The Student Room Group

How are these sujects marked?

I was wondering how are the following subjects marked: Chemistry, Biology, Physics, English as a Second Language, and Mathematics?

I really want to achieve all A*s. So what is the maximum degree of fault for each of these subjects to get A*s? In other words, how many marks may I lose before getting in the A range?

If you have a source link, please provide it. :wink:

EDIT: All of the subjects mentioned above are IGCSE's.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
With the exception of Mathematics, the aforementioned subjects are heavily coursework-based so make sure you get the top marks. Hence, if you miss out an A* on the exam you can still get get an A*
Reply 2
Do you mean at GCSE or A-level?
At A-level you have to get an A overall (AS+A2) and have to have 90% overall in your A2 modules:smile:
If you mean GCSE though, I don't have a clue, sorry :smile:

Edit; I just realised that this was posted in the GCSE forum, my bad! Sorry haha :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Nayred
With the exception of Mathematics, the aforementioned subjects are heavily coursework-based so make sure you get the top marks. Hence, if you miss out an A* on the exam you can still get get an A*

Well, coursework isn't going to be weighted in my grades. I'm taking all-paper 6 exams for the 3 sciences.
You need 90% overall in the subject to get an A*. The amount of marks you can lose depends on the weight/percentage of that module for the (I)GCSE. Obviously getting a low mark in a bigger section and a high mark in a smaller section isn't as good as getting a higher mark in the bigger section and a lower mark in the smaller section.
Reply 5
Original post by Crazy Paving
You need 90% overall in the subject to get an A*. The amount of marks you can lose depends on the weight/percentage of that module for the (I)GCSE. Obviously getting a low mark in a bigger section and a high mark in a smaller section isn't as good as getting a higher mark in the bigger section and a lower mark in the smaller section.

Exactly what I'm looking for, thanks. Have you any idea about the other grade boundaries?
Original post by aster <3

Exactly what I'm looking for, thanks. Have you any idea about the other grade boundaries?

It goes down in percentages of 10 so:

A* - 90%+
A - 80 - 89%
B - 70 - 79%
C - 60 - 69%
D - 50 - 59%
E - 40 - 49%
F - 30 - 39%
G - 20 - 29%
U - <20%

Obviously focus on everything and do well on everything as you can, but focus more on the modules/section that make up a bigger part of the overall grade ie I got like a C/D on one of my courseworks for English but got an A overall because it was just 5% or so of the overall grade.
Reply 7
Original post by Crazy Paving
It goes down in percentages of 10 so:

A* - 90%+
A - 80 - 89%
B - 70 - 79%
C - 60 - 69%
D - 50 - 59%
E - 40 - 49%
F - 30 - 39%
G - 20 - 29%
U - <20%

Obviously focus on everything and do well on everything as you can, but focus more on the modules/section that make up a bigger part of the overall grade ie I got like a C/D on one of my courseworks for English but got an A overall because it was just 5% or so of the overall grade.

Very, very useful. Thanks a bunch! c:
Reply 8
I was wondering how are the following subjects marked: Chemistry, Biology, Physics, English as a Second Language, and Mathematics?

I really want to achieve all A*s. So what is the maximum degree of fault for each of these subjects to get A*s? In other words, how many marks may I lose before getting in the A range?

If you have a source link, please provide it. :wink:

EDIT: All of the subjects mentioned above are IGCSE's.

I have no idea if it's CIE. Edexcel IGCSE grade boundaries vary from exam to exam and are published on their website (http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/Pages/grade-boundaries.aspx)

the summer 2010 IGCSE boundaries are here
http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/I%20want%20to%20%20Tasks/1006%20iGCSE%20Grade%20Boundaries.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest