The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nope, I'm type 1 diabetic too.
Reply 2
They probably decided you didn't need it for a reason, then again though I should be careful saying that. Anything other than condoning a lifetime on benefits is met with extreme hostility on TSR.
Reply 3
Original post by Huskaris
They probably decided you didn't need it for a reason, then again though I should be careful saying that. Anything other than condoning a lifetime on benefits is met with extreme hostility on TSR.

Or perhaps being an ass to a person who quite logically would like to make the uni experience just a bit cheaper is met with extreme hostility on TSR
Try living with diabetes your whole life before you accuse people!
Reply 4
Original post by Xristina
Or perhaps being an ass to a person who quite logically would like to make the uni experience just a bit cheaper is met with extreme hostility on TSR
Try living with diabetes your whole life before you accuse people!

What additional expense will he incur at university as a result of diabetes. Genuinely.. It's like me saying. I was adopted when I was younger, can I please get a grant for university. You need to have an additional expense as a result of that diabetes..

Seriously though, the TSR view of the benefits system is worrying at times. The sense of entitlement that some people on here have is ridiculous.
Reply 5
What additional expense will he incur at university as a result of diabetes. Genuinely.. It's like me saying. I was adopted when I was younger, can I please get a grant for university. You need to have an additional expense as a result of that diabetes..

Seriously though, the TSR view of the benefits system is worrying at times. The sense of entitlement that some people on here have is ridiculous.

People with diabetes need to be extremely careful with their diet. I have seen like a million students on TSR saying that they basically live of noodles and pasta. A diabetic can't do that, they need to have a balanced diet with meat etc. I personally think this is a huge additional expense. And yes, of course everyone would like to have the ability to eat meat every day etc but for these people it's imperative. Pasta is a big no no for diabetics and it's the main meal for most students lol
How is this the same as saying you were adopted? :s-smilie:
Reply 6
having 95% hearing loss, I'm entitled to DLA and DSA but I don't and never have claimed any of them. This is because I feel I can still do the same as most people, just a small barrier to overcome, I don't incure any extra costs because the NHS fund all things to do with my hearing aids and such, so there's no need for me..
Reply 7

Having lived with type 1 for nearly a decade, I can confirm that there are small financial costs. Mostly this comes in the form of anti-hypoglycaemia tablets/drinks (I use at least £15 worth every month, although I run a very tight insulin regime, so I hypo a lot). But there are more subtle costs too, in terms of the kinds of foods you want to be eating, and in what place; this could theoretically be eliminated by careful planning and advance discount shopping in big supermarkets, but in practice it's impossible to pre-plan every meal/snack.
Reply 8
People with diabetes need to be extremely careful with their diet. I have seen like a million students on TSR saying that they basically live of noodles and pasta. A diabetic can't do that, they need to have a balanced diet with meat etc. I personally think this is a huge additional expense. And yes, of course everyone would like to have the ability to eat meat every day etc but for these people it's imperative. Pasta is a big no no for diabetics and it's the main meal for most students lol

What I'm getting at is, if your circumstances lead to you wanting to claim cash, you have to have a financial out of pocket expense in order to be compensated. Diabetes means that you have to eat a good diet, your health can be the reward. I don't think we should be subsidising people to have a "nice diet"
Reply 9

It's easy to eat healthily on a budget as long as you plan your meals and don't get takeaways every day. I make all my meals (apart from breakfast cereal, obviously) and eat plenty of meat, fresh vegetables and fruit and spend £20-£25 a week. If I needed to I could get by on £15-£18 a week.
Reply 10
Original post by jimbles
having 95% hearing loss, I'm entitled to DLA and DSA but I don't and never have claimed any of them. This is because I feel I can still do the same as most people, just a small barrier to overcome, I don't incure any extra costs because the NHS fund all things to do with my hearing aids and such, so there's no need for me..

Run out of rep, message me tomorrow and I will rep.
Original post by King_Duncan
Having lived with type 1 for nearly a decade, I can confirm that there are small financial costs. Mostly this comes in the form of anti-hypoglycaemia tablets/drinks (I use at least £15 worth every month, although I run a very tight insulin regime, so I hypo a lot). But there are more subtle costs too, in terms of the kinds of foods you want to be eating, and in what place; this could theoretically be eliminated by careful planning and advance discount shopping in big supermarkets, but in practice it's impossible to pre-plan every meal/snack.

It's very easy to plan meals, particularly if you shop online: just make a 2 week plan, order the food you want (which helps with budgeting because you can plan to use chicken for 2 meals in a row, etc.) and then eat it!
Reply 12

Take it your diabetic too then... ovcourse there are extra costs involved (some equipment, extra food, travel to and from hospital appointments, pick up prescriptions, lucozade or similar stuff which is still expensive)

I'd say anyone with diabetes would deserve every penny they can get hold of....BUT HEY THATS JUST ME!
what is a jipo?

sounds..:s-smilie:
I am not saying that a diabetic should necessarily get a benefit, all I was saying was that you don't have to be so judgmental of people who have serious conditions and would like some help with them. That's all. Anyway, I live in a country that gives almost no benefits and I see many people suffering from it. I don't know first hand how things are done in the UK but the idea of helping people in need seems good to me. It's a sign of a country that really cares for it's citizens.
Original post by bolton-wfc

Original post by bolton-wfc
Take it your diabetic too then... ovcourse there are extra costs involved (some equipment, extra food, travel to and from hospital appointments, pick up prescriptions, lucozade or similar stuff which is still expensive)

I'd say anyone with diabetes would deserve every penny they can get hold of....BUT HEY THATS JUST ME!

I thought all prescriptions were free for anyone with diabetes. :/
Reply 16
Run out of rep, message me tomorrow and I will rep.

Thanks :smile: I mean, there are a few jobs I can't do, like noisy environment or ones that involve use of telephones and such... but other than that it hasn't ever stopped me playing sports, getting a job, getting a good education and lastly getting into uni :biggrin:

heck, I play American Football, and people are surprised that someone with hearing aids can play cos of the helmets and stuff.. but I'm just showing them it's a small barrier :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by jimbles
Thanks :smile: I mean, there are a few jobs I can't do, like noisy environment or ones that involve use of telephones and such... but other than that it hasn't ever stopped me playing sports, getting a job, getting a good education and lastly getting into uni :biggrin:

heck, I play American Football, and people are surprised that someone with hearing aids can play cos of the helmets and stuff.. but I'm just showing them it's a small barrier :biggrin:

Good lad!
Reply 18
I'm a diabetic who has just started uni. I spend around £5 a week on sugary drinks in order to keep my blood scores high enough. Although, I'm an extreme case who has very bad control! So maybe diabetics spends a LITTLE extra money, but it's not worth trying to claim anything. Ultimately, we are normal people who, if under good control, should have no extra costs.
Original post by angelmxxx
It's very easy to plan meals, particularly if you shop online: just make a 2 week plan, order the food you want (which helps with budgeting because you can plan to use chicken for 2 meals in a row, etc.) and then eat it!

By and large you're right, I certainly have no problems planning 95% of what I eat, but I just wanted to point out that there are occasionally times when you have to spend a bit more for healthy food because you're eating somewhere unexpected and you can't just get something cheap (still less skip a meal).

I'm not necessarily arguing people with type 1 should get DSA/DLA by the way - I've never claimed it, or tried to claim it, myself - but it does annoy me when the difficulties (financial and otherwise) entailed by the condition are downplayed or disparaged by people who don't have it.

Latest

Trending

Trending