The Student Room Group

A US student applying to Oxford?

Hi, (SORRY THIS IS LONG....PLEASE READ!)
I am a US student interested in applying to Oxford next year..
Now I may be mistaken, that is why I am asking, but someone told me that Oxford does not look at GPA for US students... is that true?

Because honestly my GPA is terrible. (3.4 UW - DONT JUDGE!!) But going to a school like Oxford is a dream! I know that I am a smart student, but my first two years of high school was rough due to personal reasons. And here in the US unis and colleges put more of an emphasis on GPA and SAT scores..

where as on Oxford I did not see anything about GPA requirements.. When they look at a US applicant do they eventually look at the GPA or even take it into consideration?

I know I have to do well on my SAT and SAT subject tests, and my AP exams

also I am in the IB program... I know they say that the requirement for IB students is about 38-40 points with 6s and 7s in the HLs

But what if I were to fulfill the requirements for the SATs and the AP exams..and not do so hot with the IB score?
will they deny me if I do not get a 38+ for IB?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So what I am trying to get at is.. because I am in the IB program will they judge me by that.. or could I still get in with my SATs and AP scores?

And do they look at GPA.
Original post by Norway_lover
Now I may be mistaken, that is why I am asking, but someone told me that Oxford does not look at GPA for US students... is that true?

Because honestly my GPA is terrible. (3.4 UW - DONT JUDGE!!) But going to a school like Oxford is a dream! I know that I am a smart student, but my first two years of high school was rough due to personal reasons. And here in the US unis and colleges put more of an emphasis on GPA and SAT scores..

where as on Oxford I did not see anything about GPA requirements.. When they look at a US applicant do they eventually look at the GPA or even take it into consideration?

also I am in the IB program... I know they say that the requirement for IB students is about 38-40 points with 6s and 7s in the HLs

But what if I were to fulfill the requirements for the SATs and the AP exams..and not do so hot with the IB score?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So what I am trying to get at is.. because I am in the IB program will they judge me by that.. or could I still get in with my SATs and AP scores?

And do they look at GPA.

Your best bet is to ask the university directly - you should be able to find a suitable contact on www.ox.ac.uk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And do they look at GPA.

Hey,
Like mentioned above, speak to the University directly.

Can I also suggest that, if oxford DO consider GPA, and if you didn't do as well as expected for a valid personal reason, that you ask for a referee at the school to validate it for you? It looks better on you if the reason is legitimate. At the end of the day, if you went through a rough patch which wasn't your fault, you shouldn't be blamed for it :smile:

Oh, and also, it seems that you aren't quite clear on the whole acceptance thing.

Our universities make you an offer based on the information you provide the admissions tutor. If they want you on the course, they'll make you an offer, or if not, they'll reject you. Oxford courses require interviews, so you will have to be interviewed before an offer is made.

Let's say you pass the interview. Your offer will be on the predicted grades - if you are predicted 40 for IB, and Oxford make you an offer that you have to get 39 to have a place on the course, for instance, then you have to achieve the 39, or you won't be able to attend Oxford.

Quote if you're still unsure! :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Okay..
But what if I do fulfill the SAT, and AP requirements that they want...
but they see that I am an IB student..

will they hold me to that IB standard?
I know I should call them but I just got home and its late...
Reply 4
also im not sure what I will be studying or what I am applying to when/IF i apply to Oxford but does it matter which AP/SATII tests i take?
because im just taking the tests that are available to me which is the
AP English Language &Composition, Environmental Science, and US History (the only tests my school will let me take)

and for SATs
im planning on taking either Literature, World History, US History, and MAYBE Math I (but prob not)

Im not sure what I will be studying but i know that I will not be going into the field of the medicine, science, or math realm

so probably something along the lines of psychology, international law(cant find it on their site so maybe they dont have it), business, business management etc..
Reply 5
u can connect with oxfard directly ,
to show ur best ability to them
Original post by Athena
I suspect Oxford are more likely to give you an IB offer anyway, as they are used to seeing candidates with this qualification, and it will make it much easier to compare you to other students (and if you get an offer, to make that offer comparable to other students').

I would second that. APs cover a limited range of subjects, not especially well-mapped on to the A-level and IB subjects that tutors are more used to seeing in applicants. So if you are doing IB, they will most likely make the offer based on that. And as Athena says - read the prospectus!

:sheep:
Reply 7
ahh! okay then

so say they consider me on an IB basis... how would they give me a conditional offer since Im not guaranteed a 6/7 on my IB exams?

and doesnt it make it harder for US students because we dont find out about our scores until summer before we go off in America we have to send in our deposits to our school before May 1st or else we lose our spot in that uni. And I think they are nonrefundable after a certain date...

ahh!! im freaking outt!
ahh! okay then

so say they consider me on an IB basis... how would they give me a conditional offer since Im not guaranteed a 6/7 on my IB exams?

and doesnt it make it harder for US students because we dont find out about our scores until summer before we go off in America we have to send in our deposits to our school before May 1st or else we lose our spot in that uni. And I think they are nonrefundable after a certain date...

ahh!! im freaking outt!

I didn't realise that - I don't really see what you can do about the deadlines being incompatible. Contact Oxford to see what US students have done in the past? Contact some US schools to see what your position would be?

You might well be able to study in Oxford as a visiting\associate student whilst doing your main degree in the US.

Ummm... that's what "conditional" means. If you were offered a place, it would be on the condition (say) that you got 40 IB points overall, with 7,6,6 in comparative numismatics, herpetology and maths.

On the whole, the tutors will make offers to only people who they expect to meet or exceed the offer conditions, since if the conditions are not met the place allocated will likely go to waste - only a very small amount (about 5-10% I think) of "overbooking" takes place.

:sheep:
Reply 10
But what do they use to figure out if you will meet the condition?

someone told me that they give you the conditional offer based on your predicted IB score that your teachers give you which is based off the grade you get in that class (like gpa)
is that true?
ahh! okay then

..Maybe Oxford isn't for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And do they look at GPA.

First off, I would say go ahead and apply and submit the best possible application you can. You don't know if you'll be accepted if you don't apply.

That being said: Oxford is exceptionally competitive for US students straight from high school. I know someone who had 6 AP's at 5(which is double the requirement), had scored a 27 on the LNAT, and had a 4.6 GPA and this individual didn't even get an interview.

That being said, I still encourage you to apply. If you don't end up going to Oxford, let the tutors make that decision, not you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending