The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by sommatime88
2:1's are the cool people's 1sts, they're for the clever people who know they're clever but choose to spend Uni having fun and not sitting at there desk being lame. I've heard a lot of people also say that some companies even prefer 2:1's to 1sts as it shows people have both intelligence and personality, wheras 1st's may be squares. Twisted logic and probably bull**** but it makes me feel better that I'm getting a 2:1. Ha. At the end of the day most jobs will only require a 2:1, not having a first wont rule you out of many jobs at all. And a 2:1 won't rule you out of many interview situations either so just impress them at interviews, you wont get a job solely by your degree classification.

Even though getting a first doesn't necessarily mean sacrificing your social life? :wtf:

I've achieved firsts in my work and I'm still doing a lot of EC stuff. Heck, I run a sodding society and still find the time to put in the right amount of effort. It's all about working smart not slaving away in library for hours on end.
Reply 21
If you get a 1st in Media studies and some other guy gets a 2.1 in Computer Science, the computer science graduate will have many more graduate opportunities than the media studies grad. Classification doesn't mean everything, the value of your degree to the job market is what counts.
Original post by sbarron
I thought firsts were actually pretty common? At my uni we were told more people get a 1st than a 3rd

At most of the top unis usually no more than 15% get a First. On average it was around 12-13% at QM for my course. I think more than a third is extremely rare (perhaps it depends on the subject). Which university was it?
How do you think people who got 2.2s feel? Please be a little more sensitive to other people's feelings.
All I know is that hardly anyone on my course gets a 1:1, so a 2:1 is just as good for us.
Surely most people get 2.1s, so lots of smart people will get one.
People who got firsts during my undergrad and MSc didn't sacrifice their social lives in any way.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
All I know is that hardly anyone on my course gets a 1:1, so a 2:1 is just as good for us.

There is no such thing as a 1:1 :frown:

Getting a 2:1 is a decent grade and nothing to be ashamed of :s-smilie:
The amount of work required for a First compared to a 2:1 is often a huge increase. A 2:1 is the ideal degree class really - it puts you in the top 50% of graduates (so the top 25% of the population, at least academically and as a rough guide) but whilst it requires research and work on your part, you still have time to do things outside of work.

A 2:2 or Third is frankly worthless if you're hunting for a job.
Reply 29
Whether a 2:1 or a first or a third.

It's good luck getting a job, and btw, there aren't any.
Reply 30
Original post by Tommyjw
A first is reserved for the smartest of people on your course, maybe like 5-15% of people? depends on uni and course obviously.

A 2:1 is a very good grade .

The trouble is, a 2:1 is deemed pretty good, but a 2:2 is deemed essentially worthless most of the time, the steps down are big, just be glad you didn't get a 2:2 ;D

I think a 2.2 depends on uni and course as well. I mean if you have a 2.2 in a difficult subkject like Economics, Maths of Physics from a top uni, it counts for something, I mean its respectable, not particularly good though. However, if its from South Bank poly in Media, not so great I think.
Original post by EierVonSatan
There is no such thing as a 1:1 :frown:

I beg your pardon, I thought it was a quicker way of writing a first. :tongue:
Reply 32
Original post by yashradia
Does it look bad to tell people you got 2:1 knowing you fall between average and clever line? Does one have to be shy to tell that?

I just got my coursework grade today and i am no way going to get 1st now :frown: feel so down and gutted with myself:frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:

2.1 is good, generally goes like this:-

1st: excellent
2.1: very good
2.2: ok
3rd: poor
2:1's are the cool people's 1sts, they're for the clever people who know they're clever but choose to spend Uni having fun and not sitting at there desk being lame.

A student sitting at their* desk. IMAGINE THAT. A STUDENT. STUDYING. AT A UNIVERSITY. IMAGINE IT. SERIOUSLY. WOW. INCREDIBLE.

And here was me thinking all students were just people who go out to DA CLUBS and have TEH BANTERS. Here was me thinking the etymology of the word "student" itself shows conclusive evidence that it was a Greek derivative of "drunk". Here was me thinking that the most important aspect of UNIVERSITY (via universitas magistrorum et scholarium -- "community of masters and scholars") is DA SOCIAL LIFE!1! and DA GIRLS LOLL!1

And now you say that there are students who sit at DESKS. And STUDY. This is a scary thought. How "lame"! Lol! What's that all about?! Bet they've never even necked a lass. xD
Original post by babygirl110
How do you think people who got 2.2s feel? Please be a little more sensitive to other people's feelings.

I'm sure it wasn't meant offensively. If the OP doesn't feel he's done his personal best then obviously he's not gonna be happy about it and he should be able to express that. Everyone has a different idea of what a good grade means to them.
Original post by hannah_dru
I'm sure it wasn't meant offensively. If the OP doesn't feel he's done his personal best then obviously he's not gonna be happy about it and he should be able to express that. Everyone has a different idea of what a good grade means to them.

I'm sure he didn't mean it in an offensive way that's why I kindly pointed out that he should be sensitive towards other people's feelings because he might be ignorant to the fact that this may offend not just people who got 2.1s but also those who got 2.2s.

I got a 2.1 for my undergrad and Merit for my MSc, his question does not offend me in any way because I'm proud of my grades. However, I know some people who got 2.2s and it's generally insensitive for people to be boasting about their grades or complaining about not having gotten firsts. The OP's post implies that people might consider him not so clever because he got a 2.1, what more of people who got 2.2s?

I've never come across anyone asking such an idiotic question. When has a 2.1 been frowned upon? The OP has 6 negs for a reason.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Pedrobear
A student sitting at their* desk. IMAGINE THAT. A STUDENT. STUDYING. AT A UNIVERSITY. IMAGINE IT. SERIOUSLY. WOW. INCREDIBLE.

I didn't mention anything about not studying, and if you read the original post it's about someone worrying about getting a 2:1. The gist of my comment was a light hearted attempt to show the person its not bad to get a 2:1, and if you actually took time to read the whole thread I've said I respect anyone that can get a 1st as its a good achievement and its something I won't achieve, and I know plenty of friends who have gained 1sts and made the most of uni. Maybe I could have but I haven't worked hard enough and in the end I'll be happy with my 2:1 and so should whoever originally posted. So thanks for your really useful reply I'm sure it has really put the original posters mind at ease with its total relevance to her question. It's the kind of people like you who spend time creating posts with the sole purpose of gaining online friends and kudos with a lame attempt at "teh banter" that I worry about, degree or no degree.
blahblalbhablhb

You appear quite mad.
Original post by Pedrobear
You appear quite mad.

I've given you some REP for your obvious wit!!! You can sleep well tonight.
I've given you some REP for your obvious wit!!! You can sleep well tonight.

What's on your mind? Let's talk.