The Student Room Group

Cheap meat?

Wondering where would be the best place to buy cheap (but good quality) meat? Specifically chicken as it's the main meat I eat. I just think chicken breasts are so expensive for the amount you get! There has to be somewhere that does a reasonable amount of chicken breasts for a decent price? And not full of water like the Asda crap!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You get what you pay for. If you buy cheap, it's usually crap. I only buy free range/organic because I know how grim the conditions of the animals are kept in. Basically they live in a pool of their own piss and poo surrounded with diseased and dead birds in battery conditions.

All food is expensive.

Best quality of meat might be worth visiting a butchers serviced by an accredited farm but I know not many people will have access to that.
Original post by Eveiebaby
You get what you pay for. If you buy cheap, it's usually crap. I only buy free range/organic because I know how grim the conditions of the animals are kept in. Basically they live in a pool of their own piss and poo surrounded with diseased and dead birds in battery conditions.

All food is expensive.

Best quality of meat might be worth visiting a butchers serviced by an accredited farm but I know not many people will have access to that.

Butchers don't have to adhere to strict food standards that supermarkets do, you never know what they're mixing with their meat.
Reply 3
Go for the co-op discounted ones that go off the next day, they're usually half price or less.
Reply 4
Have you considered buying liver? It's not to everybody's taste, but it's dirt cheap and apparently very good for you. Goes well in stir fry.
Chicken thighs are cheaper and better.
to answer your question seriously, try tesco where you may be able to find a good bogof deal, or at least, buy one get one half price? also, sainsbury's has a 'basics' line. never tried them, but maybe they'd have some decent products. i'm choosy about my meat too and don't want to eat total crap, but when all else fails, i'd rather spend a bit more for high quality. sometimes this means i buy it close to the expiry date when it's on sale, and freeze it until i'm ready to cook.

Original post by converselove
Wondering where would be the best place to buy cheap (but good quality) meat? Specifically chicken as it's the main meat I eat. I just think chicken breasts are so expensive for the amount you get! There has to be somewhere that does a reasonable amount of chicken breasts for a decent price? And not full of water like the Asda crap!!!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by superwolf
Have you considered buying liver? It's not to everybody's taste, but it's dirt cheap and apparently very good for you. Goes well in stir fry.

Had it before and didn't really like it! Thanks though!!

Thanks for the replies (apart from eat your flatmate cause I recently watched a program about cannablism and just..). Going to Lidl tomorrow to see what they're offering, might try the market on Wednesday!
Are you getting cheaper cuts? Even organic chicken thighs/beef skirt/ham hock/belly pork/lamb breast can be cheap.

I was doing this but stopped eatingit more than once a week after I read this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervitaminosis_A

to be fair I used to eat half a kilo a day so you'll probably be fine just giving you a heads up really
Original post by Militantbuthopeful
I was doing this but stopped eatingit more than once a week after I read this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervitaminosis_A

to be fair I used to eat half a kilo a day so you'll probably be fine just giving you a heads up really

Well as long as it isn't polar bear liver you'll probably be alright. :tongue:

Aldi! I get so much cheap meat from there, and it's all pretty nice :smile:
Well as long as it isn't polar bear liver you'll probably be alright. :tongue:

Nope 100g is something like 7 times rda and the portions I was eating were closer to 35 times. I never worked out if I was crossing the threshold for chronic Hypervitaminosis A but I'm pretty sure I was up there somewhere. Like I said though I was eating an awful awful lot.
Tried the market? Can get fairly decent cheap meat there.
Original post by rachelkeira
Aldi! I get so much cheap meat from there, and it's all pretty nice :smile:

*cries* we don't have an Aldi :frown: everyone tells me how good it is but the closest alternative would probably be Lidl
Reply 15
I get a big bag of sweet& sour pork from the supermarket for £5, lasts 1-2 meals. yom yum, me hungry
Reply 16
Buy pork cheek or hock, or beef skirt steak from the butchers! It's dirt-cheap and absolutely delicious.
Reply 17

Have you thought about liver and stuff like that? Some of it can be quite tasty apparently..
*cries* we don't have an Aldi :frown: everyone tells me how good it is but the closest alternative would probably be Lidl

Oh :frown: I'm lucky to have one literally next door to my halls! I'm sure Lidl with be just as good, I mean, they have 3/4 letters in their name the same xD
Reply 19
Honestly though, some of the most nutritious and delicious cheap cuts tend to be the likes of the offal - I know it sounds terrible to resort to liver and kidneys and cheeks and whatnot - but when you try them, you'll change your mind!

Quick Reply

Latest