The Student Room Group

The Reading/Leeds Festival Thread 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Swell
Them Crooked Vultures?

I'm prettys sure they will play. You know what Melvins like with his exclusivity, he didn't want Muse last year because they were playing a lot of other Festivals. Melvin will want Foo's all to himself and he probably knew that wasn't going to happen this year. And Dave recently announced again that he'd love to be back at R+L in the near future.

Lets just hope hes saved some dollar by announcing the shoddy (in my opinion) lineup this year.
Reply 321
I don't understand the flak MCR are getting. I don't think that they should headline either, but the same **** happens every year. In '10, Arcade Fire ahead of people like The Libertines, Weezer, Lost Prophets.... It happens. I think '09 is the only year in (relatively) recently history where I don't think anybody could have argued with the headliners/2nds. Artictic Monkeys/The Prodigy; Radiohead/Bloc Party; Kings Of Leon/Kaiser Chiefs. IMO '09 was one of the best lineups in recent history, but each to their own. '08 had good headliners/2nds too.
Original post by Beska
I don't understand the flak MCR are getting. I don't think that they should headline either, but the same **** happens every year. In '10, Arcade Fire ahead of people like The Libertines, Weezer, Lost Prophets.... It happens. I think '09 is the only year in (relatively) recently history where I don't think anybody could have argued with the headliners/2nds. Artictic Monkeys/The Prodigy; Radiohead/Bloc Party; Kings Of Leon/Kaiser Chiefs. IMO '09 was one of the best lineups in recent history, but each to their own. '08 had good headliners/2nds too.

I agree, it is a bit unfair. They were asked, and they accepted. Any flak should be directed at Festival republic. Last year with Arcade fire was again questionable. As was the thought that Guns n Roses would turn up on time
Original post by lozz2601
this is where those of us who actually diversify and listen to more than one genre of music win :smile:

edit: thought I'd better clarify this. my point is that if you're coming in here and saying it's **** a) that's offensive to those of us who are actually please and b) if it's because you don't know the bands then maybe you should try and widen your tastes a bit (because clearly a lot of them are fairly large bands so it's not out of the question).

if you don't like the line-up because you genuinely don't LIKE the bands then fair enough. but if it's a case of ignorance then it's not really a problem with the line-up...

Completely agree. Jeez they havnen't announced LOADS of bands yet - you've got the rest on the alt and FR stages and then there's all of the dance and lock up! :rage:

If none of it is to your taste then fair enough but I don't think people should be allowed to come in to this thread and slate others for going to the festival when perhaps some of us go for the overall experience and all of the other tents that haven't been released etc etc.

Hence why i'm volunteering.

Everyone bitched last year when Arcade Fire were headlining and then they MADE the festival IMO (imo!).
Original post by Beska

Then again, I ended up having a better time watching the headliners at '10 than at '09 (radiohead excluded - and I need to point out this was at reading too) as KoL threw a tantrum on stage because they couldn't hear the crowd (due to the way the wind was travelling! which despite all the dust they didn't appreciate) and threw guitars into the stage and walked off, and the arctic monkeys lacked something and generally seemed unimpressed throughout.
Oh and finally - is this the fourth year running that enter shikari and crystal castles have played?
Reply 326
Original post by Melting Sugar.
Then again, I ended up having a better time watching the headliners at '10 than at '09 (radiohead excluded - and I need to point out this was at reading too) as KoL threw a tantrum on stage because they couldn't hear the crowd (due to the way the wind was travelling! which despite all the dust they didn't appreciate) and threw guitars into the stage and walked off, and the arctic monkeys lacked something and generally seemed unimpressed throughout.

I enjoyed the headliners more at '10 purely because of Blink (tbh I didn't even watch Arcade Fire/GnR, the former because I didn't like them and the latter because I knew they were going to pull some bull**** and I can't stand their "i'm too good for this" crap.) - but I enjoyed '09 because I enjoyed watching the headliners everyday. Kings of Leon were quite good at Leeds, and I don't really like Radiohead but they were O.K. and Arctic Monkeys were quite good as well.

Just to point out that I was well looking forward to Paramore in '10, but the fact that I couldn't hear what they were saying, combined with the fact that I got crushed to **** with everybody piling in ready to see Blink, made it one of the worst live acts ever.

KOL were total arses that year - I was really looking forward to seeing them too! Was wondering if they might turn up again what with new album but praps they thought better of it...

Original post by Beska
I enjoyed the headliners more at '10 purely because of Blink (tbh I didn't even watch Arcade Fire/GnR, the former because I didn't like them and the latter because I knew they were going to pull some bull**** and I can't stand their "i'm too good for this" crap.) - but I enjoyed '09 because I enjoyed watching the headliners everyday. Kings of Leon were quite good at Leeds, and I don't really like Radiohead but they were O.K. and Arctic Monkeys were quite good as well.

Just to point out that I was well looking forward to Paramore in '10, but the fact that I couldn't hear what they were saying, combined with the fact that I got crushed to **** with everybody piling in ready to see Blink, made it one of the worst live acts ever.

It's such a shame about Paramore because I've seen them on form and when they are they're really something. The sound wasn't greattt at Reading but better by all accounts than Leeds (which is crap, because after everyone's paid all that money you deserve proper sound!). The crowd was PACKED though and clearly by Blink fans cos many people just looked bored (which is annoying cos y'know don't put a downer on my mood lol!)
Original post by Beska

I didn't see Blink (those I was camping with got stuck outside when they'd closed the gate so they had to walk around to the main enterance and get completely searched before they were allowed in and we'd told them we'd gurard their stuff till they got back) and then like you I knew GnR would pull some stunt so wasn't surprised when those that did go all the way to see them came back v angry! But I had a good time watching Arcade Fire.
Reply 329
Original post by lozz2601
It's such a shame about Paramore because I've seen them on form and when they are they're really something. The sound wasn't greattt at Reading but better by all accounts than Leeds (which is crap, because after everyone's paid all that money you deserve proper sound!). The crowd was PACKED though and clearly by Blink fans cos many people just looked bored (which is annoying cos y'know don't put a downer on my mood lol!)

The Leeds crowd couldn't hear what Hayley was saying at all and I was 1-2 rows from the front (hence why it hurt so much when I was crushed by 40,000 people haha) - the combination of 1) people not being able to hear and 2) people who came only to see Blink meant that the crowd was just chanting "get your tits out for the lads" or whatever - I mean, it was pretty funny but it would have annoyed me if it ruined the gig, but like, the gig was terrible anyway....
Original post by ily_em
Oxfam? :ninja:

Action Aid's *******S TO POVERTY =D

Original post by Beska
FRANKKKK TURNERRRR ... Main Stage edition! :teeth:

:woo:
Reply 331
Original post by greeneyedgirl
:woo:

VERY excited! But Main Stage is a completely different kettle of fish to a tent (I prefer the latter tbh) - I hope he can pull it off.
Original post by Beska
VERY excited! But Main Stage is a completely different kettle of fish to a tent (I prefer the latter tbh) - I hope he can pull it off.

I prefer later as well, but it'll be amazing having so many people singing his songs back to him!
Reply 333
Original post by greeneyedgirl
I prefer later as well, but it'll be amazing having so many people singing his songs back to him!

:excited:
I'm finally gonna be 18 for a festival. It's going to be inevitably messy.
I agree with whoever said about Paramore not being great last year. I saw them play the main stage at 11am a good few years ago (before they were famous) and I was totally blown away by Hayley, hence becoming a fan. 6(ish) years on I was really disappointed by them. I was on the barrier and getting squished in anticipation of blink but I just felt they came across badly - as if they weren't bothered about being there at all. xx
Reply 336
Original post by blinkbelle
I was on the barrier and getting squished in anticipation of blink but I just felt they came across badly - as if they weren't bothered about being there at all. xx

Leeds?

Probably a result of them seeing that the audience were having a terrible time, might have rubbed off on them...
Reply 337
I have my weekend ticket, obviously, just wanted to go early to beat the rush and stuff but didn't manage to get one yesterday :/

Thanks in advance!
Oh and finally - is this the fourth year running that enter shikari and crystal castles have played?

Quite possibly, and it's something like the fifth (?) year in a row that Frank Turner will be playing. But then he's such a good festival act. :love:

I should clarify since people are discussing the top three bands - it's not just the headliners I have a problem with. 2009 was my favourite Leeds festival and I only actually watched one headliner; they don't make or break the festival for me at all. It's the undercards this year that are, IMO, really not up to scratch. And I'm not saying this out of ignorance either. I actively dislike a lot of the bands on there and I genuinely don't think certain ones deserve to be as high up the lineup as they are.
Original post by Beska

He pulled off headlining 2000 trees- I know that is a completely different kettle of fish but he could pull anything off. If he was headlining a stage I think I would go though.

I hope so many people sing to him.

Quick Reply

Latest