The Student Room Group

White teeth

I would like to whiten my teeth but it is way too expensive in the dentist.

Is there a way I can whiten my teeth with a home-kit? or mixing some substances (as I used to know a friend who brushed his teeth once a week with a white substance and a powder and he has white teeth now)

I have been brushing my teeth for 2/3 times a day for the past 10 years!!

My teeth are a bit yellowish, something like the 2nd picture :

Spoiler

Has anyone trie anything that has worked?
How about hydrogen peroxide and baking powder?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've heard people recommend Crest whitening strips.
Reply 2
Original post by Limoncello

Is there a way I can whiten my teeth with a home-kit? or mixing some substances (as I used to know a friend who brushed his teeth once a week with a white substance and a powder and he has white teeth now)

Spoiler

You can buy things in shops to whiten teeth however i'm not sure if they damage your teeth. I think you can get a paste and i think there might be some strips or something, i'm not entirely sure
Reply 3
Or you know, just brush twice a day like most people.
Original post by badger-man
I've heard people recommend Crest whitening strips.

This. I cant recommend them enough. Get the Supreme version because they have a better concentration in them which whitens your teeth better and faster
Reply 5
Get plates made, dentist will do them but he/she'll charge you a fortune because he/she is a ****ing dentist.

If you know someone who knows someone £30 is pretty good to get them made.

Pour in some of the tooth bleach and put the plates in for a few hours. Get's it a bit more evenly over all the teeth.

Might make some teeth sensitive if so use sensodyne, it really helps.
Reply 6
Original post by Yawn11
Or you know, just brush twice a day like most people.

Have you read my post ?

Spoiler

I personally wouldn't recommend ever mixing up your own concoctions. You could easily cause gum damage if you don't know the right measures and concentrations.

I would recommend either saving up to have it done professionally, or not at all.

I have a dentist-made tray and use bleach that I buy from my dentist. I'm yet to actually get round to using it regularly, but it does work. However, the sensitivity issue is annoying but sensodyne does work wonders.
falim chewing gum that is all.
Reply 9
My dentist (who is a really genuine guy I trust) said never to use the home kits as they will be either too weak to have an effect or so strong that they actually damage your teeth. Save up and get it done properly, it's just not worth risking your teeth over saving a couple of hundred pounds.

Spoiler

The home kits aren't great, and if you get a cheap one they can damage your teeth. I'd reccoment just saving up and getting your dentist to make a mould for you teeth.. then you can buy the chemicals (some sort of peroxide, i cant remember the name) to put into it. It would be worth it.. I'm saving myself (and I have white teeth as it is!)
this is good advice.

otherwise, try arm and hammer baking soda on your toothbrush once or twice a day. it's natural, and won't harm your teeth, but will whiten them.

i also use two whitening toothpastes, and floss every day. and whitening gum every once in awhile, though that may be overkill.

crest whitestrips are pretty good. they may cause some tooth sensitivity, but generally do not have high enough concentrations of anything harmful to damage your teeth. that being said, you don't have to use them twice a day....perhaps once every few days, and then re applying them as needed.

also, if you are a coffee/tea drinker on-the-go, try using a straw. it may look goofy, but it will protect your teeth.

my father is a dentist :wink:

edit: ...and if all else fails: go see your dentist!
Original post by Ilora-Danon
I personally wouldn't recommend ever mixing up your own concoctions. You could easily cause gum damage if you don't know the right measures and concentrations.

I would recommend either saving up to have it done professionally, or not at all.

I have a dentist-made tray and use bleach that I buy from my dentist. I'm yet to actually get round to using it regularly, but it does work. However, the sensitivity issue is annoying but sensodyne does work wonders.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by FoxxyCleopatra
also, if you are a coffee/tea drinker on-the-go, try using a straw. it may look goofy, but it will protect your teeth.

I like this :biggrin:
Reply 13
get a better tooth brush?I get told all the time I have really White teeth so many yours are just naturally a bit off colour :/
Original post by Bleak Lemming
I like this :biggrin:

true story! it works :smile:
Titanium dioxide :biggrin:

That's what is used in toothpastes as the teeth whitening agent, due to its white colour
Reply 16
Go to Homebase, and ask for some white enamel paint.

:getmecoat:
Reply 17

Spoiler

Try bicarbonate of soda and mash up 2 straberries until you have got a paste but lumps are ok. rub on teeth and get a seperate tooth brush to brush it with, then leave it for 5-10 mins every morning then brush with normal or whitening toothpaste. I could see results within 2 weeks...:wink: x
Reply 19
Original post by 786AR
Try bicarbonate of soda and mash up 2 straberries until you have got a paste but lumps are ok. rub on teeth and get a seperate tooth brush to brush it with, then leave it for 5-10 mins every morning then brush with normal or whitening toothpaste. I could see results within 2 weeks...:wink: x

Baking soda is a common one. Although I wouldn't do it everyday, although true that it will make you teeth whiter its a abrasive and it will take your enamal off. I would stick to around once a week with that, otherwise you will get really sensivtive and unaturally shiny teeth once the enamal has come off.

The safest way is the dentist. Try and find out for home cleaning from your dentist, they basically have a mold made out of your teeth and then you apply i think Hydrogen peroxide everynight before you go sleep and it will whiten your teeth. Its really painful during the following day, but it does whiten teeth especially stubborn stains like Tea/Coffee/Cigerettes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending