The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wizard710
:woop:

Can't you just turn off the 3D like on the the LG Optimus 3D?

Agreed. 6 Months until my contract is out :smile:

I can upgrade today, my contract is out within 2 months... :biggrin: It's a good time to be me!
Reply 4381
Original post by mikeyd85
Could this be the answer to all Motorola phone owners prayers? I hope so, because a custom ROM on an Atrix has potential.

Apparently it was a hoax :/

If motorola wasn't so god damn slow with their updates, the locked bootloader wouldn't bother me. My 1.2GHz DEFY is crippled with 2.1 (granted, i can put the chinese 2.2 on it, but if i was going to change ROM and tings i'd go for cyanogen, not another motorola one)

Original post by Guvnor

hi-res for phone wallpaper?
Original post by G8D
Samsung Tabs are sounding :coma:

I still cant see the point in a tab, but god damn those are looking good :coma:
Reply 4384
Been an iPhone user since the original.

Looking for a change.

What do you guys recommend? I have been looking at the Desire S and the Incredible S from HTC, but are there better phones out/coming out in the near future?

Its amazing how much cheaper Android phones are when compared to the iPhone!
I think that for the price, the iPad2 really does **** all over Android tabs. £399? That's ridiculously cheap for the amount of power they have.
Original post by G8D
Samsung tabs are priced pretttttty nicely.

Agreed, but the sheer number of iPad apps out there and the quality of some of them would make it very hard for me to go Android tab at the mo. Mainly the music production suites tbh, but they really are very, very good.
Original post by G8D
The main app I'd personally use on a tablet would be the browser :dontknow:

Horses courses eh. OFC, if that's your main reason then Android all the way. Still really can't make up my mind if I actually need or even want a tab! Haha!
The 8.9" Samsung Tab is looking bloody good. It's THINNER than the iPad (say what Stevo? Thin-ness doesn't matter anymore? lol BOTH models are actually thinner), lighter and has the same resolution on a smaller screen (plus SD card slot and Flash-- the iPad simply can't compete imo). I want to see the dimensions though. I suspect the bezel is smaller than the iPad so it could mean it won't be that much bigger than the 7" tablets out there.

This and the Blackberry Playbook are looking pretty awesome. HTC need to move it with the Flyer-- even though it won't have Honeycomb I hear they've sprinkled some magic dust and created a good skin. HTC add more value to their Android products than Samsung imo; Samsung's strategy is to bash you over the head with specs.

$499 for the Samsung 8.9" should translate to the roughly the same price as the iPad 2 once it comes over here. Looking goooood! Oh and the 10.1" tab should be equivalent if not smaller than the iPad 2 dimensions because it has a smaller bezel, so you get a bigger screen. Android tablets are looking good :yes:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by G8D
Same tbh :p:

But it's at least nice to know there are some relatively affordable tablets on the horizon.

Aye. Didn't realise the 8.9" Sammy was so cheap. £343 is starting to get to the point where it doesn't matter if I want or need one... I may as well just get one! :biggrin:
Tablets are great for sitting back, relaxing, and just consuming media. Perfect for sitting on the couch while watching TV, taking to the coffee shop, etc.

I had an iPad (got it last October) but I recently sold it because I just didn't really use it much anymore; my cell phones are just as fast and actually play flash videos. (Captivate/Nexus 1)

If I had the money to spare, I would probably pick up the new Samsung tab because of the size and relatively low price; that and Honeycomb.
I can upgrade today, my contract is out within 2 months... :biggrin: It's a good time to be me!

So Jealous

Original post by Guvnor

I like that, +Rep

I think that for the price, the iPad2 really does **** all over Android tabs. £399? That's ridiculously cheap for the amount of power they have.
It has only come apparent how competatively priced the original iPad was but £399 is a really good price point

Original post by silent ninja
The 8.9" Samsung Tab is looking bloody good. It's THINNER than the iPad (say what Stevo? Thin-ness doesn't matter anymore? lol BOTH models are actually thinner), lighter and has the same resolution on a smaller screen (plus SD card slot and Flash-- the iPad simply can't compete imo). I want to see the dimensions though. I suspect the bezel is smaller than the iPad so it could mean it won't be that much bigger than the 7" tablets out there.

This and the Blackberry Playbook are looking pretty awesome. HTC need to move it with the Flyer-- even though it won't have Honeycomb I hear they've sprinkled some magic dust and created a good skin. HTC add more value to their Android products than Samsung imo; Samsung's strategy is to bash you over the head with specs.

$499 for the Samsung 8.9" should translate to the roughly the same price as the iPad 2 once it comes over here. Looking goooood! Oh and the 10.1" tab should be equivalent if not smaller than the iPad 2 dimensions because it has a smaller bezel, so you get a bigger screen. Android tablets are looking good :yes:

Wow, that looks really good

Aye. Didn't realise the 8.9" Sammy was so cheap. £343 is starting to get to the point where it doesn't matter if I want or need one... I may as well just get one! :biggrin:
I need a new phone first but if I get a decent job over the summer then for £343 then maybe, just maybe.
@300 pounds the Galaxy 8.9 is a sure buy for me.
Original post by yoyo462001
@300 pounds the Galaxy 8.9 is a sure buy for me.

I'd be very surprised.

My guess for the 16gb Wifi only model is £399 to match the iPad 2, and the 10.1" will be something like £430-440. If they do manage to offer at these prices, they are good value imo. The 8.9" is simply looking awesome and might be the sweet spot in terms of size!

Edit: rest in peace Xoom lol
(edited 13 years ago)
Hey guys, just came here for a little advice :smile: I currently have the HTC Hero, on which my contract *finally* runs out in May. But now I'm totally lost on which phone to go for.... it would be nice to have a change, but at the same time, this phone has been amazing *minus a few glitches, slowness and the utterly ****e network*. Definitely don't want a BB, but I don't know much about anything else out there, other than the Desire and iPhone :frown:
Help would be really appreciated :smile:!
Original post by G8D
I assume you want to stick to Android (considering the thread you just posted in :P)?

If you like Sense (what the Hero runs) you could happily get the Desire HD/Z/S or Incredible S and continue with that (all far superior to the Hero).

You should also look at the Nexus S (best phone on the market pre-LG 2X/Atrix) and it runs Vanilla Android so you will get updates as they happen.

What is it you want from your phone?

Thinking about it, the one thing I really want out of a phone is internet browsing, I'm just now used to mine being really slow. I've looked at a couple of friend's Desires and the phone isn't THAT different from the Hero, so I'm not too sure if I can spend another 18 months with something similar! I'll look into Incredible S, haven't heard of that one before :smile:
It's just such a pain choosing a phone!
Original post by eskamulia
Thinking about it, the one thing I really want out of a phone is internet browsing, I'm just now used to mine being really slow. I've looked at a couple of friend's Desires and the phone isn't THAT different from the Hero, so I'm not too sure if I can spend another 18 months with something similar! I'll look into Incredible S, haven't heard of that one before :smile:
It's just such a pain choosing a phone!

Now is kind of a bad time to buy.
The Motorola Atrix and LG Optimus 2X are shortly on the way (LG roughly in next two weeks). Both are dual core Android phones.
The Samsung Galaxy S2 looks awesome and seems to be the one that stands out with its Super AMOLED+ screen. Here's a video of it (chance to brush up on your Ukrainian!). You get a massive 4.3" screen but it's not actually that big itself (although a lot of ppl are complaining the dude in the video has fat hands making the phone look thinner :laugh:). The Samsung Galaxy S2 Mini is also coming and it is similar but with 3.7" screen.

Right this moment the Incredible S and Nexus S seem to be the best phones available.

I'm surprised you didn't find the standard Desire much faster than your Hero. It must render the web pages quickly?
Anyway, all the phones mentioned are Android and each one will fly on the internet (as well as doing HD mirroring and a load of other new things your Hero couldn't do). At least you get a picture of what's to come.
(edited 13 years ago)
Hi all,
I've had my first Android phone for about a month now (HTC Desire). Absolutely love it. Even better is the Android Market - I found a great app on it last night called 'Cell Division'. It's about mitosis and meiosis and I found it just in the nick of time - I'm about to get tested on it at college. Does anyone else have nay good educational apps for Android phones that they recommend?

Jess
Original post by eskamulia
Hey guys, just came here for a little advice :smile: I currently have the HTC Hero, on which my contract *finally* runs out in May. But now I'm totally lost on which phone to go for.... it would be nice to have a change, but at the same time, this phone has been amazing *minus a few glitches, slowness and the utterly ****e network*. Definitely don't want a BB, but I don't know much about anything else out there, other than the Desire and iPhone :frown:
Help would be really appreciated :smile:!

There's a whole hell of a lot that can be done to make tyhe Hero faster! :biggrin:

Edit: Scrap that. There's more beef between elelinux and Feeyo... looks like Cronos is dead again.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4399
What is the best android phone for £100?

Please quote me :smile: