The Student Room Group

GCSE English equivalent courses

Hi,

Is there any course which is flexible and can be done at home and is equal to GCSE English? I need to get this asap. I'm applying for PGCE starting 2011. Is a learn direct Level 2 English course equal to GCSE English? I have been told by the birmingham uni that I will have to take a test @ www.equivalencytesting.com. which they say is equal to GCSE english level 'C'. But this test fee is beyond my capacity(£180). I was told by the Learn Direct advisers that their Level" English course is equivalent to GCSE English? Could any one comment on this please?

My problem is I have my qualifications from India, which NARIC said are comparable to British taught Degree and Masters and my secondary school leaving certificate too is equal to UK GCSE, except that the English tested at Secondary school leaving exam is below UK GCSE Standard. But, they haven't commented on the English that I have studied at Junior college which is equal to GCE advanced Subsidiary level and English studied at Degree level. And somehow I cannot make the Birmingham University think logically and assess and decide that the English I've studied either at AS Level Equivalent or Degree is comparable to or somewhere equals GCSE English. They are coming up with only one answer, that I should pay £180 to www.equivalencytesting.com. otherwise they may or may not accept my application. I have asked them to suggets to me some other economical alternative. But, haven't heard from them yet. Can somebody advise me any other alternatives please or any advise.

Thanks in advance
GCSE English
Reply 1
In terms of widely-recognised and established English language tests, TOEFL springs to mind - http://www.ets.org/toefl/

I am not sure if this is quite equivalent to the GCSE English for Birmingham, but do email and ask! I do know that most employers and degrees which want proof of English language competency accept this.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Hey could u let me know what u did. I m too stuck in same situation. Please mail me. Waiting desperately for Ur reply.
TOEFL and IELTS are standard English language tests accepted at most unis all over the world. They do have a fee though.
Reply 4
Original post by Poonamtapre
Hey could u let me know what u did. I m too stuck in same situation. Please mail me. Waiting desperately for Ur reply.

Hello Poonam.
Did you get an answer? I too want to do the same. I am a ' last minute student' so want to do it asap..
Please let me know as well ....

Mart
Reply 5
Hi,
How did you crack your English equivalency test?? I am an Indian too..
In the same situation...
Please help.
I have spoken to equivalencytesting.com. But don't know how hard their exam is..

Mart
Reply 6

Hi poonam, I simply did an evening gcse English course. Because, I couldn't, get into any pgce that year and thought I might as well do gcse itself which is far less - about £300. Also it could be of more use if one decides to settle in any other country too. Equivalency tests are a rip off for their costs and usability. Having said that, if one is desperate to get one probably equivalency tests are ok. Even then ielts, toefl etc of such cohort should be preferred. This is just my personal opinion.

Ps: sorry for the rate reply, it has been a long time I haven't checked TSR.
Hello, I am writing quite few years later but on the same position and if you could share your experience would be great. How though was that Equivalent test in English? Does uni give you that test on the interview day and how to prepare for it? What is looks like? Thank you
Reply 8
HI This is Tiza hereI am here in exactly in same situation , can you please help us based on your experienceplease email us it is urgent - PM me
My advice is for people who has no GCSE backgrounds at all, but has to provide GCSE English equivalency grade: 1. To take Equivalency Testing Centre course. It is worth of the money for a quick result. It takes up to 12 weeks to complete, covers all areas tested. I finished in two months. You are allocated a tutor who gives feedbacks on your homework. 2. To make good use of Mr Bruff resource, 'mrbruff.com'. There are plenty video clips on YouTube. 3. To go through BBC Bitesize website. It is like a text book, with key notes only including the basic knowledge.
Good luck to everyone.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by myenglish
Hi,

Is there any course which is flexible and can be done at home and is equal to GCSE English? I need to get this asap. I'm applying for PGCE starting 2011. Is a learn direct Level 2 English course equal to GCSE English? I have been told by the birmingham uni that I will have to take a test @ www.equivalencytesting.com. which they say is equal to GCSE english level 'C'. But this test fee is beyond my capacity(£180). I was told by the Learn Direct advisers that their Level" English course is equivalent to GCSE English? Could any one comment on this please?

My problem is I have my qualifications from India, which NARIC said are comparable to British taught Degree and Masters and my secondary school leaving certificate too is equal to UK GCSE, except that the English tested at Secondary school leaving exam is below UK GCSE Standard. But, they haven't commented on the English that I have studied at Junior college which is equal to GCE advanced Subsidiary level and English studied at Degree level. And somehow I cannot make the Birmingham University think logically and assess and decide that the English I've studied either at AS Level Equivalent or Degree is comparable to or somewhere equals GCSE English. They are coming up with only one answer, that I should pay £180 to www.equivalencytesting.com. otherwise they may or may not accept my application. I have asked them to suggets to me some other economical alternative. But, haven't heard from them yet. Can somebody advise me any other alternatives please or any advise.

Thanks in advance
GCSE English

Hi,
I would like to know how did you do eventually because I am also in the exact similar situation.My SSLC English is given a D by NARIC in spite of high marks stating they always give a D for that qualification because it's not recognised.But at the same time my degree and post graduation has no problem.
Original post by nikimenon
Hi,
I would like to know how did you do eventually because I am also in the exact similar situation.My SSLC English is given a D by NARIC in spite of high marks stating they always give a D for that qualification because it's not recognised.But at the same time my degree and post graduation has no problem.

Hi, I am facing the same problem(SSC-Maharashtra) but I still haven't submitted to Naric cause I know that they might grade me a 'D' too... By any chance did u submit your class 12 grades too... Did they equate class 12 english with gcse english at least?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending