazy.

Also, please don't hate me but it's "when they're not".
Reply 11
Original post by Mm_Minty
I had a period of god knows how long of this one girl deciding she hated me for no reason and then procedural to tell me multiple times day, every day how I ugly I was. I used to not be able to leave the house sometimes and just sat sobbing in my room because I thought I was too ugly to be seen.

Wow, that is so sad. Some people are disgusting.
Reply 12
If a woman doesn't live up to the media's standard of what's deemed beautiful, they feel they aren't attractive enough.

HOWEVER

There was an experiment conducted in remotes areas of the world, where they were asked 'what's beauty/attractive' and their answers were pretty much reciprocal to the western's view of beauty.

So maybe the woman who's complaining about her looks isn't all that OR just v. insecure :dontknow:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Attention seeking or self-confidence issues.
Because some of us have been made to feel ugly often enough for the effects to linger even when logically you know it's not true any more :frown:
This really really gets to me. All these girls go on and on and on and on and on about how ugly they are, so then they post a million pictures of themselves on facebook, wear clothes which are, let's say, slightly revealing and flirt with everyone, but then wtf??? if they really thought they were so ugly they wouldn't post pictures, they would cover themselves up and they wouldn't flirt with everyone because they'd know that the reaction is going to be negative. (I'm not saying ugly people should do those things, I'm saying they do because no one likes being the object of mockery.)

I actually am ugly, it's not a thing you want to be, I'm sure the girls who go on about it do just want attention and compliments. Ain't getting none off me anymore.
I think different people do it for different reasons. Some seek validation, some believe they are bad looking because they might have got bullied in the past and they have a damaged perception of themselves even if they become a late bloomer and stunner in years to come.

Some believe they might be unattractive because they may have been in relationships with partners who were psychologically abusive.

Some women are so attractive that they dont get much attention in the form of approach (men get intimidated) which could make them shy because they might think they arent getting approached as much as their other friends and are thus less attractive.

Whatever happens though; girls will only get with guys who they actually fancy. Whatever standards they have, they are less inclined just to have what they can get. I'm not someone who thinks of themselves as particularly good looking, but I wouldnt get with someone who wasnt my type either. Whats the point of getting with someone you don't find attractive? I'm not that desperate. Thankfully I have found someone who I find hot and who likes me too :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
i don't know too many women who lament over their (un)attractiveness, to be honest. if we do, it's probably a bit of false modesty at best, and total insecurity at the worst. but mainly because we want to be sure that you're not being disingenuous when you tell us we're attractive.

that being said, everyone has insecurities about their appearance, it doesn't necessarily have to do with a lack of confidence. it's really nice to receive genuine compliments: not for a superficial ego boost, but because someone cares about/noticed the time you invest in your appearance.
Reply 18
I think that part of it is a peer pressure thing. If all a girl's friends are moaning about how ugly/fat they are (which they could be doing for lots of reasons, including attention seeking) then she will feel obliged to do the same. Most girls in that situation wouldn't say "Well, I think I'm OK, actually" because they would be afraid of coming across as big headed.
I agree though, it does get on my nerves sometimes.
It's called attention whoring.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending