The Student Room Group

Dad doesn't want to go to Open Day

Hello everyone :smile:
So I've recently firmed Sheffield to study Journalism and I'm supposed to be going to an Open Day there tomorrow. After a couple of weeks of me asking my Dad to take me he reluctantly said yes but I keep hearing him moaning about it on the phone and saying it's "lunacy" because we live in Devon and it's so far away.

I can of course understand why he wouldn't want to drive 5 hours there and back but just feel a bit like all my friends parents insist on taking them to Open Days and play a massive part and show interest in what they're doing but my Dad seems to be the opposite.

Now he's said he'll take me but I know he'll make me feel bad about it. I just wish he'd want to go and show a bit of interest. I just don't think he realises how much it means to me.

Do you think I should go or not?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Take the train?

Have you ever driven for 10 hours in one day? Thats a long way, and not a very enjoyable experience
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Definately go. Explain to your dad that it's what everyone does pretty much.
Original post by Jesseecar123
Hello everyone :smile:
So I've recently firmed Sheffield to study Journalism and I'm supposed to be going to an Open Day there tomorrow. After a couple of weeks of me asking my Dad to take me he reluctantly said yes but I keep hearing him moaning about it on the phone and saying it's "lunacy" because we live in Devon and it's so far away.

I can of course understand why he wouldn't want to drive 5 hours there and back but just feel a bit like all my friends parents insist on taking them to Open Days and play a massive part and show interest in what they're doing but my Dad seems to be the opposite.

Now he's said he'll take me but I know he'll make me feel bad about it. I just wish he'd want to go and show a bit of interest. I just don't think he realises how much it means to me.

Do you think I should go or not?

I live in Spain and flew to Bristol then got the train to Manchester for mine.
Reply 4
GO! tell him its compulsory or your offer will get withdrawn :P tell a fib, its worth it!
Maybe now'd be a good time to get used to the whole independence thing? I can see why you might want him there, but honestly - that's a really long drive and a lot to ask when you've already made your decision (so it's not like what he thinks is going to make any difference!)

Neither of my parents came to any of my open days cos honestly - it wasn't them who were going to be there. You should defo go though, if you want to.
i took my grandma cos nobody else would go with me. :awesome:
Reply 7
Original post by thesingingmute
i live in spain and flew to bristol then got the train to manchester for mine.

that is what you call determination! :d
Reply 8
Get a train?
Reply 9
Try to go, but I understand how you're feeling - my Mum really showed no interest into any part of my application. But, I think it's better than having a pushy parent that tries to influence your choices too much.

Have you got a friend you could go with & take the train? I ended up bringing my boyfriend.
His lack of support sucks, but I understand the driving thing. My mum and I went by train to open days, it was easier on both of us, so how about that, as others have suggested? Then stay in a hotel or something overnight, travel back the next day.
Reply 11
Go without him? I went by myself to an open day, and although I did get lots of patronisingly sympathetic looks from all the staff, I think it was worth it. Remember, you're going to university alone - you're parents aren't going to be there with you, so if you go to the open day alone it'll be a bit more realistic (or so I felt).

And OP, if you have a 16-25 railcard you get cheaper train tickets. If they're too expensive, check out megabus.com for dirt cheap bus tickets.
Reply 12
The train between Devon and Sheffield is really, really expensive. Megabus will cost like £30 return. Get that. :smile:
Reply 13
Why not go with some mates on the train?
Reply 14
go, it's important to know what each university's atmosphere is like and how good you think it is etc etc. what if you don't go to the open day, apply, get in and THEN realise you don't like it?

at least if that happens you can blame your dad for not taking you in the first place:smile:
Original post by lozz2601
Maybe now'd be a good time to get used to the whole independence thing? I can see why you might want him there, but honestly - that's a really long drive and a lot to ask when you've already made your decision (so it's not like what he thinks is going to make any difference!)

Neither of my parents came to any of my open days cos honestly - it wasn't them who were going to be there. You should defo go though, if you want to.

The main reason I'm sort of bothered about it is because I am really independent already, we don't speak a lot, I do everything for myself, I lived alone for a while.

I think this is just one of those things I'd really like him to come to because it means a lot to me and I want him to be interested in it. I never ask him to do anything :/
Also the train costs 220 quid lol, I was going to take my boyfriend but he's working and tbh I want it to be one of those things I can take my Dad too.
Reply 17
Just go on your own :smile:
You don't necessarily need to go just because other people are. I'm not sure open days really give you a useful, unbiased perspective on what studying there will actually be like. I only went on 1 open day - and that was after getting an offer.
You should go, but you can't make him go.

Think yourself lucky - the first time my Dad ever came to Coventry was my graduation. He didn't come to open days, didn't help me move in, nothing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending