The Student Room Group

Event tonight - dress code says 'formal' ...

What would that mean...? Black tie or business attire?

It's not a wedding, it's not a dinner party, it's not a dinner etc. It's just an awards ceremony for two hours over drinks and canapes at the offices of a law firm...

Black tie or not?

Scroll to see replies

Probably, have you asked anyone else on the guest list? Best to double check.
Reply 2
Sounds black tie to me.
Black tie
Reply 4
Just wear whatever you want. Dress codes are outdated forms of hierarchal repression.
Original post by Rant
Just wear whatever you want. Dress codes are outdated forms of hierarchal repression.

you seem like the type to rant to his parents about being an anarcho-syndicalist and how clothes are an oppressive burden that suppress our freedom. BUT BY ALL MEANS OP, just chuck on your gig-attendance converses - the ones covered in mud and piss - and some skinny jeans, maybe a fake leather jacket and some £4 replica shades and you'll look the shiz.
Ask someone else who's going? Sounds black tie, but how significant is the event - it one of the bigger events of the firm's calendar? I'd say try to go halfway, so maybe on the dressier side of business.
Original post by lesbionic
What would that mean...? Black tie or business attire?

It's not a wedding, it's not a dinner party, it's not a dinner etc. It's just an awards ceremony for two hours over drinks and canapes at the offices of a law firm...

Black tie or not?

Black tie... but maybe not literally a black tie, if u want to look less formal :P
Black tie. Tie it really tight around your dick, then hopefully it will drop off.
Reply 9
Personally, I would expect that if they wanted you in black tie they would explicitly state that, and therefore that formal would simply mean business suits. However, (assuming you're a guy as it's easier to tread the line in between for girls) if you want to avoid getting it wrong, just ask someone else who's going.
Reply 10
Original post by bacforever3
Black tie... but maybe not literally a black tie, if u want to look less formal :P

But it's just an awards ceremony for a relatively small society (pro bono) at my university, and they are holding the two hour event at Linklaters (a law firm). Normally on the law firm open days or drinks evenings, you just wear business suits... not black tie tuxedos... I don't know anyone else who is going...
Reply 11
Original post by Helenia
Personally, I would expect that if they wanted you in black tie they would explicitly state that, and therefore that formal would simply mean business suits. However, (assuming you're a guy as it's easier to tread the line in between for girls) if you want to avoid getting it wrong, just ask someone else who's going.

That is what I thought - other law events always state black tie... not just 'formal' and the law open days I've been on everyone just wears business suits, obviously.

Reply 12
Original post by Crocodile, M.D.
you seem like the type to rant to his parents about being an anarcho-syndicalist and how clothes are an oppressive burden that suppress our freedom. BUT BY ALL MEANS OP, just chuck on your gig-attendance converses - the ones covered in mud and piss - and some skinny jeans, maybe a fake leather jacket and some £4 replica shades and you'll look the shiz.

You seem like the type to get hit in the face.
wear a Burka? It's appropriate for all occasions?
Reply 14
Lounge suit
Reply 15
Not sure why this is in H&R, but traditionally:

Formal = White tie
"Semi-formal" = Black tie
Informal = (Lounge) suit

However, in this day and age, "formal" can pretty much mean anything. Black tie is probably the safest choice (you might be overdressed, but the invitation was ambiguous enough to excuse it).
Reply 16
Original post by rmanoj
Not sure why this is in H&R, but traditionally:

Formal = White tie
"Semi-formal" = Black tie
Informal = (Lounge) suit

However, in this day and age, "formal" can pretty much mean anything. Black tie is probably the safest choice (you might be overdressed, but the invitation was ambiguous enough to excuse it).

Yeahh, people suck at formality these days. You will be surprised how many people turn up to black tie in lounge suits (even when explicitly stated)! I would have said black tie, but for some reason the claim that it is in a law firm's offices made me change my mind..

P.S. The occassion certainly does not merit White tie (and is not synonymous with formal)!! White tie definitely needs to be explicitly stated.
Reply 17
Original post by ForKicks

P.S. The occassion certainly does not merit White tie (and is not synonymous with formal)!! White tie definitely needs to be explicitly stated.

Haha, I know (back in the day, "formal" did automatically imply White tie or Morning dress, depending on the time), . I just put that in for completeness.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by rmanoj
Haha, I know (back in the day, "formal" did automatically imply White tie or Morning dress, depending on the time), . I just put that in for completeness.

I wish there were more white tie events :frown:
Reply 19
Original post by ForKicks
I wish there were more white tie events :frown:

Of course. The apex of male elegance:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending