The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

University of Kent Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kayeffsee
Am sure it's awesome :biggrin: Incidentally, which side of the debate did you lean more towards? Psychology being a science or the alternative? ^^

And thank youuu :tongue:

Haha, thanks... i hope it is...
Erm, i leanded towards psychology not being a science, found it easier to answer.. not to sure if i believe it or not though...

Your welcome. Did you finish it in time?
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 701
Original post by asha_patel
Haha, thanks... i hope it is...
Erm, i leanded towards psychology not being a science, found it easier to answer.. not to sure if i believe it or not though...

Your welcome. Did you finish it in time?

Ahhh awesome; good luck with it, again :biggrin: and I did just about - had to go out for little sister's birthday meal last night so really had to rush the last paragraph, but think it was okay. Fingers crossed anyway :tongue:
Reply 702
Original post by Nadal1991
ARRGH! Interview on Wed. Panic Mode. Anybody know what I should expect? Advise needed please!

First piece of advice is horrendously hypocritical and silly, but; don't panic - if they're interviewing you, it means they like you already :biggrin:

What course did you apply for? From my experience of interviews, they're mostly laid back, and just try and see what you're like as a person, so act as natural as possible. And don't say 'lol' in your interview :rolleyes:

__

Just firmed Kent :biggrin: Rather excited about doing so.
Insured Kent for English and American Lit with CW and a year abroad. :smile:
Original post by cbigster
Hi! So have I - with the year in Japan as well - Are you choosing Kent as your firm?

No it's not my first or second choice.
Reply 705
Have a lot of people here put down Kent as their firm choice? I'm still undecided between two as my firm, Kent being one of them. I've got a conditional offer to study Philosophy at Kent. Do you all think it's a good place to put down as a firm choice? if anyone has already decided on Kent please could you let me know why you knew it was the place for you!? :smile:
Original post by Vee18
Have a lot of people here put down Kent as their firm choice? I'm still undecided between two as my firm, Kent being one of them. I've got a conditional offer to study Philosophy at Kent. Do you all think it's a good place to put down as a firm choice? if anyone has already decided on Kent please could you let me know why you knew it was the place for you!? :smile:

Yes, firmed a month or so ago. I visited all my choices and Kent was the only one I geniunely thought "this place is sweeeet". I was lucky to get in on interview so firmed it straight after I got accepted. If you haven't visited yet, I advise you do - you won't be disappointed. Everyone there is really sound as well :smile:
Original post by diamonddust
Insured Kent for English and American Lit with CW and a year abroad. :smile:

Make sure you still apply for accomodation though otherwise you'll be stuck.
Reply 708
Original post by Vee18

Ooo, I can definitely answer this :biggrin: Basically, Kent wasn't my first choice originally but I fell in love with it so much more than the other universities that I visited for the following reasons:

+Unsnobby atmosphere-as I'm on my gap year, I've visited a few universities that my friends are at, and the snobbery is kind of stifling at a few of them. The same with some of the unis I received offers from. It was either 'you should be grateful you're here', or were looking down at the old poly uni next to theirs. At Kent, however, I got the impression that they were friendly with Christ Church and I found that a nice change.
+Welcoming-when I went to the visit day, the students were so nice and relaxed.
+Random outbursts-when I went I was in the lunch hall thing on the visit day, a choir burst burst into song which I thought was strange, but kind of cool. Same with the random people dressed as cats...
+Area-not bleak and depressing, like some places, and I could imagine moving out into Canterbury in my second year
+Graduating in Canterbury Cathederal-yes, this was one thing that actually persuaded me to accept :rolleyes: ... I kind of like old buildings...
+Attractive students-yes, again, this was actually a factor. When I went to other unis, I really noticed how attractive Kent students are ^_^ I'm vain, I know.
+Nice campus bars-they look pretty cool compared to others I've seen.
+Near(ish) to London- I live in London, so it makes my life easier.
+Arty place-I'm doing language and linguistics, but I want to go into film, so it seems like a great place to try and become a better film-maker. The film society looks pretty good too.
+Societies-they all look interesting and kind of wacky, which I love.

And a load of other things too, which I'll probably remember later. But I could really see myself at this uni, unlike the others I applied to, and it just suits me. Hope this helped... a bit :colondollar:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by RosieRose
Ooo, I can definitely answer this :biggrin: Basically, Kent wasn't my first choice originally but I fell in love with it so much more than the other universities that I visited for the following reasons:

+Unsnobby atmosphere-as I'm on my gap year, I've visited a few universities that my friends are at, and the snobbery is kind of stifling at a few of them. The same with some of the unis I received offers from. It was either 'you should be grateful you're here', or were looking down at the old poly uni next to theirs. At Kent, however, I got the impression that they were friendly with Christ Church and I found that a nice change.
+Random outbursts-when I went I was in the lunch hall thing on the visit day, a choir burst burst into song which I thought was strange, but kind of cool. Same with the random people dressed as cats...
+Area-not bleak and depressing, like some places, and I could imagine moving out into Canterbury in my second year
+Graduating in Canterbury Cathederal-yes, this was one thing that actually persuaded me to accept :rolleyes: ... I kind of like old buildings...
+Attractive students-yes, again, this was actually a factor. When I went to other unis, I really noticed how attractive Kent students are ^_^ I'm vain, I know.
+Arty place-I'm doing language and linguistics, but I want to go into film, so it seems like a great place to try and become a better film-maker. The film society looks pretty good too.

And a load of other things too, which I'll probably remember later. But I could really see myself at this uni, unlike the others I applied to, and it just suits me. Hope this helped... a bit :colondollar:

Oh really? :holmes:

Yea we don't have a problem with them (I don't anyway, I've made friends with someone at CCCU) but they are our sporting rivals. Especially during Varsity.
So is the general consensus that Kent is an awesome place to go to university? I'm still trying to decide between Lancaster and Kent but in reality I know after endless deliberation that I'll (probably) go for Kent, as I don't want to spend 3/4 years in Lancaster when I'm not even sure I like the place.
Reply 711
Original post by Vee18
Do you all think it's a good place to put down as a firm choice? if anyone has already decided on Kent please could you let me know why you knew it was the place for you!? :smile:

Original post by StefanieLouise
I'm still trying to decide between Lancaster and Kent but in reality I know after endless deliberation that I'll (probably) go for Kent, as I don't want to spend 3/4 years in Lancaster when I'm not even sure I like the place.

These are obviously things you'll have to decide individually, but for me Kent offers a great course within a great department. Overall, the university seems quite relaxed. Certain departments are better than others, as is expected, but it doesn't seem to smother people with academic incentives too much! It's far away enough for me to have independence from my family, but it's close enough so that I visit them when I need to which was really important to me.. and, well, it's in a really pretty town!

My main motivations for choosing Kent was the location, really. Some of the other universities I'd looked at were better academically (at least in my department) but were far, far worse aesthetically. I know there are plenty of people who moan about the outdated buildings on campus, but my main concern was the surrounding area. I don't want to live somewhere for three years just because I happen to go to university there. For me, personally, the city has some amazing academic opportunities - but regardless of that, Canterbury is one of the nicest university towns I've come across :rolleyes:
I got the impression that they were friendly with Christ Church and I found that a nice change.

I do agree with all the other things you said. But you should be warned that CCCU are not always so friendly with us! We have been subject to chanting when we were in bars etc. ("I'd rather be a poly than a ****", and "Shove Daddy's wallet up your ***" - How that works I'm not entirely sure when we pay exactly the same as the Christ Churchers :/).

I'm sure that the vast majority of them are nice! I've got friends from there, personally. But it can get a bit vicious - usually after drink is involved I would imagine. During Varsity in particular the rivalry heats up!
Original post by saaail
These are obviously things you'll have to decide individually, but for me Kent offers a great course within a great department. Overall, the university seems quite relaxed. Certain departments are better than others, as is expected, but it doesn't seem to smother people with academic incentives too much! It's far away enough for me to have independence from my family, but it's close enough so that I visit them when I need to which was really important to me.. and, well, it's in a really pretty town!

My main motivations for choosing Kent was the location, really. Some of the other universities I'd looked at were better academically (at least in my department) but were far, far worse aesthetically. I know there are plenty of people who moan about the outdated buildings on campus, but my main concern was the surrounding area. I don't want to live somewhere for three years just because I happen to go to university there. For me, personally, the city has some amazing academic opportunities - but regardless of that, Canterbury is one of the nicest university towns I've come across :rolleyes:

I've applied for English Literature which Kent seems to be ranked reasonably highly for so that's not at all a concern. It's rather far away from my hometown actually but I'd never really considered location to be a barrier - clearly, since I applied to Aberdeen haha. :tongue:

Those are my thoughts exactly - if I wasn't going to university and I was given the choice to live in either Lancaster or Canterbury, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to chose Canterbury. In fact, disregarding the overall university league tables where Lancaster has mysteriously jumped to six, they're both fairly evenly ranked. So I guess I just solved my own dilemma there.

...just firmed Kent. :biggrin:
Reply 714
Those are my thoughts exactly - if I wasn't going to university and I was given the choice to live in either Lancaster or Canterbury, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to chose Canterbury. In fact, disregarding the overall university league tables where Lancaster has mysteriously jumped to six, they're both fairly evenly ranked. So I guess I just solved my own dilemma there.

Screw the league tables, the cobbled streets and nearby beaches more than make up for that :tongue: Hooray for firming Kent!
Original post by saaail
Screw the league tables, the cobbled streets and nearby beaches more than make up for that :tongue: Hooray for firming Kent!

Now it's just the anticipation and Student Finance to get through. Hooray for anticipation and administration!
I want to firm Kent now - other people firming are making me jealous!
God damn my other choices for taking so long to reply....

I'm getting so excited to go visit again in April :biggrin:
Visit day tomorrow, rather excited. Anyone else got their's tomorrow?
Reply 718
Original post by beffnee
I do agree with all the other things you said. But you should be warned that CCCU are not always so friendly with us! We have been subject to chanting when we were in bars etc. ("I'd rather be a poly than a ****", and "Shove Daddy's wallet up your ***" - How that works I'm not entirely sure when we pay exactly the same as the Christ Churchers :/).

I'm sure that the vast majority of them are nice! I've got friends from there, personally. But it can get a bit vicious - usually after drink is involved I would imagine. During Varsity in particular the rivalry heats up!

Oh, oops lol. At least now i've been warned! :biggrin:
Original post by Loz17
Make sure you still apply for accomodation though otherwise you'll be stuck.

Don't worry, I applied months ago! It's like my subconcious knew Kent would be my insurance. :biggrin:

I like this post!
Annnnddd... Kent have a musical theatre soc. I'm not ashamed to say that's part of the reason I chose Kent over Lancaster! I will be in a musical at least once in my life dammit!
I noticed really good looking people at the open day too! Nice little perk...

Original post by saaail

I really liked Canterbury when I visited. Part of me is kicking myself for rejecting Lancaster without visiting because it looked quite nice but considering the hassle and the price... I couldn't do that every term. I want to be close-ish to London and Lancaster is a bit far.
Can I be nosy and ask what sort of academic opportunities Canterbury offer? I suppose I already have... :tongue:
I've applied for English Literature which Kent seems to be ranked reasonably highly for so that's not at all a concern. It's rather far away from my hometown actually but I'd never really considered location to be a barrier - clearly, since I applied to Aberdeen haha. :tongue:

It is really funny how Lancaster randomly went up in the league tables... :rolleyes:
Canterbury is beautiful... I have a thing for cobbled streets.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending