The Student Room Group

Should I put a higher offer as insurance?

So basically I applied for three courses at birmingham and one at aston

I got ABB for aston
and BBB for birmingham

As you can see I'm keen on birmingham sooooo.

I'll be putting one of those courses as firm

should I put Aston course as insurance or another birmingham course?
Reply 1
If u firm a BBB choice and you put higher for Insurance .... what is the point in that?
Original post by Deema
If you absolutely want to go to birmingham then firm it, but putting aston down as your insurance is useless becauseonce you firm a choice you're in a legal contract with them stating that you will attend the university or be fined the tuition fee amount for backing out and going for another uni. So if it gets to results day and you get ABB and decide you want to go to aston you may find they 1) don't have any places left and 2)birmingham will not be happy with you.

Your insurance is something to fall back on, you cant just pick and choose.

I definately want birmingham but I was thinking maybe if I get lower than a BBB aston may be more lenient with me?

I never wanted aston in the first place.
Original post by Destroyviruses

I got ABB for aston
and BBB for birmingham

Weelll... if you dont get the grades for your first choice, you wont get your insurance so probs best to put a lower grade requirment!!! :P

I got ABB for aston
and BBB for birmingham

Do all of your offers from Birmingham require BBB? If so, put one of them down as your firm and another as your insurance- that way they will know that you are really keen to go there and perhaps will be more lenient if you just miss the grades.

x

If Aston is your 2nd favourite then put that one.
If you get ABC or AAC or any variation with a C you've missed both offers, but both of them only by one grade. Birmingham might not want you and give you a rejection, but Aston might.

Don't listen to what all the people are saying about having a "higher" insurance choice than your firm.... loads of people do it and its perfectly common.
Reply 6
If you really want to go to Bham and dont want to go to Aston then why not firm Bham and insure one of your other Bham offers?
Reply 7
that's retarded because an insurance is there to increase the likelihood you'll go somewhere if your results are lower than expected (or lower than offered by firm).
Original post by Broderss

that's retarded because an insurance is there to increase the likelihood you'll go somewhere if your results are lower than expected (or lower than offered by firm).

Your insurance is there as a 2nd chance to get into university without going through clearing. It needs to be your 2nd choice which isn't necessarily somewhere with a lower offer and as I pointed out (and have done in many identical threads) there are loads of situations where you can miss your firm offer and your insurance will let you in but your firm will not. Grades mean nothing as it all depends on how many other people meet/fail to meet the offer as to whether you get a place after you've missed your grades.

It'd be far more "retarded" to have somewhere as your insurance you didn't want to go to but put it down just because they had a lower offer.
Reply 9
Original post by Deema
If you absolutely want to go to birmingham then firm it, but putting aston down as your insurance is useless becauseonce you firm a choice you're in a legal contract with them stating that you will attend the university or be fined the tuition fee amount for backing out and going for another uni. So if it gets to results day and you get ABB and decide you want to go to aston you may find they 1) don't have any places left and 2)birmingham will not be happy with you.

Your insurance is something to fall back on, you cant just pick and choose.

Where are you getting this from? :confused: They can't fine you!
Reply 10
Original post by oxymoronic
Your insurance is there as a 2nd chance to get into university without going through clearing. It needs to be your 2nd choice which isn't necessarily somewhere with a lower offer and as I pointed out (and have done in many identical threads) there are loads of situations where you can miss your firm offer and your insurance will let you in but your firm will not. Grades mean nothing as it all depends on how many other people meet/fail to meet the offer as to whether you get a place after you've missed your grades.

It'd be far more "retarded" to have somewhere as your insurance you didn't want to go to but put it down just because they had a lower offer.

You won't be rejected by your firm because too many people have reached their offer, you will be rejected because you failed to meet your offer and there were no places for you because they've been taken by others who had your course as insurance and have higher grades than you. You won't be able to go to your insurance unless your grades were lower than you expected and lower than your firm offer, thus if your insurance is higher that your firm your only chance of getting accepted is if your insurance course is under-subscribed.

Therefore it is retarded to accept an insurance offer with a higher grade requirement than your firm, because then it's down to chance whether you will be accepted.
(edited 13 years ago)

You won't be able to go to your insurance unless your grades were lower than you expected and lower than your firm offer, thus if your insurance is higher that your firm your only chance of getting accepted is if your insurance course is under-subscribed.

There are loads of examples of where people have failed to make their firm offer but have been accepted into their insurance, despite it technically requiring higher grades.

For example, its a BBB offer. You can get ABC/AAC or some sort of variation of this and fail to get into your firm. However, your insurance was ABB or AAB and you've still only missed the offer by one grade (if we're looking at a AAB offer in the case of AAC) meaning they still might let you in. Some universities will not budge on offers, with Edinburgh being the typical example whereby getting AAC is not considered the same as BBB. Many other universities however would more than happily accept someone with AAC for an offer of AAB or ABB.

As I said, its far more stupid to accept an offer as an insurance choice on the basis of grades alone. Yes, you'll have a "guaranteed" place but if it isn't what you want then you'll probably end up dropping out which is just a waste of money. If your insurance has lower grades, great, but if it doesn't then it isn't the end of the world. For a lot of people, this simply isn't possible anyway. For example, my favourite choice also gave me the lowest offer.

I got ABB for aston
and BBB for birmingham

If you are completely keen on Birmingham and are applying for several courses then I'd suggest putting two Birmingham courses down. If you would rather do the second course at Birmingham than go to Aston at all.

I'm having a similar dilemma of my own. I don't know whether to put York or East Anglia as my insurance as York have given me an AAB offer and East Anglia's is three AAAs. However, I don't like York particularly...

P.S. I absolutely love your signature. :smile:
Reply 13
Well, I put Liverpool as my firm and Birmingham as insurance even though I need higher grades for the second. I know there's no point in that but from all offers liverpool had the lowest requirements + I really loved the city and the university and I am pretty sure I will get the grades.

So, if Birmingham is the place for you and you are certain you can achieve BBB then go for it and choose one insurance, it doesn't really matter which one. :smile:
Original post by katprocrastinate
If you are completely keen on Birmingham and are applying for several courses then I'd suggest putting two Birmingham courses down. If you would rather do the second course at Birmingham than go to Aston at all.

I'm having a similar dilemma of my own. I don't know whether to put York or East Anglia as my insurance as York have given me an AAB offer and East Anglia's is three AAAs. However, I don't like York particularly...

P.S. I absolutely love your signature. :smile:

Thankyou! :blush: (about the signature comment)

The courses are very similar . So im worried theyll have the same attitude to me if I miss my offer. 1. Chemistry
2.Chemistry with pharmacology
Both BBB
Original post by oxymoronic
There are loads of examples of where people have failed to make their firm offer but have been accepted into their insurance, despite it technically requiring higher grades.

For example, its a BBB offer. You can get ABC/AAC or some sort of variation of this and fail to get into your firm. However, your insurance was ABB or AAB and you've still only missed the offer by one grade (if we're looking at a AAB offer in the case of AAC) meaning they still might let you in. Some universities will not budge on offers, with Edinburgh being the typical example whereby getting AAC is not considered the same as BBB. Many other universities however would more than happily accept someone with AAC for an offer of AAB or ABB.

As I said, its far more stupid to accept an offer as an insurance choice on the basis of grades alone. Yes, you'll have a "guaranteed" place but if it isn't what you want then you'll probably end up dropping out which is just a waste of money. If your insurance has lower grades, great, but if it doesn't then it isn't the end of the world. For a lot of people, this simply isn't possible anyway. For example, my favourite choice also gave me the lowest offer.

I dont really like Aston so

Should I just pick, chemistry firm and chemistry with pharmacology insurance ? both at bham both BBB.
Will they consider these courses seperately or as one? Since theyre so similar?

Should I just pick, chemistry firm and chemistry with pharmacology insurance ? both at bham both BBB.

If chemistry is your first choice have that one first, then have the other one second.

If you've applied for them as separate courses then they're different and will be considered separately, meaning it could be that they fill all of their places on one of the courses with people who meet their offer but they have room on the other. You are in a lucky situation in that once you arrive, on which ever course you end up on, you might be able to switch to the other course anyway if that was the one you preferred as they are similar, although this isn't guaranteed.

No harm in trying- it gives you double the chance of getting in! :smile:
Original post by Pheebs1201
No harm in trying- it gives you double the chance of getting in! :smile:

Ok. :smile: Just home they dont *select all + reject*me

Quick Reply

Latest